Dialogue 1:
A: Hello, Mr.Porter. Please have a seat.
你好,波特先生,请坐。
B: Thank you.
谢谢。
A: I like what I see in your application. I just need to ask you a few questions.
我看了你的申请表,感到挺满意的。我只需要再问你几个问题就可以了。
B: Please go right ahead. I hope I can help.
请问吧,希望我能帮上忙。
A: Good. My first question is, how do you feel about working in a small company?
好的。我的第一个问题是,你对在一个小公司工作有什么看法?
B: I'd prefer to work in a small company. It’s easier to make things happen.
我更喜欢在小公司工作,在小公司工作更容易出成绩。
A: I agree. Do you get along well with co-workers?
我也赞成。你跟同事相处得好吗?
B: I've never had any problems before.
我以前跟同事相处从来都没问题。
A: Good. How do you feel about working on weekends? Sometimes that’s necessary here.
好的。你怎么看待周末上班?我们这里有时候需要周末上班。
B: I'm a young guy. I’ll do what it takes to get the job done.
我是个年轻人。为了完成工作,做什么都无所谓。
A: Excellent. Do you have a family, Mr. Porter?
好极了。波特先生,你成家了吗?
B: I have a fiancée. We’ll be married in August.
我有个未婚妻,我们计划在八月份结婚。
A: Congratulations.That’s nice. I hope you know that your wife will be a welcome part of our company.
We encourage family life here. /ɛnˈkɚrɪdʒ/
祝贺你。真是太好了。我希望你明白,你的妻子也是我们公司欢迎你加盟的原因之一。
我们这里对家庭生活持鼓励态度。
B: That’s what I’ve been told.
别人也是这样对我说的。
A: Well, I like what I see here. If you don't have any questions, then let me be the first to say welcome to our company.
好的。我对所有都挺满意的。如果你没有什么问题,那就让我第一个代表公司对你说欢迎你的加入吧。
Dialogue 2:
A: Have you heard the rumor about the new management?/ˈrumɚ/
你有没有听说过一些关于新管理层的传言?
B: No. What is it?
没有啊,什么传言?
A: Apparently they were brought in to cut costs. They’re going to be reducing some of the departments.
很显然,新管理层上任是为了降低成本,他们打算缩减一些部门。
B: That means firing people.
那就是说要裁员了。
A: Exactly. Iwonder who will get cut.
没错啊。我很想知道哪些人会被炒。
B: I'm sure the marketing section will be cut pretty hard.
我敢肯定营销部会炒掉许多人。
A: I agree. That section is too big and a lot of the workers take their jobs for granted.
我也这么觉得。那个部门太多人了而且许多人对工作都是应付了事。
B: I wonder when we'll know for sure.
我想知道什么时候才有准确的消息。
A: It will probably be a few weeks from now. The new management will have to evaluate the companyfor a little bit.
有可能要过几个星期。新的管理层,得花点时间对公司进行评估。
B: Maybe they've already done that.
也许他们已经评估完成了。
A: That's possible.If so, we'll be hearing about it soon.
有可能。如果是这样,很快我们就会听到裁员的消息了。
B: I think our jobs are safe, though.
不过,我认为我们的工作还是有保障的。
A: I'm sure they are. We're more qualified that most people here. /ˈkwɑləˌfaɪd /
我敢肯定是这样。我们比这里的大多数人都更胜任。
B: Maybe some cuts will be good for the company.
也许裁掉一些人对公司是有好处的。
A: They could be good. We'll just have to wait and see.
肯定有好处啊。我们就等着看结果吧。
Dialogue 3:
A: You wanted to see me, sir?
你要见我吗,先生?
B: Yes, James.Please come in and sit down. I wanted to ask you about your sales lately.
是的,詹姆斯。进来,坐吧。我想就最近的销售情况问问你。
A: What about, sir?
关于什么呢,先生?
B: I'll be blunt. You haven’t made a single sale in the past 3 weeks. What is going on?
我就单刀直入吧。过去三个星期你连一单生意都没做成。这是怎么回事?
A: It's January, sir.The yacht market is slow this time of year. /jɑt/
现在是一月份,先生。每年这个时候游艇销售都是淡季。
B: I understand that. But all my other salesmen have managed at least one sale this month.
这点我清楚。可是别的销售人员这个月至少做成了一单。
A: I don't know what to say, sir. I suppose I'm having some bad luck.
