
演讲题目:Are we born to run?
演讲简介:
麦克杜格尔讲述了一名有着金子般的心的马拉松运动员的故事,不可思议的极限奔跑者,以及在墨西哥的以奔跑为生的隐藏部落的故事。
中英文字幕
Running: it's basically just right, left, right, left, yeah?
奔跑:仅仅就是左、右、左、右、-- 是么?
I mean, we've been doing it for two million years,
我的意思是,我们已经奔跑了两百万年了,
so it's kind of arrogant to assume that I've got something to say that hasn't been said and performed better a long time ago.
由我来说一些从未谈及的和对很久之前我们就擅长的奔跑而言,说三道四似乎有点自大。
But the cool thing about running, as I've discovered, is that something bizarre happens in this activity all the time.
但如我所发现的,关于奔跑最酷的事是在奔跑过程中时刻发生奇异变化的一些事。
Case in point: A couple months ago, if you saw the New York City Marathon, I guarantee you, you saw something that no one has ever seen before.
举个例子:几个月前,如果你看了纽约市马拉松赛,我保证你会看到一些之前从没人见过的事。
An Ethiopian woman named Derartu Tulu turns up at the starting line.
一名名为德拉图·图鲁的埃塞俄比亚妇女出现在起跑线上。
She's 37 years old.
她37岁了,
She hasn't won a marathon of any kind in eight years, and a few months previously, she had almost died in childbirth.
她在八年内还没有赢得过任何形式的马拉松比赛,几个月之前她几乎在分娩中死去。
Derartu Tulu was ready to hang it up and retire from the sport,
德拉图·图鲁已经准备挂靴,从此退出这项运动,
but she decided she'd go for broke and try for one last big payday in the marquee event, the New York City Marathon.
但她决定破釜沉舟,最后在马拉松重头戏纽约市马拉松赛上再做一次大的尝试。
Except -- bad news for Derartu Tulu -- some other people had the same idea, including the Olympic gold medalist, and Paula Radcliffe,
除了 -- 对德拉图·图鲁来说是坏消息 -- 其他一些人也有同样的想法,包括奥林匹克金牌得主葆拉·拉德克利夫,
who is a monster, the fastest woman marathoner in history by far.
她是个奔跑狂人,她是史上迄今最快的女子马拉松选手。
Only 10 minutes off the men's world record, Paula Radcliffe is essentially unbeatable.
仅仅比男子世界纪录慢10分钟,葆拉·拉德克利夫本来是不可战胜的。
That's her competition.
这是她的比赛。
The gun goes off, and -- I mean, she's not even an underdog; she's, like, under the underdogs.
发令枪响后,她不仅是落后;她非常落后。
But the under-underdog hangs tough, and 22 miles into a 26-mile race, there is Derartu Tulu, up there with the lead pack.
但她顽强不屈。在22英里到26英里的路程上,德拉图·图鲁在领跑集团之中。
Now, this is when something really bizarre happens.
这时非常奇异的事情发生了。
Paula Radcliffe, the one person who is sure to snatch the big paycheck from Derartu Tulu's under-underdog hands,
葆拉·拉德克利夫,这个必定要夺冠的人把巨额奖金交到了德拉图·图鲁这个落后者的手中,
suddenly grabs her leg and starts to fall back.
突然拖着她的腿并开始落后。
So we all know what to do in this situation, right?
我们都知道这种情形下要怎么做,对么?
You give her a quick crack in the teeth with your elbow and blaze for the finish line.
你会用肘在她嘴上来一击然后奋力冲向终点。
Derartu Tulu ruins the script.
德拉图·图鲁没有这么做。
Instead of taking off, she falls back and she grabs Paula Radcliffe, and says, "Come on.
不是匆匆离开,她后退并抓住葆拉·拉德克利夫,说道,“加油,
Come with us.
跟上我们。
You can do it." So Paula Radcliffe, unfortunately, does it.
