
Materials for the Arts is a 40 year old program.
“废品变艺术”项目至今已有40年历史。
And what we do is that we take donations from everywhere,
我们所做的就是接受世界各地捐赠的废品,
from businesses and individuals,
可能来自企业和个人,
and we bring them to this warehouse where we display them,
然后把它们送到这个仓库里进行展示,
and then twice a week we’re open to our members and we give these things away for free.
然后每周两次,我们向会员开放仓库,免费赠送这些东西。
We are part of the Department of Cultural Affairs in New York City,
我们是纽约市文化事务部下属机构,
so we’re city government,
所以我们也是市政府的一部分,
and we get additional funding from some other agencies,
我们也从其他机构那里得到了额外的资金,
the Department of Education and the Department of Sanitation.
例如教育部和卫生司。
We have dance companies and theater companies and visual arts organizations.
我们的会员有舞蹈公司、戏剧公司和视觉艺术组织。
And we also serve the public schools in New York City.
我们也为纽约市的公立学校服务。
We run a workshop over the summer for teachers,
我们会在暑假里为老师们举办工作坊,
and so we’re always looking for materials.
所以我们一直在寻找材料。
They do a, basically a very short, intense creation process
他们会进行一个短时间的高强度创作过程
where they make their own operas within 5 days.
在5天内制作自己的歌剧。
And so, they’re creating their own costumes and their own sets and things like that.
所以,他们需要制作自己的服装、自己的布景等等。
So, we use this primarily,
所以,这就是我们收集废品的主要目的,
the materials that we’re looking for today are for that.
就是用来支持这些创作项目的。
Mostly fabrics of bright colors.
我们收集的主要是色彩鲜艳的织物。
So we’re doing the Lower East Side festival,
我们即将要举办下东区音乐节,
which is a festival to happen in the Lower East Side.
这是一个在下东区举行的节日。
So, we’re getting a lot of materials to create costumes for the parade.
我们拿到了很多材料来为游行制作服装。
We’re not open to individual artists.
我们的仓库不向个人艺术家开放。
But an individual artist that is working with a non-profit on a public artwork,
除非他在某个公共艺术项目上与某个非盈利组织合作,
like a mural project in a neighborhood,
比如附近的壁画工程,
or a concert in a neighborhood,
或者是附近的音乐会,
if they were sponsored by the member organization,
如果这些个人艺术家是由会员组织赞助的,
then they could come in and get materials for that project only.
那么他们就可以来仓库,但是只能为那个项目收集材料。
In terms of the donors,
就捐赠者而言,
we actually have more individual donors.
实际上我们有更多的个人捐献者。
So, it could be someone like you or me who’s cleaning out a closet
所以,可能是像你或我这样的人正在清理壁橱,
and has some extra bags of yarn
发现了一些额外的纱线,
or we’re moving and we have some things we want to donate.
或者我们要搬家,有一些想捐赠的东西。
But in terms of the volume, it’s businesses in New York City.
但就体量而言,这是一个覆盖纽约市的项目。
We take everything.
我们什么废品都接受。
we take things from across the spectrum
我们接受各式各样的东西
and we never turn something away
我们也从不拒绝捐赠
because we see those materials as valuable art supplies. We don’t take clothing,
因为每一件废品都有其价值。但我们拒绝衣物,
we don’t take new objects because we’d rather those go to other services
拒绝新的东西,因为这些东西可以捐到其他机构去,
which help people in various capacities in New York City.
那样可以帮助纽约市有需要的人。
So, we do programs with students across New York City.
我们为整个纽约市的学生提供项目。
We go to schools.
我们会去学校。
We send teaching artists into schools to create art projects with the teachers, with the students,
我们派艺术老师到学校和老师们、同学们一起创作艺术项目,
and then we have students come here for field trips to Materials for the Arts,
然后我们有学生来这里实地考察艺术材料,
and then get a tour of the facility and they work with an artist.
然后参观一下我们的设施设施,和一位艺术家一起工作。
They make an art project,
他们需要完成一个艺术项目,
and they really learn about how reuse can be a part of art making for them.
然后就能真正了解循环利用是如何成为艺术的一部分的。
That’s a very sustainable thing because budgets in schools are also very limited.
这是一个可持续性的项目,因为学校的预算也非常有限。
So, if you can use what’s around you and put that in your curriculum,
所以,如果你能将身边的东西用于课堂,
then your students can continue to be creative and make projects,
你的学生就可以继续创新、做项目,
without there being a big price tag associated with it.
不用花费巨额的费用。
Back in 1990, the Department of Sanitation realized that
早在1990年,卫生司就意识到,
this was a program of keeping things out of landfill,
这是一个可以防止垃圾填埋的好方法,
and they realized that they should support it and that’s when we began getting money from them.
他们意识到应该支持这个项目,也就是这个时候,他们开始自助这个项目。
So, last year we kept almost two million pounds of materials out of the landfill,
所以,去年我们在垃圾填埋场里拿走了近200万磅的材料,
and we know that because we weigh items when they come in.
我们会将废品称重,所以很清楚总重量。
I think when I work on projects,
我想当我做项目的时候,
I don’t even really imagine buying things,
我甚至都不用去想要买什么东西,
because I know that this is a possible resource to use.
因为我知道这里一应俱全。
And it just makes sense to me.
这对我来说很有意义。
|
|