和外国友人相处的时候,可别触犯他们的忌讳哦。
关键词:taboos and superstitions 忌讳和迷信
Superstition 老外也迷信
Jim: Hey Paddy, look at my new shoes
吉姆:嘿,帕迪,看看我的新鞋子。
Paddy: Get those shoes off the table!
帕迪:快把鞋子拿开,别放桌子上!
Jim: Why? They brand new(adj.全新的,崭新的)!
吉姆:为什么?他们是新的!
Paddy: Don’t you know, it’s bad luck to put a new pair of shoes on a table?
帕迪:你难道不知道吗,把鞋子放在桌子上会带来坏运气。
Jim: I didn’t.
吉姆:我不知道。
Paddy: Yeah, it’s like walking under a ladder. You just don’t do it!
帕迪:是,就如你在梯子下走路一样。你不可以这么做!
Jim: I don’t believe in all that superstitious rubbish(n.垃圾,废物) Paddy.
吉姆:帕迪,我可不相信任何关于迷信的无稽之谈。
Paddy: Well there’s a practical reason behind every superstition.
帕迪:在每个迷信背后,都会有一个很实际的理由。
Jim: Really?
吉姆:是吗?
Paddy: Yes. Somebody may have worn them before. Just because you have just bought them, does not mean they are clean. My mother would have killed me if I put a new pair of shoes on the table.
帕迪:是的。一些人或许之前曾经穿过这些鞋。只是因为你买了它们,不代表它们就是全新的。如果我把一双新鞋放在桌子上的话,我的妈妈会"杀"了我。
Let’s go over some phrases now. 让我们一起来回顾一下有用的短语吧!
brand-new: 全新的,崭新的
taboo:忌讳
Every culture has taboos and superstitions.每种文化都会有忌讳和一些迷信。(例如:中国人不会送钟给朋友,等等)
knock on wood/touch the wood 求好运
The phrase refers to rapping on something made of wood, as a way of making a wish for good luck.用手敲击或者触碰木头,被认为可以趋吉避凶。因此,knock on wood或者touch the wood表示乞求好运。
Examples:
The people around me all have caught a cold!Touch the wood. 我周围的所有人都已经感冒了。但愿继续保持好运(别感冒了)。
I knock on wood when I wish something were true. 当我希望事情是真的的时候,我就会敲敲木头祈求好运。 |
|