Dialogue1:
A: I hate driving to work this way.
我讨厌经这条路驾车上班。
B: Do you mean on South Street?
你是说南街吗?
A: Yeah. It’s the shortest route. But the road is in such bad condition.
是啊。这是最短的路线。但这路面状况实在太差了。
B: I have notieced a lot of bumps in the road.
我留意到路面上有很多起伏。
A: How could you not notice?
你怎能留意不到呢?
B: I think it’s easy for me to ignore since I’m the passenger.
我想对于我来说,要忽略它很容易。因为我是乘客。
A: Well. I’m sick ofit. They never do any repairs here.
我对这真是忍无可忍了。他们从来没有维修过这里。
B: Yes. But if they did road work. They would cause traffic delays.
是啊。但如意他们修路的话。会造成交通堵塞的。
A: Sure. But it would only be for a short time.
当然会。但那只会持续很短的时间而已。
B: You’d still complain.
你还是会抱怨的。
A: No. I wouldn’t. this is worse because it damages my car.
不。我不会的。这样子更糟糕。因为我的车会被弄坏。
B: That is true. Maybe we should go a different way to work.
那是真的。也许我们该走一条不同的路去上班。
A: I’m starting to agree.
我开始同意你的意见了。
B: Well. Let’s detour here to King Street.
那让我们从这里折往国王街吧。
A: It might make us late. But I’ll give it a try.
那会让我们迟到的,但我尽量试试。
Dialogue2:
A: I’m tired of studying. I’m going home
我学得累了。我要回家了。.
B: What are you going to do now?
那你现在打算干什么时候呢?
A: I’m going to watch the boxing match on TV tonight.
我打算今晚看电视转播的拳击比赛。
B: That’s horrible.
那很恐怖。
A: Why do you say that? What are you talking about?
你怎么会那样说呢?你在讲什么?
B: I’m talking about boxing. It should be banned.
我是说拳击。它应该被告禁止。
A: What? Why?
什么?为什么?
B: It’s not real sport, It’s just fighting to entertain people. It’ s so uncivilized.
它不是真正的运动。它只是通过打架来娱乐大众。那太不文明了。
A: I disagree. It teaches people about courage and determination.
我不同意。它教给人们和勇气和坚毅。
B: That’s nonsense. You watch just to see two men beat each other up.
废话。你就是两个人互相殴打。
A: No one forced them to fight each other.
没有人强迫他们互相殴打的。
B: Really? Then how come it’s mostly poor people who box? They don’t have any other choice.
真的吗?那为什么总是穷人去打拳呢?他们别无选择。
A: Maybe you’recompletely right. But I’m still going home to watch the fight.
也许你是完全对的。但我还是要回家看比赛。
B: You should be ashamed.
你应该感到惭愧。
A: I’m. see you later.
我的确感到了。再见。
Dialogue3:
A: I’m not happy with our new boss.
我不喜欢我们的新老板。
B: Why not?
为什么不呢?
A: He doesn’t do anything. He just tells everyone else what to do.
他什么都不做。只是指点别人做这做那。
B: He’s the boss. Isn’t his job to tell otoher people what to do?
他是老板。难道叫其他人干活不就是他的工作吗?
A: No. His job is to direct other people. Not have them do his work for him.
不。他的工作是指挥别人。而不是让别人帮他做他的工作。
B: What do you mean?
你的意思是什么?
A: I mean that he even has other people go to meetings for him. While he goes home early.
我意思是说他甚至要其他人去帮他开会。而他就早早回家了。
B: He doesn’t even go to his own meeting?
他甚至连自己的会议都不去?
A: No. he just comes in for the morning. After giving out a list of what he wants done. He goes home by lunchtime.
不。他只是早上来一下。列出他要做的事情以后。午饭之前就回家了。
B: That’s terrible. How long has he beenyour boss?
那真糟糕。他当了你老板多久啦?
A: about a month. But not for much longer.
大约一个月吧。但不会很久了。
B: Why do you say that?
你怎么这么说?
A: I’m going to see what I can do to get him replaced by the company.
我要看看我能做些什么来让他被公司赶走。
B: Good luck. I hope you’re successful.
祝你好运。我希望你会成功。
Dialogue4:
A: I don’t think schools are as good as they used to be.
我觉得学校不比当年了。
B: Why do you say that?
你怎么那么说?
A: Have you read the newspapers lately?
你最近读报纸了吗?
B: I haven’t read anything about the schools.
我没读到过任何有关学校的事。
A: Math test scores are lower than ever.
数学考试的分数比任何时候都要低。
B: Do you think that’s the fault of the schools?
你认为那是学校的过错吗?
A: I can’t imagine any other reason.
我想不出其它理由了。
B: That’s true. I wonder why schools are getting worse. Though.
那是事实。只是我想知道学校为什么会越来越差。
A:In my opinion. It’s getting more difficult to find good teachers.
在我看来,要找到好的老师越来越难了。
B: Well. They certainly don’t pay them enough.
老师的工资显然偏低
A: I agree. Besides. I don’t think they get enough respect.
我同意,而且,我认为他们没有得到足够的尊重。
B: When my son gets old enough. I may send him to a private school.
当儿子够够读书年龄以后。我可能会送他去私立学校学习。
A: I agree. I think I’ll do the same.
我同意,我想我也会这样做。
Dialogue5:
A: I think the mayor is doing a good job this year.
我想今年市长干得很不错。
B: That’s change from your old opinion.
你以前可不是那样想的。
A: I know. But he’s surprised me with how well he is doing.
我知道。但他的杰出表现真是出乎我意料之外。
B: What makes you say that?
你怎么会那么说?
A: He’s doing a really good job with city services for example
比如说,他在市政服务方面的确做得很好。
B: Like what?
例如说呢?
A: He’s cut back on unneeded spending. While hiring more police officers.
他缩减了不必要的开支。同时又雇了更多的警察。
B: He hasn’t done such a good job. With the roads. Though.
但他在道路问题上没多大建设。
A: I’ll admit that the roads still need work. But no one is perfect.
我承认道路仍需要改善,但人无完人嘛。
B: You can say that because you take the bus to get to work. I have to drive.
你能那么说因为你是乘公车上班的。我是要自己开车的。
A: That’s true. But maybe you should take the bus as well.
那倒是真的。但也许你不妨也乘公车好了。
B: What else do you think he’s doing better?
你认为他还有其他哪些方面是有进步的?
A: He’s gotten rid ofa lot of corruption in the govemment.
他在政府内部大大打击了腐败现象。
B: I have to agree with that. You would not have said such good things about the mayor before.
我不得不同意你所说的。以前你是不会说那么多市长的好话的。
A: I know. But my opinion’s changed. I hope he keeps doing such a good job.
我知道。但我的意见已经改变了。我希望他继续做得那么好。
B: If he does. Then maybe I’ll share your opinion of the mayor.
如果他做得到的话。那么我也许就会同意你对市长的评价价了 |
|