找回密码
 注册

QQ登录

只需一步,快速开始

扫一扫,访问移动社区

搜索

你可能会错过的好消息

发布者: 五毒 | 发布时间: 2024-6-28 20:07| 查看数: 75| 评论数: 0|

Animated corpses appear in stories all over the world throughout recorded history.

在有记载的历史中,动画尸体出现在世界各地的故事中。

But zombies have a distinct lineage— one that traces back to Equatorial and Central Africa.

但是僵尸有一个独特的血统—— 可以追溯到赤道和中非。

The first clue is in the word "zombi

The world feels scary right now. The planet heats. The clock ticks. The red lines climb.

这个世界现在感觉很可怕。地球变热。时钟滴答作响。红线越爬越高。

Death stalks the fields of Ukraine and the streets of Gaza.

死亡笼罩着乌克兰的田野和加沙的街道。

Famine looms in Sudan.

苏丹饥荒迫在眉睫。

And in the Middle East, the drums of war sound louder by the day.

而在中东,鼓声日益响亮。

Habitats shrink, democracy's flame sputters, authoritarianism and intolerance rear their ugly heads.

独裁者缩小了,民主的火焰燃烧者,独裁主义和不宽容抬起了丑陋的头。

Millions flee disaster and persecution.

数百万人逃离灾难和迫害。

The debts mount.

债务不断增加。

International cooperation falters.

国际合作陷入困境。

Everywhere we look, there are reports of decline.

我们所看到的地方,都有下降的报道。

Are we headed for disaster?

我们正在走向灾难吗?

Well, your answer to that question probably depends on where you've been getting your news,

好吧,你对这个问题的答案可能取决于你从哪里得到消息,

because here are some other stories from the last 12 months.

因为这里有过去12个月的其他一些故事。

Some other reports of decline that you may not have heard about.

您可能没有听说过的其他一些下降报告。

Last year, extreme poverty declined to its lowest level in human history, an estimated 8.4 percent.

去年,极端贫困率下降至人类历史上的最低水平,估计为8.4%。

Deforestation across the entire Amazon basin declined by 55 percent and violent crime in the United States declined to its lowest level since the 1960s.

整个亚马逊盆地的森林砍伐减少了55%,美国的暴力犯罪下降至20世纪60年代以来的最低水平。

In the last 12 months, a record number of countries have eliminated a disease, including, for the first time ever,

在过去12个月里,消灭疾病的国家数量创历史新高,其中包括有史以来第一次

Hepatitis C by Egypt and black fever by Bangladesh.

埃及的丙型肝炎和孟加拉国的黑病。

And global AIDS deaths have declined to their lowest level since the 1990s, down by more than two thirds since their peak.

全球艾滋病死亡人数已降至20世纪90年代以来的最低水平,较峰值下降了三分之二以上。

When I was in high school, that was the world's deadliest infectious disease.

当我上高中时,这是世界上最致命的传染病。

And now we have the power to end it.

现在我们有能力结束它。

So maybe you've been feeling despair over climate change or the fear of fascism rising like Dracula from the coffin,

所以也许你一直对气候变化感到绝望,或者对法西斯主义像德古拉一样从棺材里升起的恐惧,

of resource overshoots and political decay.

资源过度膨胀和政治衰败的影响。

But last year, carbon emissions in advanced economies declined back to the same level as 50 years ago.

但去年,发达经济体的碳排放量下降至50年前的水平。

Cancer death rates in America and Europe declined again.

美国和欧洲的癌症死亡率再次下降。

And air pollution is now falling in 21 of the world's 25 biggest cities.

目前,全球25个最大城市中有21个的空气污染正在下降。

Alongside those declines, other things have been on the rise.

除了这些下降之外,其他因素也在上升。

There are 50 million more girls in school today than there were just under a decade ago.

如今,在校女孩数量比不到十年前增加了5000万。

And last year, 418 million of the world's children got fed at school. That is almost one in five. This year, it's going to be even more.