我不知道该说什么,先生。我想是我的运气不好吧。
B: Bad luck? I can't afford for my people to have bad luck.
运气不好?我可承担不起我的手下运气不好。
A: I'm aware of that sir.
我明白,先生。
B: Are you aware that I don't want to have this conversation again?
我不想有第二次这样的谈话了,你明白吗?
A: Yes. I understand. I'll see what I can do.
是的,我明白。我知道该怎么做了。
B: You'd better.Get on the phones more. Start talking to people. Stay late if you have to.
你最好多想办法,勤打打电话,多跟别人聊聊。如果有必要,加加班。
A: Yes, sir. I think I can improve the situation.
是的。先生。我想我能扭转现在这种局面。
B: I hope you can.That’s all I have. Do you have any questions?
希望你做到。我要说的就这些。你有什么问题吗?
A: No questions,sir.
没问题。先生。
B: Good. I'll talk to you later. Good bye.
好吧。我以后再找你谈。再见。
Dialogue 4:
A: Hi there, Doris. Welcome back.
你好,Doris,欢迎回来。
B: I can't believe I'm already back at work.
真不敢相信我已经回来上班了。
A: How was your trip to Europe?
去欧洲的旅行怎么样?
B: It was wonderful. It was like a second honey moon for Jonathan and me.
妙极了,对于乔纳森和我来说。就像二度蜜月一样。
A: That does sound nice. Where did you go?
听起来真不错。你们都去哪儿了?
B: We flew to London, and then took a train to Paris. From there we went to Rome.
我们坐飞机到伦敦,然后乘火车到巴黎,从那里我们再去罗马。
A: I need to takea trip like that. You even seem to have a tan.
我也需要来这样的一次旅行。你连皮肤都晒成古铜色了。
B: Just 48 hours ago I was on the beach in Italy .
仅仅48小时以前我还在意大利的海滩上呢。
A: I'm so jealous.I don't know why you even came back.
我羡慕死了,我真不明白你竟然还舍得回来上班。
B: I don't either.It looks like I've got a lot of work on my desk.
我也不想回来,不过我的桌子上好像已经堆了一大堆工作。
A: Yes.Unfortunately, the sales orders really piled up while you were gone.
没错。很不凑巧,你离开的这段时间订单确实来了一大堆。
B: Oh, well, I guess I'd better get started.
噢,好了。我想我最好得开始干活了。
A: I'll try to help you make a dent in some of that work.
我会尽力帮你着手其中一些工作。
B: Really? Oh, that would be great.
真的吗?那就太好了。
A: In return, you have to do me one favor.
作为回报,你得帮我个忙。
B: What is it?Just name it and I'll do it .
什么忙?尽管说出来,我一定帮。
A: All you have to do is tell me more about your vacation.
你只需要多給我讲讲关于你度假的事情。
B: That seems easy enough.
那再容易不过了。
Dialogue 5:
A: Hello ?
喂?
B: Yes, this is Stacy Edwards from Pullman Real Estate. Is that Oliver Stanford?
你好,我是晋尔曼房地产公司的史蒂茜.爱德华。请问是奥利弗.斯坦福吗?
A: Yes, it is.What can I do for you?
是的。有什么能为你效劳吗?
B: We have some good news on the sale of your house.
我们有一个好消息告诉你,是关于你要卖房的事。
A: Well, don't keep me in suspense . What is it?
好了。别吊我胃口了。是什么消息?
B: We have a buy erinterested in your place.
我们有一位买家对你的房子感兴趣。
A: How much does he want it for?
他出价多少?
B: He's offered $300,000.
他出价300,000美元。
A: That's above market value. That's a pretty generous offer.
那价格可是高出市场价了,真是个相当大方的出价。
B: That's what we think. We'd like to set up a meeting between you two.
我们也这么想,我们想给你们俩定个会面的时间。
A: Yes, that would be good. When were you thinking?
好的,那太好了。你们打算什么时候?
B: He wanted to meet next Tuesday afternoon.
对方想下个星期二下午见面。
A: That's fine with me. Will this be at your office?
我没问题。是在你的办公室见面吗?
B: Yes, and then we thought we could come to see the house.
是的。而且我们想到时我们可以一起去看看房子。
A: That would be excellent. I'll see you then.
那太好了,到时见。
B: Thank you. Bye now.
谢谢,再见。 |
|