英语家园

 找回密码
 注册

QQ登录

只需一步,快速开始

扫一扫,访问移动社区

搜索

【TED英语演讲】每日供应一百万份校园午餐的蓝图

发布者: maitian | 发布时间: 2025-10-4 09:26| 查看数: 128| 评论数: 0|



演讲题目:The blueprint for serving a million school lunches — every day

演讲简介:

有时候,给一个孩子提供食物都显得颇具挑战。但这对企业家瓦维拉・恩吉鲁而言并非如此。她从一个临时搭建的厨房为 25 个孩子提供午餐起步,如今已将自己创办的非营利组织 “教育食粮”(Food4Education)打造成了肯尼亚校园供餐体系的重要支柱。



中英文字幕

What do you see when you picture world hunger?

当你想象世界饥饿时,你看到了什么?

A skinny, starving kid in Africa?

非洲的一个瘦弱、饥饿的孩子?

An aid worker swooping in to save the day?

一名援助人员突然介入以挽救局面?

A grain sack stamped with a flag of a distant nation?

印有遥远国家国旗的粮食袋?

Now picture something else.

现在想象一下其他东西。

A farmer harvesting fresh crops,

一名农民收割新鲜农作物,

secure in the knowledge that they will feed local schoolchildren instead of disappearing at a throwaway price to a volatile market.

我们确信它们将养活当地学童,而不是以一次性的价格消失在波动的市场中。

Bustling kitchens across Kenya, serving thousands of meals daily, powered by clean energy and run by local women.

肯尼亚各地繁忙的厨房,每天供应数千顿饭菜,由清洁能源提供动力,由当地妇女经营。

A mother contributing to her child's lunch with a tap of a wristband.

一位母亲轻敲腕带,为孩子提供午餐。

Now the world has long treated hunger as a crisis that Africa suffers and the West solves.

现在,世界长期以来一直将饥饿视为非洲遭受的危机,西方解决。

But what if Africa had the blueprints to feeding the future?

但如果非洲拥有养活未来的蓝图呢?

I was raised in a home where generosity was a way of life.

我在一个慷慨生活方式的家庭长大。

My parents were health care workers and church leaders, and that meant they were always willing to help, even when we didn't have much ourselves.

我的父母是医护人员和教会领袖,这意味着他们总是愿意提供帮助,即使我们自己没有太多东西。

I'll tell you a story.

我给你讲一个故事。

My dad once sold our TV, the only TV we had, to help someone who needed the money.

我爸爸曾经卖掉了我们唯一的电视,去帮助一个需要钱的人。

It sounds so altruistic now, but as a kid, I was really pissed at that.

现在听起来很无私,但作为一个孩子,我对此真的很生气。

And I'm kind of still pissed at it.

我仍然对此感到有点生气。

Our home was never really just ours.

我们的家从来都不是我们的。

There was always someone staying with us.

总有人和我们在一起。

Someone who needed a meal.

需要吃饭的人。

Someone who they just could not turn away.

一个他们无法拒绝的人。

But that spirit shaped me.

但这种精神塑造了我。

When I started a school lunch program, I was not trying to end world hunger.

当我开始学校午餐计划时,我并不是想结束世界饥饿。

I was a 21-year-old university student trying to help kids in my community of Ruiru, a town that's outside of Nairobi, the capital of Kenya.

我是一名21岁的大学生,试图帮助我所在社区鲁鲁的孩子们,鲁鲁是肯尼亚首都内罗毕郊外的一个小镇。

Back where I grew up, kids in my neighborhood did not end up like me.

回到我长大的地方,我邻居的孩子最终并不像我一样。

While I went to school, well-fed, ready and able, they went to class on empty stomachs.

当我吃得饱、做好准备、有能力去上学时,他们却空着肚子去上课。

And as a result, many of them were held back, and others dropped out.

结果,他们中的许多人被阻止了,其他人则退出了。

But I know every single one of them saw their potential being wasted.

