英语家园

 找回密码
 注册

QQ登录

只需一步,快速开始

扫描二维码登录本站

搜索
英语家园 门户 双语新闻 查看主题

[VOA双语] 拜登预期关塔纳摩犯多数将被驱逐

发布者: shunitang | 发布时间: 2009-1-29 19:37| 查看数: 954| 评论数: 2|帖子模式

http://res.iciba.com/voanews/standard/s20090127f.mp3



By Victor Beattie

Washington

26 January 2009

U.S. Vice President Joe Biden says he expects most of the 245 detainees held at the U.S. military detention center at Guantanamo Bay, Cuba will be deported to their home countries or other nations and that the facility will be closed within a year.

Biden says many of the suspected terrorist detainees will be tried in American civil or military courts and predicts that, even if a federal judge orders their release based on insufficient evidence, most will be deported.

"If they are not a U.S. citizen or if they're not here legally, then, even if they were released by a federal judge, they would not be able to stay here in the United States," he said. "They would be sent back to their country of origin."

Biden told CBS television's "Face the Nation" program that he does not expect the detainees to remain on American soil even if their home countries refuse to accept them.

"What I anticipate happening is that those people where, in a situation where the evidence is in question or it's going to be hard to make a case, we will most likely be rendering them back to their country of origin or another country," he said. "For example, there are already countries who have agreed to allow prison facilities in their countries for enemy combatants that, in fact, are captured on the battlefield."

The vice president says President Barack Obama's administration is evaluating each of the suspects on a case-by-case basis and acknowledges it is a difficult process. Biden says the way the detention facility was opened and operated raises additional issues as to how these cases will be handled in civil and military courts.

"The one thing we know, the maintenance of Guantanamo, its symbol and the consequences of the symbolism [of Guantanamo] around the world - it has grown terrorist organizations, not diminished terrorist organizations," he added. "There is no question it has to be closed and we don't think it's inconsistent to deal with our national security and our Constitution. We don't think they're inconsistent."

In one of his first acts as president, Barack Obama last week ordered the closure of the U.S. naval detention center at Guantanamo Bay within one year. The facility was established by former President Bush to house foreign terror suspects in the wake of the September 11, 2001 terrorist attacks on New York and Washington.

President Obama and Defense Secretary Robert Gates have directed that a motion be filed to suspend the Guantanamo Bay trials for 120 days. The cases that have been suspended include proceedings against five men accused of plotting the September 11 attacks. Among them is Khalid Sheikh Mohammed - the alleged architect of the attacks.

On CNN television's "State of the Union" program, former U.S. Navy defense attorney Charles Swift said he does not expect suspects like Mohammed will go free.

"KSM - Khalid Sheikh Mohammed - he's not going to be let go. He's going to be found guilty either in a federal trial or a military court martial," he said. "These, quote, 'hard cases' that lie somewhere between being able to establish it [guilt] in a court of law and very strong intelligence information that they should be detained. How they're going to be handled, whether in a habeas [unlawful detention] system or a national security court, is what's still being studied. And that's why the Obama administration asked for a 120-day time out."

Swift commends the new Obama administration for ending military commissions for the terror suspects, saying the outcomes of those trials would not have credence internationally. He also says that closing Guantanamo creates the domestic political will necessary to find a permanent solution on relocating the detainees outside of the United States.

But, according to some analysts and former Bush administration officials, the order to close the Guantanamo Bay facility carries risks. They note that earlier this month, the Defense Department estimated that as many as 61 freed detainees have returned to waging terror.

最新评论

shunitang 发表于 2009-1-29 19:42:08
拜登预期关塔纳摩犯多数将被驱逐

美国副总统拜登表示,他预期被拘押在古巴关塔纳摩湾美军拘留中心的245人中的大部分,将被驱逐回他们各自的国家或其他国家。拜登预期这一拘留中心将在一年内被关闭。

拜登说,许多被拘押的恐怖嫌疑人将在美国的民事或军事法庭受审,而且他预测,即使一名联邦法官因证据不足而下令将他们释放,其中大部分也会被驱逐出境。

他说:“如果他们不是美国公民或如果他们不是合法移民,那么即使他们获得联邦法官释放,他们也将不能留在美国。他们将被遣送回他们各自原属的国家。”

拜登在哥伦比亚电视“面对全国”节目上说,即使他们的本国拒绝接受他们,他也不预期这些被拘押者会继续留在美国。

他说:“我预期,如果证据不足以成立案子,我们最可能的考虑是将这些人送回他们自己的国家或其他国家。举例来说,已经有些国家同意让他们的监狱设施接受在战场上捕获的敌方战斗人员。”

拜登副总统说,奥巴马总统的政府将仔细评估每一名嫌疑人的案子,他承认这是一个困难的过程。拜登说,由于这处拘留中心的开设和营运,又增加了额外的问题,那就是,这些案件将如何由民事和军事法庭审理。

拜登说:“有一件事我们知道,维持这个关塔纳摩拘留设施成为全世界的一个话柄,它助长了恐怖主义组织,而不是消减了恐怖主义组织。毫无疑问应该将它关闭,而且我们不认为这不符合我们的国家安全和我们的宪法。我们不认为这样做不合适。”

作为上任总统后的第一项行动之一,奥巴马总统上个星期下令在一年内关闭在关塔纳摩湾美国海军基地的拘留中心。这处设施是前总统布什于2001年9月11日纽约和华盛顿遭到恐怖攻击后设立的,用来关押外国的恐怖分子。

奥巴马总统和国防部长盖茨已经指示,暂停关塔纳摩湾的审讯120天。暂停审讯的案子包括5名被控阴谋从事9/11攻击的男子,其中一个叫默罕麦德的男子据称是9/11攻击的策划人。

在CNN电视“国情咨文节目”里,前美国海军军法处长史维夫特说,他不预期像默罕麦德这样的嫌疑人会被释放。他说:“莫哈麦德不会被释放。他不是在联邦法院就是在军事法庭会被定罪。这些‘坚实的案子’是处在法院能够立案而且情报确凿应该被拘留的情况下。应该如何处理他们,是否把他们关押在一个不合法的拘留系统还是在国家安全法庭来处理,仍然需要研究。而这也就是奥巴马政府为什么要求120天的原因。”

史维夫特掌理新的奥巴马政府结束处理恐怖嫌疑人的军事委员会。他表示,这些审讯结果在国际上没有公信力。他并且表示,关闭关塔纳摩湾拘留中心将产生必要的国内政治意愿,去寻找一个永久性解决办法,重新安置这些被拘押在美国境外的嫌疑人。

但是根据一些分析家和前布什政府官员的说法,下令关闭关塔纳摩湾拘留中心也有危险。他们在本月早些时候指出,国防部估计,有多达61名获释的被拘押者又重新从事恐怖活动。
shunitang 发表于 2009-1-29 19:45:53
well,Obama takes some actions for his governing..

close the detainee cencter and deport the detainees to their own countries..
快速回复 返回顶部 返回列表