英语家园

 找回密码
 注册

QQ登录

只需一步,快速开始

扫一扫,访问移动社区

搜索

美的去殖民化

发布者: qianyuan | 发布时间: 2024-11-29 23:52| 查看数: 37| 评论数: 0|

Today, I would like to talk to you about beauty and how we've got it all wrong when it comes to our perceptions of women, particularly Aboriginal women.

今天,我想和大家谈谈美,以及我们在看待女性,尤其是原住民女性时,对美的认知是如何全然错误的。

But before I do, I would like to acknowledge the traditional custodians of the land in which I stand upon: the Gadigal people of the Eora Nation.

但在开始之前,我想向这片土地的传统守护者——伊奥拉族加迪加尔人表示敬意。

I pay my respects to the elders past, present and emerging and give thanks to our ancestors who guide and protect us.

我向过去、现在以及未来的长辈们致以敬意,并感谢我们的祖先对我们的指引和保护。

It was 1990, and I was pumped.

那是1990年,我兴奋不已。

I was off to my first birthday party, just before I hit the terrible teens.

我马上就要迎来我的第一个生日派对,而我还未踏入那令人头疼的青春期。

No chaperone, and no bratty sister to tag along so she could snitch.

没有监护人陪同,也没有烦人的妹妹跟着,好让她有机会告状。

I had my cute little outfit on, gift in hand, and I was hoping that this little cutie that I liked would show up.

我穿着可爱的小礼服,手里拿着礼物,心里盼着我喜欢的那个小可爱会出现。

And I was hoping that this little cutie would ask me this one question.

我还希望这个小可爱能问我一个问题。

You know that question that makes your heart beat right out your chest -- Do you want to be my girlfriend?

你们都知道那个问题——它会让你的心跳出胸膛——“你愿意做我的女朋友吗?”

-- even though I had no business having a boyfriend at that age.

——尽管我那时根本不该有男朋友。

But it didn't matter, because back then, it was all about the rush.

但那不重要,因为那时,一切都只是为了那种刺激感。

I never did get asked that question.

而我从未被问过那个问题。

But the question I did get asked was: What's your background?

但我确实被问了另一个问题:“你是什么背景?”

And like any proud Aboriginal child would declare, "I'm Aboriginal." Given the reaction of the room, being Aboriginal was clearly a dirty word.

就像任何一个自豪的原住民孩子会宣称的那样,我说:“我是原住民。”从房间里的反应来看,“原住民”显然是个脏话。

And at the tender age of 11, I was told by my best friend's adult sister that I was too pretty to be Aboriginal.

在我11岁那年,我最好的朋友的姐姐告诉我,我长得这么漂亮,不可能是原住民。

By this time, my mouth is dry, my blood is boiling, and I'm trying so hard to fight back what feels like an ocean of tears.

这时,我口干舌燥,热血沸腾,我努力忍住仿佛要涌出的泪水。

I calmly join my circle of friends and begin to fake laugh at whatever is funny to mask my embarrassment, as I clutch on to my newfound complex.

我平静地加入朋友们的圈子,开始假装大笑,以掩饰我的尴尬,同时紧紧抓住我新发现的情结。

And this is why we need to change our perceptions of beauty.

这就是为什么我们需要改变对美的看法。

And how we do this is by learning from Aboriginal women, their stories and perspectives.

我们如何做到这一点是通过学习原住民妇女、她们的故事和观点。

Because right now, "pretty" hurts.

因为现在,“漂亮”很伤人。

Pretty hurts because you're trying to erase my Aboriginality, to applaud my proximity to whiteness.

非常受伤,因为你试图抹去我的土著性,赞扬我接近白人。

Pretty hurts because aimed at an Aboriginal woman, it is a weapon loaded in racism, sexual exploitation and cultural genocide.

这很伤人,因为它针对的是原住民妇女,是一种充满种族主义、性剥削和文化种族灭绝的武器。

You see, what this woman didn't realize when she declared that I was too pretty to be Aboriginal is that she took something precious from me:

你看,当这个女人宣称我太漂亮了,不适合成为原住民时,她没有意识到她从我这里夺走了一些珍贵的东西:

pride in my identity.

为我的身份感到自豪。

You see, I belong to the oldest living culture in the world, but that day, that legacy -- it was replaced with shame,

你看,我属于世界上现存最古老的文化,但那天,那份遗产--它被羞耻所取代,

and it's been this filthy stain I've been trying to get rid of for 20 years.

这就是我20年来一直试图除掉的肮脏污点。

And this is where my obsession for beauty comes from, over the years, trying to mimic it as a model, advocating for diversity in fashion,

这就是我对美的痴迷的根源,多年来,我试图模仿它作为模特,倡导时尚的多样性,

to launching "Ascension" magazine to celebrate women of color, whose beauty is still underrepresented.

