开启辅助访问      

英语家园

 找回密码
 注册

QQ登录

只需一步,快速开始

搜索

尼日利亚学生毕业后成为大学校长

发布者: 千缘 | 发布时间: 2020-9-18 01:25| 查看数: 128| 评论数: 0|



I came from a country where I was part of the majority, where all of us…majority of us were black,

在我的祖国,我这样肤色的人是主流,我们的国民大多数都是黑人。

and I came to a place where I became a minority literally overnight.

我来到了一个地方,在这里,我突然就成为了少数群体。

I went to school at a small private Baptist university, Weyland Baptist University, in Plainview, Texas,

我在一所小型私立浸会大学上学,这家威兰浸信会大学位于德克萨斯州普莱恩维尤。

received my undergraduate degree in business.

我获得了商学本科学位。

Really got a chance to get into the community to connect with people,

真正有机会进入社区与人交流,

that was one of the things that dad really encouraged us to do.

是我父亲一直鼓励我们做的事情之一。

My parents Samuel and Confedy Akande had studied in the United States in the late 50s, and were enameled with American education.

50年代末,我的父母塞缪尔和康菲迪·阿坎德曾在美国学习,他们一直着迷于美国的教育。

And interesting enough, their first couple of years in the States was in Texas.

有趣的是,他们在美国的头几年就是生活在德州。

And if you, if you look at the time in the late 50s, these were, these were very difficult times for African-American.

回顾50年代末,那时的非裔美国人们步履维艰。

The civil rights era was in play.

当时的民权运动如火如荼。

They had to deal with such things as sitting in the back of the, of the bus and eating the kitchen,

他们当时被迫面临这样的事情,比如坐在公交车后部,在厨房吃饭,

but in spite of all that, I think my dad felt that American was in transition.

但是尽管如此,我想我的父亲还是觉得美国民众正在转型。

That makes sure that we understood that America is what you make it,

这让我们明白了美国是要由民众塑造的,

and that you have to be proactively engaged, you have to reach out to people.

你必须主动参与其中,你必须接触其他人。

You have to get to know people, you’ve got to meet people halfway,

你必须了解别人,你必须对他人妥协。

and then as time went on I even picked up some other Texas slangs and

随着时间推移,我甚至学会了一些德州的俚语,

and just,just try to gradually assimilate myself into the, into the community,

我努力让自己逐渐融入社区。

without,without it, changing or affecting my values or trying to forget where I came from.

但这并未改变或影响我的价值观,或试图忘记我来自哪里。

It was a, it was a big tough salad of sorts that enabled me to be myself at the same time to be in the midst of something very different.

这里有各种各样的人,我在能够做自己的同时,也能体验一些与众不同的事情。

I remember in Texas then I noticed that people would wear these really tight jeans, wrangler jeans,

我记得在德克萨斯州,我注意到人们会穿紧身牛仔裤,牧马人牛仔裤,

and I would…I asked them: Well, that must feel really uncomfortable, guys,

我会上前询问他们:兄弟,这裤子很不舒服吧,

and they said, now, you know, Benjamin, you get used to it. You know, we’ve been wearing this all our lives.

他们会回答我,本杰明,你现在得习惯它。我们一辈子都穿这种裤子。

And I even got a chance to begin to like country and western music,

一个偶然的机会,我甚至开始喜欢乡村和西部音乐,

and I had an appreciation for the storytelling aspect of it,

我很喜欢这种音乐的故事叙述性,

how they told stories of loss, of gains, of surprises, of successes.

讲述着失去、收获、惊喜和成功的故事。

And I found that very very interesting because as an African, I grew up in a storytelling environment,

我发现这非常非常有趣,因为作为一个非洲人,我成长在一个讲故事的环境中,

where my dad told remarkable stories to my sisters and I,

父亲给我和妹妹们讲了很多精彩的故事,

and most of the stories were about America.

其中大多数的故事是关于美国的。

And so we felt we had been there before, that we had seen it before.

所以我们会觉得曾经去过美国,曾经见过美国。

And so we were able to put it in our minds, eyes, and to visualize what it was all about.

我们能够铭记于心、看在眼里,还能想象美国究竟是什么样的。

What makes this country truly great is the fact that it has embraced, enabled and recruited folks from all over the world.

美国的真正伟大之处在于它接纳、支持并吸收了来自世界各地的人。

You know…and when you…when they talk about bringing your ideals and bringing your values and bringing your best and brightest,

当他们谈论着带着你们的理想、价值、你最好的一面和最聪明的头脑时,

this is a country that has been a fertile ground for that.

美国一直是这样的一片沃土。

And the results are the transformational creativity and innovation that we’ve seen over many many years.

其结果就是我们这么多年一直目睹到的转型创造力和创新。

If you look at that aspect and then you look at folks like myself,

如果你看看美国的这方面,再看看向我这样的人,

and presidents of so many institutions in the United States,

还有很多美国机构的一把手,

that they came to this country as students.

他们来到美国时还只是学生。

We just we didn’t take from America.

我们未曾从美国拿走什么。

America made us stronger, better, more contributory,

是美国让我们更加强大、更好、更有贡献,

and then we’re paying it forward and paying it forward is serving in the capacity,

然后我们接着传承下去,这是我们的力所能及。

that I'm serving right now as President of Champlain College in Burlington, Vermont.

我现在是佛蒙特州伯灵顿市尚普兰学院的校长。


最新评论

快速回复 返回顶部 返回列表