
演讲题目:You are the bridge to the next generation!
演讲简介:
社区领导者恩迪尼·基米斯拉·西卡尔(Ndinini Kimesera Sikar)提出了这样一个问题:“你知道你想传递给下一代什么吗?”她在坦桑尼亚传统的马赛村庄的一个38口的家庭中长大,在那里,人们分担每一件家务,共同歌唱,传颂故事,依靠家庭归属感活着,通过讲述这段经历,她带领我们探索了如何将新旧生活方式融合在一起,建立我们想要的生活。鼓励我们所有人列出我们的未来那些“必备品”的清单。
中英文字幕
We are standing on a bridge between one way of family life and something much different.
我们都站在一座桥梁上, 一座连接着传统家庭生活
与其他不同生活方式的桥梁。
To something that relies not only on human care, but also technology to manage the many responsibilities of raising a family.
它不仅依赖人类护理,还依赖技术来管理养育家庭的许多责任。
My plea to all of you is to be careful and move with intention.
我向大家呼吁
我们要小心谨慎地行动。
Leaving traditions behind for the new ways can be very risky.
将传统方法抛在脑后,转而采用新方法
可能非常有挑战性。
And let me explain.
让我解释一下。
See, I was raised in a Maasai village in Tanzania, in a family of 38.
看,我在坦桑尼亚的马赛村庄长大,家里有38口。
One father, five mothers and 32 siblings.
一位父亲、五位母亲和32个兄弟姐妹。
And I can literally name them all.
而且我可以说出他们所有人的名字。
There's Namelok, Mallya, Samu, Nainoto ...
有Namelok,Mallya,Samu,Nainoto.
I'm just kidding, I won't do that.
开玩笑,我不会在这念完的。
(Laughter)
(笑声)
As a kid, my first job of the day was to milk our cows and goats.
小时候,我一天的第一份工作就是给奶牛和山羊挤奶。
It took about two hours, but we girls did it together.
大约花了两个小时,但我们女孩子会一起完成。
It also hurt my fingers, but I loved it because we sang to the cows to help them relax and give more milk.
这件事让我手指受了伤,
我却乐在其中,因为我们可以给奶牛唱歌帮助它们放松身心,就能多产点牛奶。
After the milking, we went for firewood.
挤完奶后,我们去找柴火。
It took three hours.
花了三个小时。
We girls did it together.
我们几个女孩们也是一起做。
Singing on the way to the bushes, eating fruits and dancing on the pathways.
我们在去灌木丛的路上唱歌,
吃水果,在小路上跳舞。
Next, we went for water.
接下来,我们再去找水。
Another three hours.
又是三个小时。
The water hole was maybe 10 kilometers away.
水坑大约有10公里远。
But we girls did it together.
但我们几个女孩们会一同前往。
Led by our mothers who taught us how to avoid elephants and buffaloes and monkeys who are all going to the same place for the same reason.
在我们母亲的带领下,她教我们如何避开大象、水牛和猴子,因为它们都是出于同样的原因去同一个地方。
By noon, it was time to sit under the trees and learn how to do our beading.
到了中午,是时候坐在树下学习如何打珠子了。
Late in the afternoon, we will see the dust kicked up by our cows coming home and the bells around their necks ringing out.
下午晚些时候,我们会看到奶牛回家时扬起的灰尘,它们脖子上的钟声响起。
My brothers and other warriors will be here soon, and that meant dinner for the whole family.
我的兄弟和其他战士很快就会来这里,
全家会共进晚餐。
While eating, we hear stories from our elders and we sing.
吃饭时,我们听长辈讲故事,唱歌。
We sing a lot.
我们经常唱歌。
I never wanted the day to end, but when it does, we sleep [in] huts on wooden platforms covered with leather.
我从来不想这一天结束,但当它结束时,我们就睡在铺着皮革的木制平台上的小屋里。
There was no such a thing as a pillow.
根本没有枕头这样的东西。
There was fire next to our beds to keep us warm.
我们的床边有火来保暖。
And we had each other, six, seven, eight of us, all snuggled like puppies.
我们有彼此,六个、七个、八个人,都像小狗一样依偎在一起。
It was good.
多么美好。
Around seven years old, I was chosen randomly by the government to go for a primary school.
七岁左右,我被政府随机选中去上小学。
I would not have gone on my own.
原本不是我一个人去的。
In fact, the villagers try to hide kids from outsiders.
事实上,村民们试图把孩子藏起来,不让外人看到。
They know that kids who go to school start speaking a different language, literally and figuratively.
他们知道上学的孩子会开始说不同的语言,无论是字面上还是比喻上。
And parents are not even told where the kids are being taken.
家长甚至没有被告知孩子们被带到哪里。
But I was picked.
但我被选中了。
And then, seven years later, I was selected to attend a secondary school in the city, and my parents cried all night.
然后,七年后,我被选中进入城市的一所中学,我的父母哭了一整夜。
My mother said, "I will not survive without you." And I thought maybe I better remain behind to save my mother.
我妈妈说:
“没有你我活不下去。”
我想也许我最好留在家里陪我的母亲。
See, my father eventually gave me his blessing, so I will not have to leave the village with a curse on me.