去年,全世界有4.18亿儿童在学校吃饱饭。这几乎是五分之一。今年,它将会更多。

Since we were last all gathered here, millions of people have gained access to water.

自从我们上次聚集在这里以来,数百万人已经获得了水。

Tens of millions of people have gained access to electricity.

数千万人获得了电力。

Estonia and Greece have legalized same-sex marriage.

爱沙尼亚和希腊已经将同性婚姻合法化。

It looks like Thailand and Japan are going to be the next two on that list.

看来泰国和日本将成为下两个。

And at least ten countries in the last 12 months have passed laws expanding the rights of women, including France,

过去12个月里,至少有10个国家通过了扩大妇女权利的法律,其中包括法国,

which recently became the first country to enshrine reproductive rights into its constitution.

该国最近成为第一个将生殖权利写入宪法的国家。

In 2023, we installed so much wind and solar that it changed the trajectory of our climate future,

2023年,我们安装了如此多的风能和太阳能,改变了我们气候未来的轨迹,

with China's carbon emissions now predicted to start falling as early as this year.

目前预计中国的碳排放量最早将于今年开始下降。

In 2024, we are going to install enough global solar manufacturing capacity to reach our net-zero targets by the end of this decade.

2024年,我们将在全球建立足够的太阳能制造能力,以在本十年结束前实现净零目标。

A car powered by electrons was the world's best-selling vehicle last year,

电车是去年世界上最畅销的汽车,

and batteries are now the fastest-growing technology since human beings made aircraft in World War II.

电池现在是自二战人类制造飞机以来发展最快的技术。

We have crossed the threshold.

我们已经跨过了门槛。

There is too much momentum now to stop the transition to clean energy from happening.

现在的势头太大,无法阻止向清洁能源转型的发生。

I have two little girls, Lola and Cleo.

我有两个小女儿,洛拉和克利奥。

Lola is four years old, Cleo turned three the other day.

洛拉四岁了,克莱奥前几天就满三岁了。

And the International Energy Agency says that based on current trends, by the time my girls are my age,

国际能源署表示,根据目前的趋势,当我的女儿们到了我这个年纪时,

the world's electricity and transportation systems are on track to be almost entirely fossil-fuel-free.

世界的电力和交通系统即将几乎完全不使用化石燃料。

We are not doomed.

我们并没有注定要失败。

Did you know that 2023 was arguably the greatest year ever for conservation?

你知道2023年可以说是有史以来最伟大的一年吗?

We protected huge tracts of land in Alaska, the Amazon, southern Africa, and the entire Tibetan Plateau,

我们保护了阿拉斯加、亚马逊、南部非洲和整个青藏高原的大片土地,

which is an area larger than all of Western Europe.

面积比整个西欧还要大。

We created new marine protected areas off the coasts of Mexico, Chile, Panama, Dominica, South Georgia, Spain, Ireland, the Congo, Australia, Papua New Guinea, New Caledonia.

我们在墨西哥、智利、巴拿马、多米尼加、南乔治亚、西班牙、爱尔兰、刚果、澳大利亚、巴布亚新几内亚、新喀里多尼亚海岸建立了新的海洋保护区。

In the last 12 months, there have been hundreds of stories of cities being regreened, of farmland being rewilded, of rivers being cleaned up, islands being restored.

在过去的12个月里,发生了数百起城市被绿化、农田被野化、河流被清理的故事,岛屿正在修复。

And the populations of every single one of these species is now either recovering or on the rise.

这些物种中的每一个物种的数量现在要么正在恢复,要么正在增加。

Look, I know that a lot of stuff is going wrong. You know that a lot of stuff is going wrong. This is not some weird attempt to cancel or balance out the bad news. But here's an idea.

听着,我知道很多事情都出了问题。你知道很多事情都出了问题。这并不是为了抵消或平衡坏消息。但我有个想法。

If we want more people to devote themselves to the task of making progress,

如果我们希望更多的人致力于进步的任务,

then maybe we should be telling more people that it's possible to make progress.

