英语家园

 找回密码
 注册

QQ登录

只需一步,快速开始

扫一扫,访问移动社区

搜索

生态创作者通过社交媒体改善气候问题

发布者: 五毒 | 发布时间: 2023-9-18 02:14| 查看数: 78| 评论数: 0|

I recently graduated college where I studied environmental science and environmental sociology.

我最近刚从大学毕业,主修环境科学和环境社会学。

Now during one of my many, many finals week study breaks,

在我众多期末周中的学习假期,

I came across something that piqued my interest -- and it wasn't something I was supposed to be studying.

我遇到了激起我兴趣的一件事,而且我本不应该研究这件事。

It was a survey of 10,000 young people across ten different countries on their feelings regarding the climate crisis.

那是一份针对一万个来自十个不同国家的年轻人的关于气候危机看法的调查。

A survey found that 56 percent of Gen-Zers, the generation that I'm a part of and the largest age demographic in the world,

调查发现,56%的九七后,也就是和我一代的人,同时也是世界上占比最大的年龄群体,

believe that because of the climate crisis, humanity is doomed.

相信由于气候危机,人类前途灰暗。

This felt like a punch in the gut.

这对我是个巨大的打击。

I mean that I just had just spent four and a half years and tens of thousands of dollars studying these things:

我花了四年半时间和上万美元读这门课,

countless time organizing on and off campus and energy getting involved with both local and national groups,

有数不尽的时间在校内校外组织活动,费精力加入地方、全国的组织,

yet most of my generation viewed it all as pointless.

但我这一代大部分的人觉得这毫无意义。

Now if we look at the way that younger generations talk about the climate crisis, these feelings of doom and despair make sense.

现在让我们看年轻人对气候危机的看法,这些消极的悲观和绝望是合理的。

I mean, we're drowning in bad climate news.

我们被淹没在气候方面的坏消息中。

Headline after headline detail each week's latest catastrophe.

一个又一个头条讲述每周新的悲剧。

"Unprecedented" has taken on a new meaning as each day is unprecedented.

“史无前例”有了新定义,即每天都是史无前例的。

Just count how many times you'll probably hear it today.

只需数数你会一天听到它多少次。

I gave you two ones for free right there.

我刚刚就提了两遍。

And everything is amplified on social media where there's a remarkable lack of nuance and an oversupply of attention-grabbing rhetoric.

社交媒体放大了所有事情,急缺意义的辨别,有充斥着引人注目的修辞。

Many of us, including myself,

我们很多人,包括我自己,

seem to believe that if we just share these awareness posts enough times that someone somewhere will finally do something about it.

似乎相信如果分享这些帖子足够多次,就会有人来解决这些问题。

But unfortunately, Joe Biden probably doesn't follow you on Instagram, and he doesn't follow me either -- yet.

但不幸的是,拜登大概率没有关注你的Instagram,当然啦他也没关注我——目前还没关注。

I'm part of a diverse, 19-person-strong collective called EcoTok, and we use social media to share nuanced climate education through infographics,

我是一个名为EcoTalk,由19人组成的多样化强大组织的一员,我们用社交媒体分享细致的气候教育,通过信息图片、

memes and you guessed it, TikToks, to our collective audience of over four million people, most of whom are Gen Z and millennials.

梗图,还有你可能猜到了,抖音,我们的消息分享给至少四百万人,他们中的大多数是97后或零零后。

And through our work, we've picked up on this pattern.

在工作中,我们发现了一个规律。

Our comments sections are filled with people who have given up hope.

评论区里满是已经放弃希望的人。

People who say they have weekly anxiety attacks about the climate crisis.

他们说他们因为气候问题每周都有严重的焦虑。

Or that they don't want to have kids anymore out of fear of adding to the suffering.

或者害怕受苦,而不想要孩子。

Or that they see no point in taking action when the powers that stand against us are so strong.

