
My first memory of fishing was bobber, worm, don't remember the type of rod,
我第一次钓鱼就记得浮标、虫子,不记得我用的是哪种鱼竿,
but I foul hooked a catfish in the back.
但我在后面钓到了一条鲶鱼。
We didn't know how to take the hook out. It was probably barbed.
我们不知道怎么把鱼从鱼钩上取下来,因为有可能钩子上有倒钩。
So, a guy that looked like Santa Claus came down and unhooked it and threw it back in.
然后一个像圣诞老人的人走了过来,把鱼从钩子上取下来,扔回了水里。
I finished college and I turned in my last final in Botany and I went straight to the sporting goods store
我念完了大学,交了最后一份植物学答卷,然后直奔运动用品商店,
and got my license and my first pair of polarized glasses and I went down to the river. And I was done.
我拿到了钓鱼许可证,买了第一副偏光眼镜,然后直接去了河边,就是这样。
It was the end of a huge chapter in my life and I was going to figure out what to do now.
这是我人生一大篇章的结束,那时我必须思考之后要干什么。
And on my first cast, I catch a striped bass about that big.
然后我甩了第一杆,钓到了一条这么大的纹鲈鱼。
And that was about as life-changing as having a kid.
这就跟我有了孩子一样,改变了我的生活。
My life from that moment on completely changed.
从那一刻起,我的生活完全改变了。
It wasn't, I wanted to be a botanist in the rainforests in South America.
之前,我想成为南美雨林当一名植物学家。
It was, I needed to get into fishing.
现在,我想要投身钓鱼。
I started guiding professionally right after college.
大学毕业后,我就开始进行专业指导。
But it wasn't until ten years ago that I hung up my suit and tie to do this full-time.
但直到十年前,我才全副武装,开始正儿八经全职从事钓鱼这份工作。
Along the shores here it's all pickerelweed,
沿岸到处都是紫杉,
which is the purple flower also known as tuckahoe to the Natives that lived here.
是一种是紫色的花,当地人也称其为茯苓。
The big plumes are wild rice and then the large leaves with the fibrous stocks are spatterdock.
这些大的羽状物是野生稻,而带有纤维状物的大叶子则是睡莲。
You hook that stuff, it will break your rod.
如果你的鱼钩钩住了这些植物,鱼竿可能就会折断。
Oh, oh, no he turned. What we are looking for, root balls, depressions,
哦,哦,不,转身了。我们要找的是一些根团、洼地,
anything where those fish can hide from all those birds up above.
以及任何鱼可以躲避鸟类捕食的地方。
So, the benefits of fly fishing versus tackle conventional is,
所以,飞钓相较与传统钓法的优势在于,
let's say I'm casting and there is a fish and it bites and I miss the hook set.
假设我挥杆,有一条鱼上钩了,但是我错过了收杆的时机。
Well, I just throw my line back, throw it again.
这个时候我只需要把鱼线拉回来,再挥一次,
I don't have to reel that whole line in.
不需要慢慢地把鱼线收回来。
Another large mouth.
又上钩了。
I can throw things that are more lifelike
我可以在钩上挂一些更逼真的拟饵,
and put it in a fish's site of view more efficiently than you can with a lure.
然后放到鱼的视野中,这样比普通鱼饵更有效。
I'm going to smash that barb down again. It is getting a little caught.
我要把这个钩子取下来了,把鱼钩得不能呼吸了。
Nice little three-year-old large mouth.
多么漂亮的大嘴,这条小鱼大概三岁。
Sometimes they will have crayfish and other fish sticking out of their throats.
有时候这些鱼的嘴里会吐出小龙虾或其他黏在喉咙里的鱼。
They'll still eat when they are full.
他们吃饱了还会吃。
It's instinct. You can't pass up a meal.
算是一种本能吧,有吃的为什么不吃呢。
Got a nice full belly on it.
肚子也不错。
Everybody that is being stuck at home with their kids and families,
每个被困在家里陪着孩子和家人的人,
there is a bigger need and want for guides to get people out of the house.
他们有更大的需求,想要人把他们带出房子,带到室外。
I wake up more sore than I did a couple of years ago.
我现在起床身上比几年前疼多了,
It's harder to climb in the boat.
爬上船也更难了。
Big turn. But it's still, still rewarding. And I still want to do it.
(大转弯)但我觉得一切都是值得的,我还想继续下去。
Being able to tie your own fly and catch a fish on that is extremely rewarding.
绑上自己的拟饵然后钓到一条鱼,这是一个非常有价值的过程。
I tell people if you can make a peanut butter and jelly sandwich or tie your shoes, you can tie a fly.
我告诉人们,如果你能做花生酱、果冻三明治或系鞋带,那你就可以在鱼竿上绑好拟饵。
It is not that difficult.
并没有那么困难。
My vise. Material prep station.
我的虎钳和备料台。
I only fish my own flies.
我只用自己的拟饵钓鱼。
Using someone else's fly, I'd say, is like using your toothbrush.
如果用别人的就像在用别人的牙刷刷牙一样。
I just don't want to do it. It's gross.
我不想这么做,太恶心了。
So, you take red thread, six aught.
所以,用红线缠绕六圈,
Little base there. Cut that off. And then this is just bead chain.
在这里缠好之后剪去多余的,然后这就是一个珠链了。
And then crisscross.
然后左右上下转动。
This is ostrich plume.
这是鸵鸟羽。
Five, five wraps forward.
把红线向前绕五圈。
One, two, three, four, five.
一,二,三,四,五。
And that is a Snowhite Damsel.
这就是我的“白雪公主”。
And looks like that when it is wet.
打湿的时候就像白雪公主了。
The Tidal Basin may be one of the most unique spots you are ever going to fish.
潮汐湖可能是最独特的钓鱼地之一。
It's like a giant nursery for small fish that come in here,
这里就像一个巨大的小鱼儿苗圃,
hang out and live, but there are big fish in here.
鱼可以在这里畅游、生存,不过也有大鱼。
You might hook something that is 30 or 40 pounds in front of Martin Luther King or Jefferson.
你可以在马丁路德金湖或杰斐逊湖里钓上30或40磅的鱼。
My plan at the beginning was to only guide for a couple of years and then get some other kind of job.
我一开始的计划是只当几年向导,然后再找别的工作。
Even after a super frustrating day, I don't really want to go back to an office job.
但就算经历了非常沮丧的一天,我也再也不想坐办公室了。
Fly fishing is a lifestyle.
飞钓是一种生活方式。
Some people say it is a sport, it's an art. It's definitely a way of life.
有人说这是一种运动,是一种艺术,但这绝对是一种生活方式。
本文来自公众微信号:爱语吧英语
|
|