英语家园

找回密码
 注册

QQ登录

只需一步,快速开始

搜索

Voodoo Magic ——伏都巫术

发布者: yingy1ng | 发布时间: 2010-9-10 17:11| 查看数: 1380| 评论数: 0|

I've lived in New Orleans for years, now. I never met my father, and my Mother and I were very poor. We lived on Dauphine Street in the French Quarter for the longest time. Though the French Market is a big tourist attraction, thanks to the voodoo dolls, NO T-shirts, etc., it does sell things like Creole cooking stuff (i.e. spices, peppers, etc.).

One day, I was about five or so, and I saw this pink (my favorite color at the time) voodoo doll on one of the stands in the actual tourist attraction part. It was one of our last days (we were moving out of NO), so my mother paid the man a dollar so I might have something to remember the only home I had ever known by. We finished up our browsing and headed out to home, finishing loading our stuff into the little car.

Just shy of a half hour later, my mother and I stopped at the Mississippi Welcome Center by the bridge. My mother's parents had lived in Mississippi for the longest time. They moved from Hattiesburg to Pass Christian with my mom when she was about sixteen (plus or minus). When they died, my mother buried them in a graveyard in north Mississippi, just on the outskirts of Hattiesburg, where it's pretty deserted and quiet- my grandmother (who died first)'s dream. My grandfather died less than a two months later.

迄今为止,我已经在新奥尔良 生活了多年。我从未见过我的父亲。 我和母亲的生活非常贫困。我们在法国人居住区内的多芬街住的时间最长。虽然法国人的市场是一处有名的游览胜地,但是由于伏都人偶和新奥尔良T恤都有在卖的原因,市场里也卖克利奥尔人 的烹饪材料之类的东西(即香料、胡椒等)。

我五岁左右的一天,在当时吸引观光客部分的货架上,看到了这个粉色的(当时我最喜欢的颜色)伏都人偶。那是我们留在那里的最后几天(我们正准备搬出新奥尔良),所以母亲付了老板一美元,好让我买点东西,来纪念我记忆中唯一的家。我们闲逛完后,回了家,把行李装到小车上。

只在不到半个小时的时间后,母亲和我停在了位于桥边的密西西比州接待中心。母亲的父母一生中最长的时间住在密西西比。他们带着我母亲从哈蒂斯堡移居帕斯伊克里斯琴,那时母亲16岁左右(可能大点或小点)。他们死后,母亲把他们葬在密西西比北部的一块墓地,就在哈蒂斯堡的市郊,那里相当地荒芜和安静——这是祖母(她先走了一步)的心愿。祖父不到两个月后也去了。

My mother turned to me and said, "Sarah, do you want to go visit your grandmother and grandfather?" I nodded, clutching the dolls till in my hand. After stretching our legs, my mother became pretty upset at how I kept carrying the doll around. I hadn't let it go since we left the market. She took it from me and threw it on the ground. In her defense, she had been taking pills for depression, and her hormones had been incredibly active. I cried for about an hour after we left. We went to the graveyard, and we said our prayers.

My mom needed to use the restroom in the funeral home, so while she was gone, I went exploring. It was pretty windy- the effects of Hurricane George. There was hardly anything worth telling about, as it wasn't too bad. I gradually sauntered into the woods and looked around, bored out of my mind. I stopped and did a double-take when I thought I saw my voodoo doll hanging from a tree, suspended by the neck, with a large bird by its side (strange, yes, I know).

I have no cordial relationship with birds. I neither like them nor dislike them. I don't know much about them at all. But I don't think I've ever seen such a large bird. It a little bigger than a vulture, but it probably wasn't by much.

A few years later, my step dad and my mother were gone from the house- a completely different house. They were both out to have a romantic dinner by themselves. It wasn't my first time being alone. I was lying on their bed, watching TV, when I heard something at the door. By that time, we had two dogs in the backyard. I went outside and walked around, one dog (a jack Russell) in my arm, the other dog (a chocolate lab) being dragged there by the collar. I looked to the window. Nothing. I turned back around, and my breath was taken.