但我知道他们中的每一个人都看到自己的潜力被浪费了。

Hunger was a thief of opportunity, one that we had to stop before it swallowed us all.

饥饿是机会的小偷,我们必须在它吞噬我们所有人之前阻止它。

So as a nutrition student, I started researching on school feeding programs.

因此,作为一名营养专业的学生,我开始研究学校供餐计划。

But what I mostly found was flawed systems and broken promises.

但我发现的大多是系统有问题和承诺不到位。

Across Africa, a lot of the food supply was run by foreign organizations, and it was aid-based.

在整个非洲,许多食品供应都是由外国组织运营的,而且是以援助为基础的。

They relied on warehouses full of imported food, sidelining local producers and not involving local communities or governments.

他们依赖装满进口食品的仓库,将当地生产商边缘化,也不涉及当地社区或政府。

Elsewhere in the West, where school meals were almost universal, they had issues of their own.

在西方其他地方,学校膳食几乎普及,但他们也有自己的问题。

Programs relied on processed foods and complex supply chains that were harmful to the environment and local economies.

这些项目依赖于加工食品和复杂的供应链,对环境和当地经济有害。

At home in Kenya, outside a few targeted programs, a few schools provided kids meals, but it was often expensive and inefficient.

在肯尼亚的家中,除了一些有针对性的计划之外,一些学校为孩子们提供膳食,但通常价格昂贵且效率低下。

Schools would often require parents to pay in advance, which was inconceivable for low-income families.

学校通常会要求家长提前付款,这对于低收入家庭来说是不可想象的。

Quality was also an issue, with high incidences of spoilage and contamination.

质量也是一个问题,变质和污染的发生率很高。

So I stopped.

所以我停了下来。

I stopped looking for the perfect model, and I started looking at the strengths of the communities and the people around me.

我不再寻找完美的模式,而是开始关注社区和周围人的优势。

That was a start of Food 4 Education, an African-led and locally run solution to ending childhood hunger.

这是Food 4 Education的开始,Food 4 Education是一个由非洲主导和当地运营的消除儿童饥饿的解决方案。

School feeding programs have existed for hundreds of years.

学校供餐计划已经存在了几百年。

It's one of the most bankable social safety nets a society can offer.

这是一个社会可以提供的最有信誉的社会安全网之一。

In fact, I'm so sure many of you may remember your favorite school meal from your younger days, and I hope that memory is a good one.

事实上,我确信你们中的许多人可能还记得年轻时最喜欢的学校餐,我希望这是一个美好的记忆。

And yet, Africa has the lowest penetration of school feeding programs globally, at just 19 percent.

然而,非洲学校供餐计划的渗透率是全球最低的,仅为19%。

If school meals can be ubiquitous in New York and London, they can and should be in Africa too.

如果学校餐在纽约和伦敦随处可见,那么非洲也可以而且应该如此。

Schools are where children gather, where they spend most of their day.

学校是孩子们聚集的地方,是他们度过一天大部分时间的地方。

In fact, we have 600 million kids in Africa today.

事实上,今天非洲有6亿儿童。

That's a lot of kids.

数量很多。

That makes schools the most practical and impactful place to deliver critical nutrition.

这使得学校成为提供关键营养最实用、最有影响力的地方。

By feeding kids in school, we're not just giving them calories, we're giving them the ability to focus, to grow and to thrive.

通过在学校给孩子们提供食物,我们不仅为他们提供卡路里,还为他们提供专注、成长和茁壮成长的能力。

So today, we harness the power of local governments, parent ownership and technological ingenuity to provide half a million meals daily.

因此,今天,我们利用地方政府的力量、家长所有权和技术独创性,每天提供50万顿饭。

But how?

但如何进行?

Thank you.

谢谢。

School feeding programs have long struggled with global supply chains, so it was obvious to us that we needed to work with local smallholder farmers.