我父亲最终给了我祝福,所以我就不必带着诅咒离开村庄了。
Many people have opinions about the Maasai way of life.
许多人对马赛人的生活方式有不同的看法。
It is not all good.
这并不全是好的。
There is genital cutting.
有割礼。
There is forced marriages.
存在强迫婚姻。
And girls are not eligible for inheritance.
女孩没有资格继承。
But I was cared for and I was needed and I belonged.
但我被照顾,我被需要,我属于。
There was always a place for me.
总有一个适合我的地方。
And just between us, I always felt like everyone's favorite.
就在我们之间,我总是觉得自己是每个人的最爱。
(Laughter)
(笑声)
Especially my father's.
尤其是我父亲的。
When I was 15, my family arranged for me to marry a Maasai man with many cows.
我15岁时,家人安排我嫁给一位养了很多牛的马赛人。
Lots of cows.
很多牛。
I said no.
我拒绝了
They found another man, and I said no again.
他们找到了另一个人,我再次拒绝。
They found another husband for me.
他们为我找到了另一个丈夫。
I said no for the third time.
我第三次说不。
And each time there were meetings, tears and shame.
每次开会时,都会流泪和羞愧。
There were other emotions, too.
还有其他情绪。
Some offered quiet encouragement.
有些人默默地鼓励。
Eventually, I left the village for the city and now I live with my chosen husband, three children, a house, a car, a laptop,
最终,我离开村庄来到了城市,现在我和我选择的丈夫、三个孩子、一栋房子、一辆汽车、一台笔记本电脑住在一起,
shoes and even trousers with zippers.
鞋子甚至带拉链的裤子。
(Laughter)
(笑声)
You see, modern families seem to value personal autonomy, while traditional families,
你看,现代家庭似乎重视个人自主权,而传统家庭,
they put more emphasis on resource sharing and collective decision making.
他们更加强调资源共享和集体决策。
So how can we blend these two worlds?
那么我们如何才能融合这两个世界呢?
This is our challenge.
这是我们的挑战。
Mine and yours, too.
我的和你的也是。
See, 25 years ago, I started an organization, the Maasai Women Development Organization, to give women access to education and healthcare.
看,25年前,我成立了一个组织,马赛妇女发展组织,为妇女提供教育和医疗保健的机会。
Here's one way we bring the old into the new.
这是我们将旧事物带入新事物的一种方法。
The first time I gave birth, I was with my mother, other mothers, sisters, cousins and midwives.
我第一次分娩时,我和我的母亲、其他母亲、姐妹、堂兄弟姐妹和助产士在一起。
About 15 people.
大约15人。
So much knowledge in the room.
房间里有这么多知识。
Though my husband had to wait outside.
我丈夫不得不在外面等着。
In the city, for the second child, the hospital said two people only, and their policies were very strict, and they ignored traditional knowledge.
在城里,对于第二个孩子,医院说只能两个人,而且政策非常严格,忽视了传统知识。
At MWEDO, we do a little bit of of both.
在MWEDO,我们两者都做了一点。
So we have clean, prepared birth centers, schools that consider our culture and trained midwives, and we also include our husbands.
因此,我们有干净、准备好的分娩中心、考虑我们文化的学校和训练有素的助产士,我们还包括我们的丈夫。
So the question for everyone here is: How can we integrate the best part of our childhood into the world as it changes?
因此,这里每个人面临的问题是:随着世界的变化,我们如何将童年最美好的部分融入世界?
You see, I don't walk 10 kilometers a day anymore.
你看,我不再每天步行10公里了。
And I'm not on the land with the animals from 5am to sundown anymore.
从凌晨5点到日落,我不再和动物在陆地上了。
I'm not hugged and held by dozens of people a day anymore.
我不再每天被几十个人拥抱和抱着了。
In my modern family, we decided there will be more education, there will be no genital cutting, more playing, no forced marriages.
在我的现代家庭中,我们决定有更多的教育,没有生殖器切割,更多的玩耍,没有强迫婚姻。
But there will be more contributing, more storytelling, and there will be more listening.
但将会有更多的贡献、更多的讲故事、更多的倾听。
And all that can be done in a multigenerational setting while keeping the elders in the position of prominence.
所有这些都可以在多代人的环境下完成,同时保持长辈的地位。
There are costs to moving on, for sure, but I am the bridge.
继续前进肯定是有代价的,但我就是桥梁。
You, too, are a bridge.
你也是一座桥梁。
And whether you know it or not,
无论你知道与否,
what you did as a child is going to sound as foreign to the next generation as the girls singing to cows sounded to you today.
你小时候所做的事情对下一代来说听起来会很陌生,就像今天女孩们对牛唱歌给你听起来一样。
Well, I guess my question is: Do you know what you want to preserve for the next generation?
好吧,我想我的问题是:你知道你想为下一代保留什么吗?
And do you know how you'll do it?
你知道你会怎么做吗?
You see, integration takes intention and strong leadership.
你看,整合需要意图和强有力的领导。
So let's pause and make our list of must haves in the new world.
因此,让我们停下来列出新世界中必须拥有的东西的清单。
Let's make sure, as a species, we can still sing.
让我们确保,作为一个物种,我们仍然可以唱歌。
Thank you.
谢谢
|
|