推出《Ascension》杂志来庆祝有色人种女性,她们的美丽仍然被低估。

With much pain and trauma behind one word, "pretty" taught me, through my indigeneity, I could reclaim my beauty.

“漂亮”一个词背后充满了痛苦和创伤,教会我,通过我的独立,我可以重新找回我的美丽。

To Indigenous women, true beauty came from the traditional roles we upheld, our kinship systems,

对于原住民女性来说,真正的美丽来自我们所坚持的传统角色、我们的亲属制度,

connection to country and the waterways and how we pass this ancient knowledge down to the next generation.

与国家和水道的联系以及我们如何将这些古老的知识传递给下一代。

The way we express beauty was never defined against a Eurocentric ideal of beauty.

我们表达美的方式从未与欧洲中心主义的美理想相对立。

You see, in my culture, our beauty is not monolithic.

你看,在我的文化中,我们的美不是单一的。

It's not measured by a thin waistline, porcelain skin or slender hips.

它不是由纤细的腰身、白皙的皮肤或苗条的臀部来衡量的。

It runs much deeper than that.

它比这要深刻得多。

So what does indigenous beauty look like?

那么,原住民的美是什么样的呢?

Oh, it's fierce, defiant and proud.

哦,它是凶猛的、叛逆的、骄傲的。

And one ancestor who epitomizes indigenous beauty is Barangaroo, a powerful Cammeraygal woman.

而一位完美体现原住民之美的祖先是巴拉加鲁,一位强大的卡梅拉加尔女性。

Revered for her wisdom and independence, Barangaroo, like the Eora other women, took pride in their status as being the main food providers for their tribe.

她因智慧和独立而受到尊敬,巴拉加鲁和其他伊奥拉女性一样,为身为部落主要食物提供者而自豪。

A skillful and patient fisherwoman, Barangaroo would access Sydney Harbour and its surrounding waters for its abundant food supply, only taking what was needed.

巴拉加鲁是一位技艺高超且耐心的渔女,她会前往悉尼港及其周边水域获取丰富的食物供应,只取所需。

So you can just imagine how furious Barangaroo was when she saw British colonists troll 4,000 salmon off the north shore in just one day,

所以,你可以想象巴拉加鲁看到英国殖民者仅在一天之内就从北岸捕捞了4000条鲑鱼,

then gifting some of this catch to her husband and some of the other men from her tribe.

然后还将部分捕获物赠送给她的丈夫和她部落里的其他男性时,她有多么愤怒。

Barangaroo knew such a wasteful act would threaten the Eora women's cultural authority within the tribe,

巴拉兰鲁深知,如此浪费的行为会威胁到伊奥拉族女性在本部落中的文化权威,

furthermore destroying their traditional way of life.

并进一步摧毁她们的传统生活方式。

So Barangaroo rejected British laws and customs, their food, drink and social etiquette, even when her husband decided to conform.

因此,巴拉兰鲁拒绝了英国的法律和习俗、食物、饮料以及社交礼仪,即便她的丈夫决定遵从这些。

When Barangaroo and her husband Bennelong were invited to dine with Governor Phillip and the British party, Barangaroo stayed true to who she was.

当巴拉兰鲁和她的丈夫本内隆受邀与总督菲利普和英国客人共进晚餐时,巴拉兰鲁坚守了自己的本色。

Instead of wearing colonial attire -- a tight corset and a gown layered in silk finished with pearls -- she came sporting her traditional wares:

她没有穿着殖民风格的服装——紧身的束腰衣和饰以珍珠的丝绸长裙,而是身着传统服饰:

white ochre and a bone through her nose.

白色的赭石色涂料,以及穿过鼻子的骨饰。

What Barangaroo illustrated was: indigenous beauty is authentic.

巴拉兰鲁所展现的是:土著之美是真实的。

Aunty Beryl Van-Oploo, a respected Gamilaraay elder, shared a story with a group of women one day, and she said,

一天,受人尊敬的加米拉拉伊族长者贝丽尔·范·奥普勒阿姨给一群女性讲了一个故事,她说:

"We all have a bit of Barangaroo in us." Later that evening, I thought about Aunty Beryl's message.

“我们每个人身上都有一点巴拉兰鲁的影子。”那天晚上,我思考着贝丽尔阿姨的话。

And what I received from her message was, no matter our culture, color or how we identify, spirit is what we share.

我从她的话中领悟到的是,无论我们的文化、肤色或身份认同如何,精神是我们共有的东西。

It's what connects us.

