
演讲题目:The miraculous device that saved my farm and changed my life
演讲简介:
约瑟芬·瓦韦鲁为了维持肯尼亚的小农场生机,每日疲惫不堪地将水挑上山坡。就在这时,她接到了一个意外的电话,带来了一个近乎难以置信的解决方案。她将分享这个简单的装置如何让她的庄稼和她的梦想得以茁壮成长——并在日益严峻的气候变化问题面前,带来了一线希望。
中英文字幕
My name is Josephine Waweru.
我的名字是约瑟芬·瓦沃鲁。
I'm a farmer in rural Kenya.
我是肯尼亚农村的一名农民。
I grow vegetables, coffee and herbal teas, among other things.
我种植蔬菜、咖啡和花草茶等。
Above all, I'm a believer in innovation because just a few years ago I had nothing and a simple innovation saved me.
最重要的是,我相信创新,因为就在几年前,我一无所有,一项简单的创新拯救了我。
Today, I want to share with you one powerful insight.
今天,我想与大家分享一个深刻的见解。
A little bit of reliable water goes a long way.
一点点可靠的水大有帮助。
It can turn bare soil into food.
它可以将光秃秃的土壤变成食物。
It can turn hopelessness into dignity.
它可以将绝望变成尊严。
But in the era of climate change, reliable water is exactly what's becoming very hard to find.
但在气候变化时代,可靠的水源却越来越难去找到。
This is a challenge with millions of smallholder farmers like me around the world.
这对全世界数百万像我这样的小农来说是一个挑战。
We grow a lot of the world's food.
我们种植了世界上的很多食物。
Yet when the rains fail, so do our crops, our income, and our dreams.
然而,当降雨量不足时,我们的农作物、收入和梦想也会随之减少。
I have lived this struggle.
我曾经历过这种斗争。
When I moved back into my village in rural Kenya, I had only one cow named Ashley and one acre of maize.
当我搬回肯尼亚农村的村庄时,我只有一头名叫阿什利的牛和一英亩玉米。
My home was a simple mud-walled house with a tin roof that echoed loudly when it rained.
我的家只有一个简单的泥墙房子,上面的铁皮屋顶在下雨时会有响亮的回响。
If it rained at all.
如果下雨的话。
No electricity, no running water, no supermarkets.
没有电,没有自来水,没有超市。
I started with nothing.
我白手起家。
No experience, zero finances, just responsibility of my children and a small piece of land.
没有经验,资金也为零,只有一小块土地和照顾孩子的责任。
But my biggest challenge was water.
最大的挑战是水。
Ashley drank 120 liters of water each day.
阿什利每天喝120升水。
My only source of water was the river, 400 metres far away from where my home stood.
我唯一的水源是距离我家400米远的那条河。
So imagine me, six times a day, carrying 20 liters, 45 pounds, of water on my back, climbing a steep path.
想象一下,我一天六次,背着20升、45磅的水,爬上一条陡峭的小路。
I fell so many times.
我摔倒了很多次。
Sometimes the water spilled just before I reached home.
有时,在我到家之前,水就洒了出来。
I cried.
我哭了。
I felt like a wasted resource.
我感觉自己像是被浪费的资源。
But I was determined to move on.
但我决心继续前进。
So in 2017, I expanded into fruits and vegetables, hoping to earn more.
所以在2017年,我扩大到水果和蔬菜,希望赚更多。
But without reliable water, I had to hire diesel pumps, paying for fuel and labor.
但如果没有可靠的水,我不得不租用柴油泵,支付燃料和劳动力的费用。
I was spending more money than I was making.
我入不敷出。
So in 2019, I turned into coffee farming, a long-term investment.
所以2019年,我转向了咖啡种植,这是一项长期投资。
I dug a small pond to store rain water, but the rains didn't come.
我挖了一个小池塘来储存雨水,但雨没有来。
By 2020, I was ready to give up.
到了2020年,我准备放弃了。
My coffee plants were drying up.
我的咖啡树正在干涸。
My fish pond was empty.
我的鱼塘是空的。
I remember walking around my farm each morning, talking to my plants, promising them water is coming soon.
我记得每天早上在农场里散步,与我的植物交谈,向它们保证水很快就会来。
But I had no idea how.
但我不知道该怎么做。
One night I lay awake, tears in my eyes, I told God, "If you don't give me a solution, I'll stop farming."
一天晚上,我躺在床上,泪流满面,我告诉上帝,“如果你不给我解决方案,我就停止耕种。”
The next morning at 7 am, my phone rang.
第二天早上7点,我的手机响了。
A woman introduced herself telling me about a solar-powered water pump from SunCulture.
一位女士自我介绍,告诉我SunCulture的太阳能水泵。
I laughed bitterly and told her,
我苦笑着告诉她,
“The devil is a liar. You woke up this early to con people.
“魔鬼就是个骗子。你这么早醒来就是为了欺骗别人。
If you know what's good for you, don't call me again."
如果你不想惹麻烦, 就别再给我打电话了。“
I hung up.
我挂断了电话。
And she called again and again.
她一次又一次地打电话。
Finally, I listened.
最后,我听了。
I went to see the pump myself.
我亲自去看水泵了。
And I saw a real solution.
我看到了一个真正的解决方案。
A pump that didn't need fuel.
不需要燃料的泵。
That didn't depend on the unreliable electricity grid.
这个泵并不依赖于不可靠的电网。
Just the sun.
只依赖太阳。
And the best part?
对我来说最棒的部分呢?
They allowed me to pay slowly, over time, what we call pole pole in Kiswahili.
他们允许我慢慢地分期付款,也就是斯瓦希里语中所说的慢慢来。
I wouldn't have been able to afford the full cost of the system upfront.
