Dialogue1:
A:I have to take a break for a second.
我得休息一会儿。
B:Why? Is something wrong?
为什么?有什么事吗?
A:I don’t know. When I was running, I twisted my ankle.
我不清楚,跑步时,扭了脚踝。
B:Let me have a look.
让我看看。
A:I have to sit down first.
我得先坐下来。
B:It does look swollen, but I don’t think it’s broken.
脚看着的确很肿,但我想没骨折。
A:I’m sure it’s not broken, because I can still walk on it.
我肯定没骨折,因为我还能走路。
B:some fractures are small. You can’t be sure it’s not broken. /ˈfræktʃɚ/
有的骨折是很细微的,你没法肯定骨头到底有没有断。
A:I’ll wait and see to be sure.
我会等会看看状况,再确定。
B:For now we’d better stop playing ball.
现在我们最好还是别打球了。
A:I’ll put some ice on it.
我会在上面敷一些冰。
B:Tomorrow you should go see a doctor.
明天你应该去看看医生。
A:I’ll go see a doctor if it still hurts.
如果脚还疼,我就去看医生。
B:Okay. Just don’t neglect any injury./nɪˈɡlɛkt//ˈɪndʒəri/
好,对任何受伤都不要不当回事。
Dialogue 2:
A: That was a good game we played.
我们这场球打得挺不错的。
B: You’re not mad about that foul in the last quarter?/faʊl/
最后十五分钟的那个犯规,你不生气吗?
A: Do you mean when that guy hit me with his elbow?/ˈɛlˌbo/
你是指那个家伙用肘部撞我?
B: Yeah. I can’t believe the referee didn’t even see that./ˌrɛfəˈri/
是啊,我简直不敢相信裁判一点没看见。
A: I don’t know if he saw it, but I’m not going to get mad about it.
我不知道他看没看见,不过我不会为这事感到生气的。
B: That’s a pretty good attitude to have.
你对待比赛的态度是挺可取的。
A: It’s all just a game. Why not have fun?
不就是个比赛嘛,干嘛不玩开心点呢?
B: It’d be nice if more guys thought that way.
如果多些人都像你这样想,那就好了。
A: I know, but a lot of guys take it way too seriously.
是啊,可是好多人把比赛看得太重了。
B: I know. The tall guy on the other team was way too intense.
是啊,他们队里的那个高个子太猛了。
A: Maybe he’s got emotional problems. Anyway, I’m not going to worry about those guys.
可能他有一些情绪上的问题。不管怎么样,我才不会为这些人感到心烦的。
Dialogue 3:
A: Hey, Stacy. Come here for a second.
嗨,史蒂茜,来这里一会儿。
B: Why? We’re in the middle of a game.
为什么?我们还在打球呢。
A: I want to have a look at you.
我想看看你。
B: What are you talking about?
你在说什么呀?
A: Your skin is pale, but you’re hot all over.
你脸色苍白,但是你全身发烫。
B: That’s because I’m playing hard.
那是因为我玩起劲。
A: No, it’s because you’re dehydrated. You need some water now.
不是,那是因为你脱水了,你现在需要喝些水。
B: Maybe I do need to take a break for a few minutes.
也许我需要休息几分钟。
A: I think you’re done playing for today.
我认为你今天就玩到这儿吧。
B: What should I do?
我应该做什么呢?
A: Walk around and drink water for a few minutes. Then have a seat in the shade.
花几分钟四处走走,喝点水,然后在荫凉的地方坐下来。
B: Actually I am starting to feel pretty bad.
事实上我开始感觉很难受了。
A: Have you had any water to drink today?
你今天喝过水了吗?
B: Not much. I guess I wasn’t thinking about it.
不多,我想是我没注意到要喝水。
Dialogue 4:
A: Wow, Steve just scored another goal.
哇,史蒂夫刚刚又进了一球。
B: He’s really good. He’s going to win this game for us.
他真是太棒了,他将会为我们记赢得这场比赛。
A: I can’t believe that he doesn’t even come to practice some time.
我简直不敢相信,他不怎么来练习都能做到这样。
B: I know. We work so hard and he still is far better than us.
是啊,我们这么努力练,他还是比我们要好得多。
A: I guess he’s just got natural ability.
我觉得他是太有天赋了。
B: It looks like it. I wonder why some guys are born lucky.
原来是这样。我想知道为什么有人天生就这么好运气。
A: I don’t know. It’s just something they get from their parents.
我不知道。是他们从父母那儿继承过来的天赋吧。
B: It just makes me jealous that he doesn’t’ work half as hard as we do.
他还没我们一半努力,就打得这样好,真让我妒忌。
A: Think of it this way. How good would he be if he did work as hard?
你这么想:要是他像我们这样努力训练,他会变成怎样的人呢?
B: I don’t understand what you mean.
我不明白你的意思。
A: He’d be much better. Maybe even a professional. He’s really wasting his talent.
他会比现在好得多。也许甚至会成为一位职业选手。他实在是在浪费他的天赋。
B: I wonder why he does that.
我不明白他为什么那样做。
A: I think he never had to work hard at sports, so he never learned the habit of working hard.
我想他在体育方面一直都没有努力练习过,所以他从来都没养成努力工作的习惯
B: That makes sense. I’ve always had to work hard at sports.
有道理。我在体育方面总是不得不努力练习。
A: So you learned good habits.
因此你养成了好习惯。
B: Yeah, and that’s more important in life than scoring goals.
没错,而且那在生活中的作用比在球场上得分更加重要。
Dialogue 5:
A:Hey, Larry. Can I talk to you for a second?
嗨,拉里,我能跟你谈一会吗?
B: What do you want?
你想干嘛?
A: I want to talk to you about today’s game.
我想跟你谈谈今天的比赛。
B: we won. What’s there to talk about?
我们赢了,有什么好谈的吗?
A: The way you play is too rough.
你打球的方式太粗野了。
B: I’m aggressive. What’s your point? /əˈɡrɛsɪv/
我是进攻型的,你认为如何?
A: You’re not just aggressive. You play ball like it’s a war.
你岂止是进攻型的,你打球简直就像在打仗。
B: I’m sorry to hear you’re so soft.
我很遗憾得知你这么柔弱。
A: Don’t make this personal, Larry. You know I’m not soft. A lot of guys agree with me. It’s not fun playing with you.
不要搞人身攻击,拉里。你知道我不柔弱。许多人都同意我的意见,跟你打球不好玩。
B: Then how come they don’t say that? How come the referee doesn’t call a foul on me?
那么他们为什么不说出来?为什么裁判不判我犯规?
A: You know how to get away with fouls, without getting caught.
你知道如何犯规又逃避惩罚却能不让别人抓住。
B: Do the other guys really think I play too rough?
别人真的说我打球太粗野了?
A: Yeah, they do. If you don’t stop it, then you’ll have to find somewhere else to play ball.
没错!他们也这样说。如果你继续这样下去,那么你就找别的地方去玩吧。
B: Okay. I get the point. Is that all you want to say?
好吧,我知道了。你想要说的就这些吗?
A: Yeah. I’ll see you at the next game.
是的。下次比赛我们再见。 |
|