那么也许我们应该告诉更多的人,取得进步是可能的。

If you're halfway up the mountain, you don't just stare at the top and say, "Oh my gosh, it looks so steep."

如果你在半山腰,你不会只是盯着山顶说:“天哪,看起来太陡了。"

You look back and you remind yourselves how far we've already come.

你回顾过去,提醒自己我们已经走了多远。

In the last 12 months, despite all of the challenges, we have climbed a little further.

在过去的12个月里,尽管面临所有挑战,我们还是进一步攀升了一点。

So don't bet against humanity.

所以不要与人性作对。

In Nevada, they're using geothermal techniques to tap into the clean energy of our planet.

在内华达州,他们正在使用地热技术来开发地球的清洁能源。

On the border of Belgium and France, they're using bacteria to break down plastic.

在比利时和法国边境,他们正在使用细菌来分解塑料。

In Shenzhen, they're delivering blood via drones.

在深圳,他们通过无人机献血。

And in space, new satellites mean polluters no longer have anywhere to hide.

在太空中,新卫星意味着污染者不再无处可藏。

We are launching 5,000-ton starships.

我们正在发射5000吨级的星舰。

We are making seven-billion- kilometer round trips to collect stardust from asteroids.

我们正在往返70亿公里,从小行星收集星尘。

We can perform miracles, enabling paralyzed people to walk by reading their brainwaves and sending the signals to their spine.

我们可以创造奇迹,通过读取瘫痪的人的脑电波并将信号发送到他们的脊柱,使他们能够行走。

We've mapped a quarter of the entire ocean floor,

我们已经绘制了整个海底四分之一的地图,

and NVIDIA's new Blackwell chip has as many transistors in it as there are stars in the entire Milky Way.

英伟达的新Blackwell芯片中的晶体管数量相当于整个银河系中恒星的数量。

In the last year, we started using CRISPR, genetic editing, to treat diseases like beta thalassemia and sickle cell disease.

去年,我们开始使用CRISPR(基因编辑)来治疗β地中海贫血和镰状细胞病等疾病。

And we created the largest-ever atlas of human brain cells.

我们创建了有史以来最大的人类脑细胞图谱。

We are using artificial intelligence to identify new drugs to combat antibiotic-resistant bacteria,

我们正在使用人工智能来识别对抗抗生素耐药细菌的新药,

something that kills over a million people every year.

每年导致超过一百万人死亡。

Two years ago, I almost lost my life to a bacterial infection.

两年前,我差点因细菌感染丧生。

I got lucky.

我很幸运。

In the future, many more people will be able to say the same.

未来,更多的人会说出同样的话。

I mean, we just used artificial intelligence to decipher the contents, the charred remains of the 2,000-year-old Herculaneum scrolls.

我是说,我们刚刚用人工智能破译了其中的内容,烧焦的2000年前赫库兰尼姆卷轴的残骸。

And, I don't know, maybe this is all boring to some of you, but to me, it really is indistinguishable from magic.

而且,我不知道,也许这对你们中的一些人来说很无聊,但对我来说,这确实与魔法没有什么区别。

Our scientific instruments are sensitive enough now to see plants speaking to each other.

我们的科学仪器现在足够敏感,可以看到植物相互交谈。

And to detect the gravitational waves from the collisions of supermassive black holes.

并探测超大质量黑洞碰撞产生的引力波。

All of a sudden, we know that we are humming in tune with the entire universe, that each of us contains the signature of everything that has ever been.

突然间,我们知道我们正在与整个宇宙合拍,我们每个人都包含着曾经存在的一切的特征。

Progress is possible.

取得进展是可能的。

Not all declines spell destruction.

并非所有的衰落都意味着毁灭。

Not all rising levels result in loss.

并非所有的水平上升都会导致损失。

And sometimes there really are new things under the sun.

有时阳光下确实有新事物。

These are the stories of the brave and the brilliant, and they also deserve our attention.

这些都是勇敢者和聪明者的故事,也值得我们关注。

最新评论

快速回复 返回顶部 返回列表