其实我本来无法预付系统的全部费用。
I took a leap of faith.
分期付款让我我信心大增。
I dug a shallow well five meters deep, and the company came to install the system.
我挖了一口五米深的浅井,公司来安装系统。
As I saw the pump itself, this big, being lowered into my well, I was so nervous.
当我看到这么大的泵本身被放入我的井里时,我非常紧张。
This would either transform my farming or there'd be another terrible disappointment.
这要么会改变我的农业现状,要么又会让我陷入失望之中。
Once the solar panels were mounted on the roof and the pump was connected, I switched on the pump and within seconds water was flowing.
当太阳能电池板安装在屋顶上并连接水泵后,我打开了泵,几秒之后水就流出来了。
At that moment, I felt a huge weight had been lifted off my shoulders,
那一刻,我感觉肩上的重担卸下了,
and I couldn't help but think about hundreds of millions of small holder farmers all around the world, who wear my shoes.
我不禁想到全世界有数亿小农用着和我相近的方法。
They deserve this miracle.
他们值得这个奇迹。
And that day, everything changed.
那天之后,一切都变了。
I mean everything.
我是说一切。
That night, I couldn't sleep.
那天晚上,我睡不着。
Not because of stress.
不是因为压力。
My mind became a factory of ideas.
我的头脑变成了一个想法加工厂。
With a reliable water source, my farm came to life.
有了可靠的水源,我的农场焕发了生机。
My coffee trees thrived.
我的咖啡树茁壮成长。
Flowers bloomed.
咖啡花肆意地绽放。
I expanded my fish farming to seven ponds.
我将养鱼场扩大到七个池塘。
I embraced black soldier flies farming, turning farm waste into eco-friendly animal feed.
我热衷于养殖黑水虫,将农场废物转化为环保动物饲料。
I planted herbal teas.
我种了花草茶。
I started making kombucha.
我开始制作康普茶。
And I make the best kombucha in the world.
我制作的康普茶是世界上最好的。
For the first time, my farm was making me money instead of draining it.
这是第一次,我的农场为我赚钱而不是把钱耗尽。
I came from nothing.
虽然我白手起家,
And now, I have something.
但是现在,我总算有了成果。
I feel like a very useful resource.
我觉得自己是一个非常有用的资源。
And I'll let you in on a secret.
告诉你们个秘密。
This didn't just happen by chance.
这不是偶然发生的。
This is my vision board.
这是我的愿景板。
One year, I drew out the vision of my life.
有一年,我画出了我的人生愿景。
And here I am ahead of schedule.
我现在提前完成计划了。
But the most important part in this journey is helping other farmers.
但是这段经历中最重要的我是帮助其他农民。
I opened my farm to train others, especially the young people, because I believe youth farming is the future.
我打开了我的农场并训练其他农民 尤其是年轻人,因为我相信农业青年化是农业的未来趋势。
We cannot keep telling our young people that farming is a last resort.
我们不能一直告诉年轻人,农业是最后的手段。
Farming is an opportunity.
农业是一个机会。
Farming is innovation.
农业就是创新。
Farming is business.
农业也是一种商业的形式。
And to my fellow farmers, I don't want you to be like me.
我想对我的农业同行们说,我不希望你们和我一样。
I want you to be better than me.
我希望你们比我更好。
I want you to start your farms with a business plan, not a burden.
我希望你们开农场时有着商业计划,而不是负债累累。
I want you to know, with just a small amount of water, you can do incredible things.
我想让你们知道,只要少量的水,你就可以做出不可思议的事情。
Because this is not just about surviving anymore.
因为这已经不仅仅是生存的问题了。
It's about turning your farm into a thriving business.
这是关于将你们的农场变成一个蓬勃发展的企业。
I know what it feels like to struggle, to question God and to almost give up.
我知道挣扎和质疑上帝的感觉,也知道差点就决定放弃的感觉。
But I also know what it feels [like] to find a solution.
但我也知道找到解决方案的感觉。
A solution that transforms not just a farm, but a life.
这个解决方案不仅改变了农场,还改变了生活。
For me, that solution was a solar-powered pump.
对我来说,这个解决方案是太阳能泵。
But the idea is bigger than one tool.
但是它作为一个想法远比一个工具更重要。
It's about climate-smart solutions like solar-powered water pumps, yes, but also solar-powered cold storage, solar milling machines,
它涉及气候智能解决方案,如太阳能水泵 但也涉及太阳能冷库、太阳能研磨机、
biodigesters for clean cooking fuel, and drought-resistant seeds.
清洁烹饪燃料的生物煮解器和抗旱种子。
These tools help a farmer to use less, waste less, adapt to climate change, and make more from every part of the farm.
这些工具可以帮助农民减少用量,减少浪费,适应气候变化,并从农场的各个部分中获得更多利润。
So I ask policymakers, investors, leaders, how do we make this happen for every farmer?
因此我想请问决策者、投资者、和领导人,我们如何让每个农民都实现这一目标?
What if every smallholder had access to affordable solar irrigation just like I did?
如果每个小农都能像我一样获得负担得起的太阳能灌溉会怎样?
What if we combine this with trainings, visioning tools, and mentorship so as no farmer has to figure it out alone?
如果我们将其与培训、愿景工具和指导结合起来,这样农民就不必独自解决这个问题,会怎样?
This is not charity.
这不是慈善。
This is climate resilience.
这就是气候适应能力。
This is smart investment.
这是明智的投资。
This is food security for all of us.
这是我们所有人的粮食安全。
I know firsthand that it only takes a little bit of the right thing at the right time to change everything.
我以自己的亲身经历体会到,只需要在正确的时间做一点正确的事情就能改变一切。
Together, let's feed the world!
让我们一起养活世界吧!
Thank you.
谢谢。 |
|