QQ登录

只需一步,快速开始

扫一扫,访问移动社区

搜索

气候解决方案?代代相传的智慧

发布者: 五毒 | 发布时间: 2024-6-4 03:39| 查看数: 89| 评论数: 0|

When I was a little girl,

当我还是个小女孩的时候,

my parents would take me outside and show me all the incredible ways that they would take care of our land to produce good food.

我的父母会带我出去,向我展示他们照顾我们的土地以生产优质食物的所有令人难以置信的方法。

And I would begrudgingly follow them out and listen to the stories that they had to say.

我会不情愿地跟着他们出去,听他们说的故事。

And their pieces of advice would range from totally rational and practical to absolutely bizarre.

他们的建议范围从完全理性、实用到绝对奇怪。

For example, my grandfather would say, "Hey Louise, if you want to plant good root crops this season,

例如,我的祖父会说:“嘿,路易丝,如果你想在这个季节种植好的根茎作物,

what you should do is plant some rocks underneath your sweet potatoes." And I would look at him and be like, "OK, Grandpa, sure. I totally believe you."

你应该做的是在红薯下面种一些石头。“我会看着他说,‘好吧,爷爷,当然。我完全相信你。"

And my grandmother would say, "OK, to have the best harvest of fruits from the fruit-bearing trees this season, you want to be able to plant according to lunar cycles.

我的祖母会说:“好吧,为了让这个季节的结果树获得最好的收成,你希望能够根据月球周期种植。

You want to plan towards the full moon and never towards a new moon."

你想计划接近满月,而不是新月。"

And I would look at her and say, "What?" And my dad, most bizarrely of all, would say,

我会看着她说:“什么?“最奇怪的是,我父亲会说,

"If you want to sift rice or cocoa nibs to get rid of all the dust, the best thing that you can do is to whistle a certain tone to harness the wind."

“如果你想筛选大米或可可粒以去除所有灰尘,你能做的最好的事情就是吹出一定的音调来利用风。"

And I'd be like, "Dad, like airbending ?" "OK, sure."

我会说,“爸爸,喜欢御气术吗?”“好吧,当然。"

So as I grew up, I would ask them, "Why?

所以随着我长大,我会问他们:“为什么?

Why do we do all these weird, strange things," right?

为什么我们要做所有这些奇怪、奇怪的事情,”对吧?

And my relatives and my family would come up to me and be like, "Louise, here's the thing.

我的亲戚和家人会走过来对我说,“路易丝,事情是这样的。

Your grandparents are kind of crazy. So this is just traditions. You don't have to think about it. It's fine."

你的祖父母有点疯狂。所以这只是传统。你不必考虑它。没事的"

But my work has put me at the frontlines of the climate crisis,

但我的工作让我站在了气候危机的前线,

working with communities and farmers to build resilient agroforests that really react best to the intense super typhoons that we experience.

与社区和农民合作,建设有弹性的农林业,真正对我们经历的强烈超级台风做出最好的反应。

I established an initiative called the Cacao Project,

我建立了一个名为可可项目的倡议,

which works to build these resilient agroforests and work closely with farmers to understand how we could best steward our ecosystems and landscapes.

该中心致力于建设这些有弹性的农林业,并与农民密切合作,了解我们如何最好地管理我们的生态系统和景观。

And over the years, I've been able to really do my best dream job, which is make chocolates for restoration. And I have the best job, I know.

多年来,我已经能够真正完成我最梦想的工作,那就是制作修复巧克力。我知道,我有最好的工作。

I get to eat chocolates, talk to farmers, live on the land and have such a good life.

我可以吃巧克力,与农民交谈,住在土地上,过上如此美好的生活。

And we look at the ways that we can marry practical, traditional knowledge techniques with modern science and know-how,

我们研究如何将实用的传统知识技术与现代科学和专业知识结合起来,

so that we could really put a spotlight on those simple, practical solutions that react effectively to climate change.

以便我们真正关注那些有效应对气候变化的简单、实用的解决方案。

Now over the years I've trained with farmers, and we make sure that learning is a two-way street where we listen to the stories that they have to say,

多年来,我一直在与农民一起培训,我们确保学习是一条双向的道路,我们倾听他们说的故事,

but also be able to teach them regeneration.

而且还能够教他们重生。

So very simple concepts, like putting more carbon back in the soil than we take from it,

所以非常简单的概念,比如在土壤中注入比我们从土壤中吸收的更多的碳,

or maybe planting the crops that are suited to our ecosystems and our landscapes.

或者种植适合我们的生态系统和景观的作物。

And even propagating the life that strengthens our forests and our trees.

甚至繁殖生命来增强我们的森林和树木。

And as I was talking to these farmers, these crazy stories started resurfacing, and I said, "OK, hang on, hang on.

当我与这些农民交谈时,这些疯狂的故事开始重新浮出水面,我说:“好吧,等一下,等一下。

Maybe they're on to something here." So together with our farmers, we started kind of trying it out.

