
演讲题目:The multidimensional magic of modern maps
演讲简介:
长期以来,地图帮助我们理解世界 —— 而如今,它们能助力我们塑造世界。数字制图师彼得・威尔钦斯基推出了 “活地球” 项目:这是一个实时更新、数据丰富的地球数字孪生体,融合了卫星图像、传感器数据和人工智能技术。观看(相关内容),你将得以一窥地图的未来 —— 并了解这些新工具如何帮助我们在建设未来的同时,避免破坏地球。
中英文字幕
I'm a digital cartographer by trade, and honestly, the last two, three, four presentations have been incredible.
我是一名数字制图师,老实说,过去的两、三、四次演示令人难以置信。
Maps, historically, they do really two things, and we've really seen an amazing amount of the first: understanding our world.
从历史上看,地图实际上做了两件事,我们确实看到了第一件事:了解我们的世界。
But historically, maps weren't just about understanding.
但从历史上看,地图不仅仅是为了理解。
They were also about creating, about building, about shaping the built environment around us.
它们还涉及创造、建筑、塑造我们周围的建筑环境。
They help us plan cities, do trade, fight wars and maintain peace.
他们帮助我们规划城市、进行贸易、打仗和维护和平。
And as we've digitized these maps, you've seen them fit into our pocket.
当我们将这些地图数字化时,您会看到它们可以装进我们的口袋。
Things that used to take entire libraries, reams of paper, are now in our pocket or in our eyes.
曾经需要整个图书馆的东西、大量的纸张,现在却在我们的口袋里或眼睛里。
But as we move from the information age into the cybernetic age,
但随着我们从信息时代进入控制论时代,
an era dominated by the application of robotics and artificial intelligence to the physical world, cartography needs to change.
在一个以机器人和人工智能应用于物理世界为主导的时代,制图学需要改变。
It's not enough to collaborate in a digital world.
在数字世界中进行合作是不够的。
The challenge in front of us is really to take those technologies and to use them to build physically.
我们面临的挑战实际上是利用这些技术并使用它们进行物理建设。
And for the first time in history, we have the remote sensing capacity on orbit and the technology to process all of the data into a dynamic,
历史上第一次,我们拥有了轨道上的遥感能力和将所有数据处理成动态的、
living replica of the physical Earth inside of a computer -- what we call the "Living Globe."
计算机内部物理地球的活体复制品--我们称之为“活体地球”。"
You can think of this as a sandbox,
你可以将其视为一个沙箱,
a place where you can take the digital representation of our Earth and combine it with a physical representation on the ground,
在这个地方,您可以对地球进行数字化表示,并将其与地面上的物理表示相结合,
and go back and forth so that sensors can show you what's actually happening in real-time.
并来回移动,以便传感器可以实时向您展示实际发生的事情。
Let's make that real.
让我们把这变成现实。
Earlier this year, the Los Angeles wildfires devastated Southern California.
今年早些时候,洛杉矶野火摧毁了南加州。
Many of us were personally impacted or know someone who was.
我们中的许多人都受到过个人影响,或者认识受到影响的人。
Satellite imagery and mapping played a critical role in understanding the impact of that devastation,
卫星图像和地图在了解这场灾难的影响方面发挥了关键作用,
guiding first responders and shining a spotlight on the destruction that happened.
指导急救人员并关注所发生的破坏。
But it's not enough just to look, to observe, to react.
但仅仅观察、观察、反应是不够的。
What's been nagging me since then is that what LA needed, it wasn't satellite imagery, it was water.
从那时起一直困扰着我的是,洛杉矶需要的不是卫星图像,而是水。
Large-scale infrastructure projects, megaprojects,
大型基础设施项目、大型项目、
rapid response systems with firefighting robots that would be able to take out the fire before it started.
配备消防机器人的快速反应系统能够在火灾发生之前将其扑灭。
This used to be how we thought.
这曾经是我们的想法。
200 years ago, we were a civilization of builders with a culture of action.
200年前,我们是一个拥有行动文化的建设者文明。
We built the Erie Canal, the transcontinental railroad, the Hoover Dam -- megaprojects that fundamentally reshaped our Earth, our physical world.
我们建造了伊利运河、横贯大陆的铁路、胡佛大坝--这些大型项目从根本上重塑了我们的地球和物质世界。
But these projects had devastating ramifications.
但这些项目产生了毁灭性的后果。
Unable to predict their impact and know what the results would be, we retreated into the virtual world,
由于无法预测它们的影响并知道结果会是什么,我们退回到虚拟世界,
a world of iPhones and personal computers dominated by individualism.
一个由iPhone和个人电脑主导的世界。
The problem is: the problems of the 21st century, they're fundamentally physical.
问题是:21世纪的问题从根本上来说是物理问题。
They're problems of moving atoms.
它们是移动原子的问题。
When you think about climate change, energy abundance, housing affordability, global security,
当你考虑气候变化、能源丰富、住房负担能力、全球安全时,
these are problems that require regaining a builder's spirit and starting to act upon the physical world once again.
这些问题需要恢复建设者的精神并再次开始对物质世界采取行动。
What we've done is we've taken dozens and dozens of different data sets.
我们所做的就是获取了数十个不同的数据集。
We've fused them together into a dynamic and living representation of the Earth.