学校供餐计划长期以来一直在与全球供应链作斗争,因此我们显然需要与当地小农合作。

On every plate, there are ingredients that have been harvested in the most recent season, making our meals fresh, nutritious,

每个盘子上都有最近季节收获的食材,让我们的饭菜新鲜、营养,

delicious and supporting our local economies.

美味可口,支持我们当地的经济。

Mary, a supplier from my hometown, now provides us 10,000 times the number of bags of beans than she provided to us in 2012.

来自我家乡的供应商玛丽现在为我们提供的豆子袋数量是2012年她提供的10,000倍。

Her first delivery to us was with a motorbike.

她给我们的第一次送货是用一辆摩托车。

Her latest ...

最近送货是

65 trucks.

65辆卡车。

I love that for her.

非常感谢她。

Our meals are cost-efficient, at just 30 cents, making it Kenya's most affordable and nutritious meal.

我们的膳食具有成本效益,只需30美分,是肯尼亚最实惠、最营养的膳食。

Parents contribute a subsidized amount, and kids just tap to eat.

父母缴纳补贴金额,孩子们只需轻拍即可吃饭。

Our kitchens are built for scale and better for the planet.

我们的厨房是为了规模而建造的,更适合地球。

We have built Africa's largest green kitchen in Nairobi, feeding 60,000 kids a day.

我们在内罗毕建造了非洲最大的绿色厨房,每天为6万名儿童提供食物。

But the key to this work is working hand in hand with government.

但这项工作的关键是与政府携手合作。

Although it's hard, as a truly African and local organization, we've been able to partner with our government for long-term sustainability.

尽管这很难,但作为一个真正的非洲和当地组织,我们能够与我们的政府合作以实现长期可持续发展。

When governments commit to school feeding, it can mean real kitchens, real budgets and real policy changes.

当政府承诺学校供餐时,这可能意味着真正的厨房、真正的预算和真正的政策变化。

It can mean instead of a child relying on an NGO that might go away tomorrow, they can rely on something greater:

这可能意味着孩子可以依靠更大的东西,而不是依赖明天可能消失的非政府组织:

a public commitment to their right to food and education.

对他们的食物权和受教育权的公开承诺。

We want to see that across Africa.

我们希望在整个非洲都能看到这一点。

We are redefining what school meals can and should be.

我们正在重新定义学校餐可以和应该是什么。

Since that first tiny kitchen, feeding 25 kids a day, we've served over 100 million meals.

从第一个小厨房开始,每天为25个孩子提供食物,我们已经提供了超过1亿份食物。

We will feed a million kids a day in Kenya by 2030 and two million more through our work with African governments to make school feeding programs sustainable and scalable.

到2030年,我们将每天为肯尼亚100万儿童提供食物,并通过与非洲各国政府的合作,使学校供餐计划可持续且可扩展,增加200万儿童。

Today, one in eight people in the world are African, like me.

今天,世界上每八个人中就有一个是非洲人,就像我一样。

By 2050, we'll be one in four.

到2050年,我们将达到四分之一。

These kids are the future global workforce.

这些孩子是未来的全球劳动力。

We're feeding a future where kids will know hunger only as a fleeting sense of anticipation and not a constant state of being.

我们正在喂养一个未来,孩子们将饥饿只知道是一种转瞬即逝的期待感,而不是一种持续的存在状态。

A future where all African kids can live up to their potential.

所有非洲孩子都能发挥自己潜力的未来。

But this is not just a Kenyan story or an African story.

但这不仅仅是肯尼亚的故事或非洲的故事。

It's the world's.

这是世界的。

How we feed our kids determines the kind of planet they'll inherit.

我们如何养活孩子决定了他们将继承什么样的地球。

And if we get it right in Africa, the place where humanity began, we might just show the world the way forward.

如果我们在非洲这个人类起源的地方做对了,我们可能会向世界展示前进的道路。

Thank you.

谢谢。


最新评论

关闭

站长推荐上一条 /1 下一条

快速回复 返回顶部 返回列表