也许他们在这里找到了一些东西。“所以我们和我们的农民一起开始尝试它。

OK, let's plant some rocks here and see what happens.

好吧,让我们在这里种植一些石头,看看会发生什么。

OK, let's plant according to the lunar cycles.

好吧,让我们根据月球周期种植。

And for some reason, every single time that we would do that, it would work.

出于某种原因,每次我们这样做,它都会起作用。

When we plant rocks under sweet potatoes, they were better, sweeter, just more delicious.

当我们在红薯下面种植岩石时,它们会更好、更甜、更美味。

Every time we planted according to lunar cycles, we'd have delicious harvests.

每次我们按照月球周期种植,都会有美味的收成。

And I thought, maybe, what if all of these weird stories are just kind of decades of peer review that has passed down from grandmother to grandson,

我想,也许,如果所有这些奇怪的故事只是几十年的同行评论,从祖母传给孙子,

from father to daughter, in the ways that they best knew how?

从父亲到女儿,以他们最了解的方式?

And maybe Grandma wasn't so crazy after all.

也许奶奶毕竟没有那么疯狂。

So I quickly learned that lunar cycles were actually tied to insect flight activity and reproduction that made better pollinators, so more fruits.

所以我很快就了解到,月球周期实际上与昆虫飞行活动和繁殖有关,从而产生更好的传粉者,从而产生更多的水果。

It was tied to irrigation and water patterns. And I thought, wow, that is so cool. So my grandmother had a point. I digress.

这与灌溉和用水模式有关。我想,哇,这太酷了。所以我祖母说的有道理。我跑题了。

It turns out planting rocks under root crops, it meant that you were just actually making better drainage,

事实证明,在根茎作物下种植岩石,这意味着你实际上只是做了更好的排水,

but also it was creating this inviting ecosystem for worms and little creatures to live under.

而且它还为蠕虫和小生物创造了一个诱人的生态系统。

And they were just natural fertilizers.

它们只是天然肥料。

So, awesome, Granddad was right.

所以,太棒了,爷爷是对的。

And whistling for wind, well ...

吹口哨吹风,嗯……

I wish I could give you a scientific explanation.

我希望我能给你一个科学的解释。

I have no idea how that works, but every time I ask my dad, "Can you bring me out to a field and whistle?" a light breeze would always seem to blow.

我不知道这是怎么回事,但每次我问我父亲:“你能带我到田野里吹口哨吗?“微风似乎总是吹过。

And it was magic.

这是魔法。

I was like, what is this sorcery?

我想,这是什么魔法?

So what if all of these invisible pieces of knowledge are actually keys to how we can best curate our stewardship to our landscapes,

那么,如果所有这些看不见的知识实际上是我们如何最好地策划我们对景观的管理的关键,

how we could best create resilience in our ecosystems and forests to react better to climate change.

我们如何最好地在生态系统和森林中创造复原力,以更好地应对气候变化。

And all of this knowledge exists in countries and communities, and traditions and stories within our families.

所有这些知识都存在于国家和社区中,也存在于我们家庭中的传统和故事中。

And as a young person who works in the environmental field,

作为一名在环境领域工作的年轻人,

I think it is so cool to have that kind of responsibility to carry this knowledge on to the next generation,

我认为有这样的责任将这些知识传递给下一代是非常酷的,

to transfer this information over into our modern age and be able to articulate why they work.

将这些信息转移到我们的现代,并能够阐明它们的工作原理。

Because maybe the solutions to our climate crisis, maybe the next big fix-all, isn't just this one big, amazing, sparkling solution.

因为也许我们气候危机的解决方案,也许下一个大的解决方案,不仅仅是一个大的、令人惊叹的、闪闪发光的解决方案。

Maybe it exists in the soils under our feet.

也许它存在于我们脚下的土壤中。

Maybe it's in the wind that blows in the air or the sunlight that beats down on us.

也许是在空气中吹过的风或照射在我们身上的阳光中。

Or maybe it exists in the crazy, wild stories of our grandmothers.

或者也许它存在于我们祖母疯狂、狂野的故事中。

And it is such an honor to think that maybe these amazing solutions are actually an opportunity for us to build something that embodies the wisdom of our communities,

我很荣幸想到这些令人惊叹的解决方案实际上是我们建立体现社区智慧的东西的机会,

of our families and of our landscapes over years and generations.

多年来我们的家庭和我们的风景。

And as a young person carrying that on, I think, wow, we have some exciting magic in our planet to offer,

作为一个继承这一点的年轻人,我想,哇,我们的星球上有一些令人兴奋的魔法可以提供,

and hopefully we can harness that power and all this sorcery and secret bits of knowledge to do something really great with it in different parts of the world that curate our stewardship to our planet.

希望我们能够利用这种力量以及所有这些巫术和秘密知识,在世界不同地区用它做一些真正伟大的事情,管理我们对地球的管理。

With that, thank you.

就此,谢谢。

最新评论

快速回复 返回顶部 返回列表