你能做到的。” 因此葆拉·拉德克利夫,不幸地,这么做了。
She catches up with the lead pack and is pushing toward the finish line.
她跟上了领先集团并冲向终点。
But then she falls back again.
但是接下来她又一次落后了。
The second time, Derartu Tulu grabs her and tries to pull her.
德拉图·图鲁第二次抓着她,试着拉着她跑。
And Paula Radcliffe, at that point, says, "I'm done. Go."
这时葆拉·拉德克利夫说道“我不行了。你跑吧。”
So that's a fantastic story, and we all know how it ends.
这是个难以置信的故事,我们都知道最终结局如何。
She loses the check, but she goes home with something bigger and more important.
她错失了奖金,但是她带回家的是些更有意义更重要的东西。
Except Derartu Tulu ruins the script again.
除了德拉图·图鲁再次做了同样的事以外。
Instead of losing, she blazes past the lead pack and wins.
她没有输,她超过了领先集团并赢得了比赛,
Wins the New York City Marathon, goes home with a big fat check.
赢了纽约市马拉松赛,带着大笔奖金回家。
It's a heartwarming story, but if you drill a little bit deeper, you've got to sort of wonder about what exactly was going on there.
这是个暖人心房的故事,但如果你再深入的思考一下,大家可能很想知道当时到底发生了什么。
When you have two outliers in one organism, it's not a coincidence.
当同一组织内出现两次局外人时,这不是巧合。
When you have someone who is more competitive and more compassionate than anybody else in the race, again, it's not a coincidence.
当你知道有人比比赛中任何其他人都更有竞争力更有同情心时,再一次,这不是巧合。
You show me a creature with webbed feet and gills; somehow water's involved.
你向我展示一只有着蹼足和鳃的生物,那它或许与水相关。
Someone with that kind of heart, there's some kind of connection there.
有这样一颗心的人们之间有着某种连接。
And the answer to it, I think, can be found down in the Copper Canyons of Mexico, where there's a reclusive tribe, called the Tarahumara Indians.
我想,答案能在墨西哥铜谷中找到,那儿有一个部落,一个隐居的部落,这个部落被称为塔拉乌马拉印第安人。
Now, the Tarahumara are remarkable for three things.
现在塔拉乌马拉人在三件事上非常出色。
Number one is: they have been living essentially unchanged for the past 400 years.
第一件事是,他们已经基本保持不变的在那儿生活了四百年。
When the conquistadors arrived in North America you had two choices: you either fight back and engage or you could take off.
当西班牙征服者到达北美洲时,当地人只有两个选择:要么进行反击与之交战,要么就离开。
The Mayans and Aztecs engaged, which is why there are very few Mayans and Aztecs.
玛雅人和阿兹特克人选择了交战,这就是为什么现在玛雅人和阿兹特克人非常少的原因。
The Tarahumara had a different strategy.
塔拉乌马拉人有个不同的策略。
They took off and hid in this labyrinthine, networking, spider-webbing system of canyons called the Copper Canyons.
他们离开了,隐藏在这个被称为铜谷的错综复杂的迷宫般的峡谷中,
And there they've remained since the 1600s, essentially the same way they've always been.
他们从1600年起就呆在这儿 --基本上以同样的方式在此生活。
The second thing remarkable about the Tarahumara is: deep into old age -- 70 to 80 years old -- these guys aren't running marathons;
第二件关于塔拉乌马拉人的非常出色的事是,年纪大了以后 -- 70岁到80岁 --这些人不跑马拉松,
they're running mega-marathons.
他们跑超级马拉松。
They're not doing 26 miles, they're doing 100, 150 miles at a time, and apparently without injury, without problems.
他们跑的不是26英里,他们每次跑100英里,150英里,而且显然没有受伤,没有出现问题。
So how do we get back to that again?
那么要多久我们才能再次拥有这样的能力?