我们将它们融合在一起,成为地球的动态和生动的代表。
By pulling these into an ontology so that computers and people can interact with them together,
通过将这些纳入一个实体,以便计算机和人可以与它们一起互动,
we can programmatically start identifying patterns so that we can delegate the monitoring of those patterns to a computer.
我们可以以编程方式开始识别模式,以便我们可以将这些模式的监控委托给计算机。
What we see here is Vancouver, a combination of tree height data, Landsat vegetation data and information from the affordable housing district,
我们在这里看到的是温哥华,树高数据、Landsat植被数据和经济适用房区信息的结合,
showing the blue dots right now.
蓝点上显示的。
What we can start to identify is patterns, things that we can see about the city that affect the way that people live in it.
我们可以开始识别的是模式,即我们可以看到的城市影响人们生活方式的东西。
You can tell that the areas that have a lot of trees protect us against heat.
你可以看出,树木较多的地区可以保护我们免受炎热的影响。
This is heat data showing the density of trees.
这是显示树木密度的热量数据。
And when we pan over to really forested parts of the city, we can tell that the trees are actually protecting us from that heat.
当我们转向城市中真正森林覆盖的地区时,我们可以看出树木实际上正在保护我们免受高温的影响。
So what we've identified is really two patterns here.
所以我们在这里发现了两种模式。
One, that trees are great for economic development.
第一,树木对经济发展很有帮助。
People really desire living in places with trees.
人们真的很想住在有树的地方。
And two, that trees are critical for building a lovely, wonderful city.
第二,树木对于建设一座可爱、美好的城市至关重要。
But it's not enough to have a static map, looking at the past.
但仅仅有一张静态地图,回顾过去是不够的。
Our goal is to have a really dynamic map that's updating in real-time.
我们的目标是拥有一个实时更新的真正动态的地图。
And in the background, dozens of satellites are orbiting the Earth, taking images of Vancouver,
在背景中,数十颗卫星正在绕地球运行,拍摄温哥华的图像,
so that we can start to move from mapping to monitoring to building an instrument panel and a dashboard where we can really understand what's happening in our city in real-time.
这样我们就可以开始从地图转向监控,再转向构建仪表盘和仪表板,让我们能够真正实时了解我们城市中正在发生的事情。
This lets us move away from thinking about individual projects towards thinking about the city as a cohesive whole.
这让我们从考虑单个项目转向将城市视为一个有凝聚力的整体。
An integrated system where all of the projects play together to achieve multidimensional goals.
一个集成的系统,所有项目共同发挥作用以实现多维目标。
So here we have all of the building permits in Vancouver right now.
所以我们现在拥有温哥华的所有建筑许可证。
But that doesn't really tell us what's actually happening on the ground.
但这并不能真正告诉我们当地实际发生了什么。
If we use satellite imagery, we can run change detection algorithms and actually see the places where change is really happening,
如果我们使用卫星图像,我们可以运行变化检测算法并实际看到变化真正发生的地方,
where ground is being broken.
那里的土地正在被打破。
Zooming into one of those, we can see the actual development that's occurring in Vancouver.
放大其中之一,我们可以看到温哥华正在发生的实际发展。
We can see a satellite image of a construction site.
我们可以看到建筑工地的卫星图像。
Moving back in time and turning the trees red with infrared sensors, we can really see trees blossoming and growing,
回到过去,用红外传感器把树变成红色,我们可以真正看到树木开花和生长,
the vegetation changing over time.
植被随着时间的推移而发生变化。
And we can see that this particular one small development in Vancouver cut down a bunch of trees, which is very natural.
我们可以看到温哥华的这个小开发项目砍倒了一堆树木,这是非常自然的。
But in order to have our goal of having a more forested city, we're going to have to plant these trees somewhere else, probably north,
但为了实现我们拥有一个森林覆盖更多的城市的目标,我们必须在其他地方种植这些树,可能是北方,
in that affordable housing district that we saw earlier.
在我们之前看到的那个经济适用房区。
This is what I mean by using maps to build.
这就是我所说的使用地图来构建的意思。
We get a dashboard and an instrument panel for understanding the change in the globe over time, not just in terms of the spatial information,
我们得到了一个仪表板和一个仪器面板,用来了解地球随时间的变化,不仅仅是空间信息,
but in terms of a time series, in terms of metrics and measures that we can use to guide development.
而是就时间序列而言,就我们可以用来指导发展的指标和措施而言。
For the last 50 years, we've really framed the question we have as a society very narrowly: to build or not to build.
在过去的50年里,我们确实非常狭隘地定义了我们作为一个社会的问题:建设还是不建设。
But the important thing about technology is that it eliminates trade-offs.
但技术的重要之处在于它消除了权衡。
It lets you do more with less.
它让您用更少的钱做更多的事。
This living globe, it's not just a mirror for the world, it's also a canvas to build a better future, to visualize it,
这个活生生的地球仪,它不仅是世界的一面镜子,也是建设更美好未来、可视化未来的画布,
and then to summon the collective will to make it happen.
然后召集集体意志来实现这一目标。
I'm really excited to be here and share this with you, and thank you so much for having me.
我真的很高兴来到这里与你们分享这一点,非常感谢你们邀请我。 |
|