它是连接我们的纽带。

You see, if we indigenize beauty, the meaning is transformed from aesthetically pleasing to a state of divinity;

你看,如果我们将美本土化,其意义就会从审美愉悦转变为神圣的状态;

beauty now becomes spirit manifested.

美现在成为了精神的外化。

Not only is spirit found within us, it's in all things.

精神不仅存在于我们体内,也存在于万物之中。

It's in the landscapes, it's in the elements.

它存在于风景中,存在于元素里。

The Yolngu people of northeast Arnhem Land, they have a Dreamtime story: Walu, the Sun woman.

阿纳姆地东北部的尤隆加人有一个关于太阳女神瓦卢的梦幻时光故事。

They say Walu lights a small fire each morning, which creates the dawn.

他们说,瓦卢每天早上都会点燃一小堆火,从而创造出黎明。

She then paints her body in red ochre.

然后,她会用红色的赭石色涂料涂抹自己的身体。

And as she does, some of it falls onto the clouds, creating the sunrise.

当她这样做的时候,其中一些落在云层上,创造了日出。

She then makes a torch from a stringy bark tree and carries this fire across the sky from east to west, creating the daylight.

接着,她会用一串树皮制作火把,并把这个火种从东向西划过天空,创造出白昼。

And when it's time for her journey to end, she descends from the sky.

当她的旅程结束时,她会从天空降落。

And as she does, some of the red ochre from her body falls onto the clouds, creating the sunset.

当她这样做时,她身上的一些红色赭石落在云层上,创造了日落。

Indigenous beauty can be seen right across this continent, each Aboriginal nation with its own creation stories of how we came to be -- astronomy,

在这片大陆上随处可见土著之美,每个土著民族都有关于我们如何诞生的创世故事——天文学、

medicine, agriculture, architecture, education, innovation.

医学、农业、建筑、教育、创新。

And when we had conflict, we had lore, l-o-r-e, to restore order.

当我们发生冲突时,我们有传说(lore,l-o-r-e)来恢复秩序。

Like the seasons, flora and fauna, night and day, we are all interconnected.

就像季节、动植物、黑夜与白昼一样,我们都是相互关联的。

One does not work without the other -- the very principles which binds humanity together.

一方无法独立存在——这是将人类联系在一起的基本原则。

Over the years, my obsession for beauty, it's led me to this truth: you cannot appreciate beauty if you cannot recognize it in yourself.

多年来,我对美的痴迷让我得出了这样一个事实:如果你不能在自己身上认识到美,你就无法欣赏美。

So how do we change our perceptions of beauty?

那么,我们如何改变对美的认知呢?

We have to get real with ourselves and start by asking: Who am I?

我们必须正视自己,并从以下问题开始自问:我是谁?

Where do I come from?

我来自哪里?

The world that I live in -- how did it come to be?

我生活的世界——它是如何形成的?

And more importantly: Where to from here?

更重要的是:未来将何去何从?

You may not like what you discover.

你可能不喜欢你发现的东西。

But sit with it, feel the discomfort.

但请面对它,感受那份不适。

Colonization has stolen from us one of the greatest treasures we can obtain: each other.

殖民化从我们手中夺走了我们所能获得的最宝贵的财富之一:彼此之间的联系。

This year alone, we've witnessed pathological political and social unrest.

仅今年,我们就目睹了病态的政治和社会动荡。

That is why healing is the antidote humanity needs because it leads us to unity.

这就是为什么治愈是人类需要的解药,因为它引导我们走向团结。

When we decolonize beauty, we are reintroduced to our authentic selves.

当我们将美本土化时,我们会重新认识真实的自己。

I used to wonder whatever happened to that woman from the birthday party, you know, the one that told me I was too pretty to be Aboriginal.

我曾经想知道,那个在生日派对上告诉我“你太美了,不可能是土著人”的女人后来怎么样了。

A moment that was so devastating helped me to embrace my girgorou.

那一刻的打击让我拥抱了自己的吉格罗。

"Girgorou" means "beautiful" in Jirrbal, my grandmother's language.

在祖母的语言吉里巴尔语中,“吉格罗”意为“美丽”。

I now know that my girgorou is mighty, like Barangaroo.

我现在知道,我的吉格罗是强大的,就像巴拉兰鲁一样。

And my girgorou, like Walu, it's everlasting, from when that sun rises to when that sun sets.

我的吉格罗,就像瓦卢一样,它是永恒的,从日出到日落。

Are you ready to embrace your girgorou?

你准备好拥抱自己的吉格罗了吗?

Thank you.

谢谢大家。


最新评论

快速回复 返回顶部 返回列表