
I was born in Kinshasa, the capital city of the Congo,
我出生在刚果的首都,金沙萨,
and I grew up in Kikwit which is a small town.
我在一个叫基奎特的小镇长大。
So, it has brick houses, roads and everything except that there was no running water, no electricity.
那里有砖房,有路,什么都有,就是没有自来水和电。
FS 275. 75 watts each.
每片FS275.75瓦特。
When I was 17, I got really sick and when we called the doctor,
我17岁的时候生了一场重病,当时叫了医生,
she told me, You have appendicitis. You need to go under surgery right away.
她说我得了阑尾炎,必须马上手术。
Unfortunately, there was no electricity in the general hospital.
不幸的是,我们那儿的综合医院没有电。
So, for three days, I was between life and death.
所以,后来三天我都在生死间徘徊。
I'm going to check this and make sure everything...this one is a little bit...
我要检查一下,逐个确保安全...这个地方好像有点...
After those three days, where I was really in pain and I was scared, I found my motivation to become an electrical engineer.
在那三天之后,我真的很痛苦,也很害怕,所以我立志成为一名电力工程师。
This is good. If they break, the whole line is broken. There is this connection here.
很好,如果这些地方断了,那么整条线都断了。连接点在这里。
I just realized that in the 21st century, it is unacceptable that people die because of the lack of electricity.
我觉得,现在都21世纪,还有人因为没有电而死去真的非常不可接受。
I came to the United States to study electrical engineering at The University of Toledo.
来到美国后,我在托莱多大学学习电气工程。
I was very interested in renewable energy.
我对可再生能源很感兴趣。
So, when I was doing my undergrad,
所以,在本科的时候,
I learned to design and install solar systems and completed my bachelor's, my master's and my Ph.D. here.
我学会了设计和安装太阳能系统并取得了学士、硕士和博士学位。
So, this week, we are going to continue with introduction to C and some of...
这周我们继续学习C语言导论和一些...
I could see that it was very important, not only to find solutions to problems,
我认为重要的不仅仅是自己去找到问题的解决方法,
but to teach others how to find solutions, and how to implement those solutions.
更重要的是教会别人如何找到并实施这些解决方法。
So, that's why I became a professor to pass on the knowledge I've learned.
所以,我后来成为了一名教授来传授我所学到的知识。
This is a way to get the answer.
这就是我们找到答案的方法。
Typically I have zero women.
通常我的课上没有女学生。
We are lucky to have three women in class.
不过这次,我们很幸运有三位女同学在课堂上。
You got it? Okay, good.
明白了吗?很好。
Why do we have few women in the STEM field? Science, technology, engineering and math.
为什么我们在理工领域几乎没有女性?科学,技术,工程和数学。
Oh, Connor. Jennifer? It's very easy.
噢,康纳。詹妮弗在哪?
When you go in a store, you see all the toys for women and girls are dolls and things like that,
答案很简单。走进商店你会发现女孩子的玩具都是娃娃之类的东西,
and for the boys, you would have tools.
而男生的玩具就是各种工具。
So unfortunately, society is pretty much sending a message
所以不幸的是,社会在很大程度上传达了这样一个信息:
that science, technology, engineering and math is for men.
科学、技术、工程和数学是给男性设计的。
And then you have the LED here.
这里是LED。
Right now, there's a lot of work that's being done to say, No, you are a woman, you can do STEM.
现在,有很多工作都会告诉女性,说虽然你是女性,你也可以从事理工类的工作。
That message needs to be sent early.
这样的信息应该更早地传递给女性。
After I got my professional engineer license, I started SMIN Power Group because that was my dream.
在我拿到职业工程师执照后,我创办了SMIN电力集团,因为那是我的梦想。
In 2013, then we opened the office in Kinshasa.
2013年,我们在金沙萨开设了办事处。
We installed solar systems and designed solar systems for communities in the Congo.
我们安装太阳能系统,并为刚果的社区设计了太阳能系统。
I always wanted to lead a company that would provide energy solutions in places like Kikwit.
我一直想创办一家在基奎特这样的地方也能提供能源解决方案的公司。
It's not as much the money but it's the social impact coming from my experience,
不是钱的问题,而是我的经历对我产生的社会影响,
you know, almost dying because of the lack of electricity.
毕竟我那时差点因为缺点而丧命。
It was a huge effort to educate the customer.
让客户去了解我们花费了很多精力。
And we were pleased to see that after this effort, that more people are interested in solar in the Congo.
不过,我们很高兴地看到,通过我们的努力,更多的刚果人对太阳能更感兴趣了。
So, it's been a positive experience.
所以,这是一次不错的经历。
The University News Network wrote an article. It was called, Women Killing It in Sustainability and they listed me.
大学新闻网写了一篇文章,叫《可持续性杰出贡献女性》,我就被列入其中。
And Imagination Station read the interview. So, they contacted me.
想象站教育中心读了这篇采访后找到了我。
They said, We are doing the Girl Power! event to introduce girls from Toledo to the STEM field. Would you like to be part of it?
他们说,我们在举行女性赋权活动,想让更多的托莱多女孩从事理工领域的工作。你愿意参加吗?
So that's how I was invited to be the keynote this year.
所以这就是我今年被邀请做主题演讲的原因。
Please help me give a big round of applause to our amazing speaker, Dr. Sandrine Mubenga.
下面,请用热烈的掌声欢迎我们优秀的演讲者,桑德琳·穆本加博士。
Thank you very much for this introduction.
非常感谢您的介绍。
I believe they had about 200 girls attending.
我记得大约有200名女孩参加了那次会议。
It's always energizing to be around young people full of hope, you know.
与充满希望的年轻人在一起总是让我充满活力。
I just love that positive energy.
我喜欢那种正能量。
So that together we can find solutions to our problems.
所以我们能携手找到解决方法。
I was surprised by the level of maturity of some of those girls.
我对其中一些女孩的成熟程度感到惊讶。
I remember one of them asked me, if it was difficult to be a mother and to pursue a career in STEM.
我记得有个女孩问我,同时做一名母亲和在理工领域工作是不是很难。
She must have been 10.
她肯定只有10岁。
And I realized that often times that is a reason that would slow women to go into the STEM field.
我意识到,很多时候,这是阻碍女性进入理工领域的原因之一。
So, I explained to the girl that I basically had my children as I was building my career.
所以,我向那个女孩解释说,我几乎是在追求事业的同时生下孩子的。
If you have a good support system, if you are well organized,
如果你有一个很好的支持系统,如果你非常有条理
you can pursue your dream, have your kids, have your company.
那你当然可以追逐梦想,生孩子的同时也开公司。
I think the best way to encourage more women and young girls is be there.
我认为鼓励更多女性和年轻女孩的最好办法就是现身说法。
You are a natural. Wow!
天呐,你真的很有天赋。
Yeah, she's getting it. She's good.
是的,她明白了。她很棒。
First, show them that it is possible to be done. Great!
首先,让他们知道这是可以实现的。非常好!
I think it's possible that one day, half of my class will be women.
我想有一天,我的班上一半的学生都是女生。
Put your code right there.
在这里输入代码。
If we focus more into introducing STEM early on, in the school program. Thank you. You're welcome. So, this is what we would like to see.
我们可以关注更早地在学校课程中引入理工课程。谢谢,不用谢。所以,这就是我们想要看到的。
|
|