母亲转过身对我说:“莎拉,想去看看你的祖父、祖母吗?”我点点头,把那些人偶紧紧抓在手里。下车后,母亲对我无论去哪儿都一直拿着人偶的行为变得非常不安。我们离开市场后,我就没放下过它。她把它抢过去,扔在地上。为了保护自己,她在服用抗抑郁的药物,激素活动极其活跃。我们离开后我哭了大概一个小时。我们去了墓地,做了祷告。在殡仪馆,母亲去了洗手间。她去的时候,我出来闲逛。那天风很大——是受了“乔治”飓风的影响。关于飓风没什么可说的,因为天气不是太坏。我慢慢地逛进了树林,到处看着,无聊得发疯。当我以为看到了我的伏都人偶时,恍然回神,停了下来。它挂在树上,脖子被吊着,一只大鸟站在旁边(很奇怪,是的,这我知道)。我对鸟类没什么激烈的感情,不喜欢它们,也不讨厌。我对它们根本不怎么了解,但是我想我从没见过这么大的鸟。它比秃鹰还要大一点,但是可能大的不多。

几年后的一天,我继父和母亲出了家门——那是一所完全不同的房子。他们单独出去吃浪漫的晚餐。那不是我第一次一个人在家,我躺在他们的床上,看着电视,其间听到门口有什么响动。那时我们在后院喂了两只狗,我出去转了一圈,抱着一只狗(一只杰克罗素梗 ),拖着另一只(一只巧克力色的拉布拉多寻回犬)的项圈。我看向窗户。什么也没有。我转过身,呼吸一下停住了。

It was that bird again. Clear as day. I looked to the ground instantly, and I saw my voodoo doll. I took a step towards it, and it flew off, disappeared, whatever when I blinked. The voodoo doll was gone as well.

Once again, we skip time to the house I am currently living in now. We finally got a computer with Internet, and my mother and I put it by the window (dad's outta the picture again). We just moved in, and the previous owners had put miniblinds on the windows. It was a pretty nice day; it had blue skies, sunny...

I went to the computer and started instant messaging my friends. I know this sounds weird, but I was so interested in my friends, I didn't even notice the sky had gotten darker- not much, just enough. The computer is in the corner of the room, where there are two windows against my left wall, and two windows on the north wall. Wouldn't you know it, guess where we put the computer? Right in between them! I took a breath, leaning back in my chair. One of them (the fast/normal-speed typist) logged out. I looked to my window and (literally) jumped out of my chair, scrambling on the floor. There was the shadow of that bird. I screamed, and it flew off. I ran outside as hastily as possible and walked to the window where it was. I bent down and picked up my doll in the grass. To this day, it's resting on the counter in the kitchen.

又是那只鸟。看得一清二楚。我马上向地上看去,看到了我的伏都人偶。我朝它迈了一步,它飞了起来,在我眨眼的一瞬间消失了,不知去了哪里。那个伏都人偶也不见了。

让我们再次略过时间,把故事带到我们现在住的房子。我们终于有了电脑,能上网了。母亲和我把电脑放在窗旁(我又没有父亲了)。我们只是搬了进去,以前的房子主人在窗户上装了百叶窗。那天天气很好,天很蓝,阳光灿烂……

我坐到电脑前,开始与朋友们即时聊天。我知道这听起来很古怪,但是我当时与朋友聊得太投入了,没有注意到天变暗了——暗得不是太明显,只是足以让人察觉。我左边的墙上有两扇窗户,北面的墙上也有两个窗户。你不会知道的,猜猜我们把电脑放在了哪里?在它们的正中间!我吸了口气,向后靠向椅背,其中一人(打字速度最快/标准的那人)下线了。我看向窗户,(完全地)从椅子上跳了起来,跌在地上乱爬。是那只鸟的身影。我尖叫起来,它飞走了。我以最快的速度跑到外面,走到它停留的窗口,弯下腰,从草丛中捡起我的伏都人偶。直到今天,它一直被放在厨房的柜子上。

最新评论

快速回复 返回顶部 返回列表