英语家园

 找回密码
 注册

QQ登录

只需一步,快速开始

扫一扫,访问移动社区

搜索

【VOA慢速】关于“严寒”的故事

发布者: 风中麦田 | 发布时间: 2025-1-21 23:16| 查看数: 46| 评论数: 0|




(点击右边的三个点,可以下载音频和调整播放速度)

Now, from VOA Learning English, it's time for Words and Their Stories.

现在是VOA慢速英语《词汇掌故》栏目时间。

If this is your first time with us, this program explores words and expressions commonly used in American English.

如果你是第一次收听我们的节目,本期节目将探索美式英语中常用的词汇和表达。

We take a look at where they come from and how best to use them.

我们来看看它们的来源以及如何最好地使用它们。

So, as winter officially comes to half the world, today we celebrate an expression that means winter is coming.

所以,当冬天正式降临到这个半球时,今天我们庆祝一个表示冬天即将到来的表达。

When temperatures drop and a cold snap comes, that means one thing: Jack Frost has arrived!

当气温下降,寒流来临时,这意味着一件事:严寒来了!

Jack Frost represents the coming of dark, cold days.

“杰克·弗罗斯特 ”代表了黑暗、寒冷日子的到来。

He is the personification of winter, a human form of winter weather.

他是冬天的化身,冬天天气的拟人说法。

So, when we say, "Jack Frost is nipping at your nose," we mean that you feel the cold, icy effects of winter on your face.

所以,当我们说“杰克·弗罗斯特在咬你的鼻子”时,我们的意思是你的脸上会感觉到冬天的寒冷。

When a frost or deep freeze comes, you had better bundle up!

当霜冻或严寒来临时,你最好穿好衣服!

You should wear enough clothing to stay warm.

你应该穿足够的衣服来保暖。

Now, Jack Frost does, indeed, bring the cold of winter.

现在,杰克·弗罗斯特确实带来了冬天的寒冷。

But he can also create beauty in nature.

但他也可以创造大自然的美。

Some traditions claim that Jack Frost is responsible for leaving ice and snow on windows, trees, the ground… anywhere it will stick.

一些传统说法认为,杰克·弗罗斯特在窗户上、树上、地面上留下冰雪……任何能粘住冰雪的地方。

While we know frost is a natural event, it is fun to think that an imaginary creature named Jack Frost (or another name in some other cultures) changed the world into a winter wonderland!

虽然我们知道霜冻是一种自然现象,但想到一个名叫杰克·弗罗斯特(或其他一些文化中的另一个名字)的虚构生物将世界变成了一个冬季仙境,这很有趣!

That is what poet Hannah Flagg Gould (1789-1865) must have been thinking when she wrote a poem called The Frost.

这就是诗人汉娜·弗拉格·古尔德(1789-1865)在写一首名为《霜冻》的诗时所想的。

Here are parts of that poem.

以下是那首诗的部分内容。

THE FROST looked forth, one still, clear night,

在一个宁静而晴朗的夜晚,弗罗斯特向前望去,

And he said, "Now I shall be out of sight; ...

他说:“现在我要消失不见了;…

Then he went to the mountain, and powdered its crest,

然后他走到山上,在山顶上撒了粉,

He climbed up the trees, and their boughs he dressed

他爬上树,修饰树枝

With diamonds and pearls…

有钻石,有珍珠……

With all of its beauty and extremes, winter is a great subject for songs and poetry.

冬天充满美丽和极端,是歌曲和诗歌的重要主题。

But now, let's listen to how we use these wintry expressions in conversation:

但现在,让我们来听听我们如何在对话中使用这些寒冷的表达:

Brrr! It is freezing outside.

呵!外面好冷啊。

This cold snap came out of nowhere!

这寒流不知从哪里来的!

I don't care how cold it is.

我不在乎天气有多冷。

I'm going on a hot date!

我要去约会了!

Is that all you're wearing?

你就穿这个吗?

You need to bundle up or Jack Frost will be nipping at more than your nose!

你需要穿好衣服,否则杰克·弗罗斯特会咬你的鼻子!

I'll be fine.

我没事。

I'm wearing my new coat.

我穿着我的新外套。

That it is NOT a winter coat.

这不是冬季外套。

I mean, it looks great, but it's much too thin.

我的意思是,它看起来很棒,但太薄了。

You will catch a cold.

你会感冒的。

I know.

我知道。

You can wear my new down coat.

你可以穿我的新羽绒服。

It keeps you warm up to minus 30 degrees Celsius!

它可以让您保持温暖,抵御零下30摄氏度!

I'm going on a date... not exploring the Arctic Circle! Thanks.

我要去约会……不是去探索北极圈!谢谢。

But I am not wearing that big, thick black coat.

但我没有穿那件又大又厚的黑色外套。

Besides, the taxi will take me from door-to-door.

此外,出租车会送我过去。

But what if something goes wrong?

但如果出了问题怎么办?

What if the car skids on the ice and is involved in an accident?

如果汽车在冰上打滑发生事故怎么办?

You'll have to walk to the restaurant.

你必须步行到餐厅。

You might freeze to death!

你可能会冻死的!

No, I won't.

不,我不会的。

I'll just call an Uber to come and get me.

我就叫Uber来接我。

And what if that vehicle runs out of fuel?

如果车没油了怎么办?

Then you'll have to walk to get more.

那你就得走着去拿了。

No, the Uber driver will.

不,Uber司机会。

I'll just call another car.

我去叫另一辆车。

What if that new Uber driver is a pregnant woman and she goes into labor?

如果新的Uber司机是一名孕妇并且她即将分娩怎么办?

You'll have to help.

你必须帮忙。

You'll have to wait outside in the cold until help arrives!

你必须在寒冷的外面等待,直到救援到来!

And the roads are already covered with five centimeters of snow!

道路上已经覆盖了五厘米厚的雪!

It could take the ambulance an hour to get to you!

救护车可能要花一个小时才能来接你!

If you're wearing that thin coat…you'll catch your death!

如果你穿着那件薄外套,你会冻死的!

The EMTs will find you frozen solid like a block of ice!

急救人员会发现你冻得像块冰!

Stop! Stop! You win! Give me your coat!

停下来!停下来!你赢了!把你的外套给我!

Good decision.

就该这样!

Here's my ride …

这是我的车……

Don't forget gloves…a hat… and a scarf!

别忘了戴手套帽子,还有围巾!

Okay, good bye. Have fun!

好的,再见。玩得开心!

And that's the end of this Words and Their Stories.

以上就是本期《词汇掌故》的全部内容!

Until next time!

下期节目见!

I'm Anna Matteo.

我是安娜·马特奥。

最新评论

关闭

站长推荐上一条 /1 下一条

快速回复 返回顶部 返回列表