Lesson 87
(点击右边三个点,可调整速度,电脑上可下载)
A perfect alibi
(点击右边三个点,可调整速度,电脑上可下载)
First listen and then answer the question.
(点击右边三个点,可调整速度,电脑上可下载)
What was wrong with the man's story?
(点击右边三个点,可调整速度,电脑上可下载)
'At the time the murder was committed, I was travelling on the 8 o'clock train to London,' said the man.
(点击右边三个点,可调整速度,电脑上可下载)
'Do you always catch such an early train?' asked the inspector.
(点击右边三个点,可调整速度,电脑上可下载)
'Of course I do,' answered the man. 'I must be at work at 10 o'clock. My employer will confirm that I was there on time.'
(点击右边三个点,可调整速度,电脑上可下载)
'Would a later train get you to work on time?' asked the inspector.
(点击右边三个点,可调整速度,电脑上可下载)
'I suppose it would, but I never catch a later train.'
(点击右边三个点,可调整速度,电脑上可下载)
'At what time did you arrive at the station?'
(点击右边三个点,可调整速度,电脑上可下载)
'At ten to eight. I bought a paper and waited for the train.'
(点击右边三个点,可调整速度,电脑上可下载)
'And you didn't notice anything unusual?'
(点击右边三个点,可调整速度,电脑上可下载)
'Of course not.'
(点击右边三个点,可调整速度,电脑上可下载)
'I suggest,' said the inspector, 'that you are not telling the truth.
(点击右边三个点,可调整速度,电脑上可下载)
I suggest that you did not catch the 8 o'clock train, but that you caught the 8.25 which would still get you to work on time.
(点击右边三个点,可调整速度,电脑上可下载)
You see, on the morning of the murder, the 8 o'clock train did not run at all.
(点击右边三个点,可调整速度,电脑上可下载)
It broke down at Ferngreen station and was taken off the line.'
(点击右边三个点,可调整速度,电脑上可下载)
alibi [ˈælibai] n. 不在犯罪现场
(点击右边三个点,可调整速度,电脑上可下载)
commit [kəˈmit] v. 犯(罪、错)
(点击右边三个点,可调整速度,电脑上可下载)
inspector [inˈspektə] n. 探长
(点击右边三个点,可调整速度,电脑上可下载)
employer [imˈplɔiə] n. 雇主
(点击右边三个点,可调整速度,电脑上可下载)
confirm [kənˈfə:m] v. 确认,证实
(点击右边三个点,可调整速度,电脑上可下载)
suggest [səˈdʒest] v. 提醒
(点击右边三个点,可调整速度,电脑上可下载)
truth [tru:θ] n. 真相
(点击右边三个点,可调整速度,电脑上可下载)
|
|