Well, I would submit to you the first thing is: get rid of all packaging, all the sales, all the marketing.
好了,我会建议各位首先把所有的包装、所有的销售、所有的买卖放到一边。
Get rid of all the stinking running shoes.
摆脱所有那些讨厌的跑步鞋。
Stop focusing on urban marathons, which, if you do four hours, you suck, and if you do 3:59:59, you're awesome,
停止关注城市马拉松,如果你花了四个小时完成这类比赛,你糟透了。如果你3小时59分59秒完成,你就是了不起的,
because you qualified for another race.
因为你有资格参加另一场比赛。
We need to get back to that sense of playfulness and joyfulness and, I would say,
我们需要找回那种嬉戏和玩乐的感觉,我想说
nakedness, that has made the Tarahumara one of the healthiest and serene cultures in our time.
赤脚奔跑让塔拉乌马拉人的文化成为我们时代中最健康和宁静的文化之一。
So what's the benefit?
那么能得到什么好处?
So what?
那又怎么样?
So you burn off the Häagen-Dazs from the night before.
因此你从前天晚上起扔掉哈根达斯?
But maybe there's another benefit there as well.
但也许还有另一个好处。
Without getting too extreme about this,
关于这个好处,不要变得有点过于极端,
imagine a world where everybody could go out the door and engage in the kind of exercise that's going to make them more relaxed, more serene, more healthy, burn off stress --
想象一个世界其中每个人都能走出门外并参与某种运动,某种能让人们更放松、更宁静、更健康的运动,释放压力 --
where you don't come back into your office a raging maniac anymore,
在这运动中你再也不用像个疯狂的疯子似的回到办公室,
or go home with a lot of stress on top of you again.
也不会带着巨大的压力回到家中。
Maybe there's something between what we are today and what the Tarahumara have always been.
也许在如今的我们生活和塔拉乌马拉人所一直保持的生活之间有些差距。
I don't say let's go back to the Copper Canyons and live on corn and maize, which is the Tarahumara's preferred diet,
我不是说让我们回到铜谷,以塔拉乌马拉人的佳肴玉米和玉蜀黍为生,
but maybe there's somewhere in between.
但也许是介于这两者之间某种事物。
And if we find that thing, maybe there is a big fat Nobel Prize out there.
如果我们找到它,也许能获得个巨大的诺贝尔奖。
Because if somebody could find a way to restore that natural ability that we all enjoyed for most of our existence up until the 1970s or so,
因为如果有人能找到一个方式它能让我们所有人重获这自然能力,我们都能享受所存在的大部分时间用来跑步,这种我们直到大约在二十世纪七十年代还享受着的跑步能力,
the benefits -- social and physical and political and mental -- could be astounding.
那我们从中所能获得的社会的、身体的、政治上的和精神上的益处将会令人震惊。
What I've been seeing today is there is a growing subculture of barefoot runners, people who've gotten rid of their shoes.
我今天所看到的是,有一个成长中的赤足跑步者的亚文化,其中的人们不穿他们的鞋子。
And what they have found uniformly is, you get rid of the shoes, you get rid of the stress, you get rid of the injuries and the ailments.
他们一致地发现不穿鞋子,解脱了压力,摆脱了受伤和疾病。
And what you find is something the Tarahumara have known for a very long time: that this can be a whole lot of fun.
你们所发现的事是塔拉乌马拉人很久以前就已经知道的,这赤脚跑步能带来很多乐趣。
I've experienced it personally myself.
我个人亲身曾经历过。
I was injured all my life; then in my early 40s, I got rid of my shoes and my running ailments have gone away, too.
我一生都在受伤,在我四十出头的时候我不穿鞋子,我身上的疾病也随之消失了。
So hopefully it's something we can all benefit from.
希望我们都能从中受益。
I appreciate your listening to this story.
非常感谢大家来听这个故事。
Thanks very much.
谢谢大家。
|
|