或者他们觉得任何行为都没有意义,毕竟我们面对的权势是那么强大。

Our generation and younger generations need a new way of addressing the climate crisis that unshackles us from the cycles of doom and gloom that so often lead to inaction,

我们这一代,和更年轻的一代,需要从新角度看待气候危机,来把我们从导致不作为的悲观的循环中解脱出来,

because we cannot play a part in making change if we do not believe that change is possible.

如果我们不相信改变是有可能的,我们永远无法做出改变。

Climate denialism, which for decades has been peddled by oil, gas and other big business interests, has met its rival: climate doomism.

气候变化否定说,这个几十年来被汽油或其他大公司兜售的假说遇到了敌人:气候末日论。

The belief that we cannot save our planet, so why take action?

气候末日论认为既然我们无法拯救地球,那为什么要努力?

Though they differ in origin, both have the ability to paralyze action and prevent progress.

虽然这两种说法起源不同,但都可能阻滞行动、阻碍进程。

And though things are bad, they're far from over.

虽然情况不乐观,但还远远没到世界毁灭的程度。

So how do we find hope when things feel hopeless, and how do we communicate the inextricable link between hope and action?

那么,我们要怎么样在事情看上去绝望的情况下找到希望?我们要怎么样传递希望和行动之间密不可分的联系?

To answer this, let me take you back to March of 2020 -- absolutely no one's first choice of when to time travel to.

为了解答这个问题,让我带大家回到2020年的3月——不会有人把这个时间点当作时空旅行的目的地的首选。

Many of us were quarantined in our homes, people had stopped going out and socializing,

我们中的许多当时在家隔离,人们不再出门,不再社交。

yet the stream and virality of bad news certainly had not stopped.

但噩耗并没有停止迅速传播。

I was finishing up my semester at home, as well as working to move my activism online when I was hit, not only with COVID but also with burnout.

我在家中上完了一个学期,也把活动工作转移到了线上,我被击垮了,不但是因为新冠,还有劳累。

I began to question the efficacy of my work, my passion for environmentalism and the purpose in studying what I was studying.

我开始质疑我的工作的意义,我对环境主义的热爱,以及我在这个专业学习的目的。

I knew I needed something to inspire me.

我知道我需要什么来激励我。

I was scrolling on social media, and I saw a friend who had been sharing positive news stories.

我在刷社交媒体,然后我看到了一个朋友在分享正面的消息故事。

I paired this with the rise of feel-good dance videos that had really emerged on TikTok and started a series called "Weekly Earth Wins."

我把这些故事和抖音上新流行的正能量跳舞视频结合在一起,创办了一个叫“每周地球胜利”的系列。

Here's a look at one of those videos.

以下是其中一段视频的内容。

So at first this felt really, really silly.

刚开始这真的感觉很蠢。

I mean, what did dancing have to do with climate action?

毕竟,跳舞和环境行动有什么关系?

And what good was sharing good news when everything felt so bad?

而且世界一团糟的时候分享好消息有什么好?

But then I began to receive people's feedback.

但后来我开始收到人们的反馈。

People told me that these videos really helped mitigate their climate anxiety,

人们告诉我,这些视频确实帮助缓解了他们对气候的担忧,

that they looked forward to these videos week after week and that these videos helped turn their anger and anxiety into action.

他们每周都期待这些视频,而且这些视频促进他们把气愤和焦虑转化为行动。

So I continued making them.

因此,我接着做这些视频。

And in the process of finding good news stories to share, I began to pick up on trends.

在寻找好消息来分享的这个过程中,我开始关注流行趋势。

Week after week, institutions were divesting from fossil fuels.

一周又一周,机构废除化石燃料。

Week after week, land was given back to Indigenous communities.

一周又一周,原著居民拿回了他们的土地。

And week after week, states were implementing renewable energy standards.

一周又一周,各个州实行了再生能源的标准。

I never overlooked the scientific projections or data,

我从来没有忽视过科学预测或数据,

but rather tuned in to the hard-to-find good news stories and examples of successful on-the-ground work.

相反,我关注这些难找的好消息,和成功的实地工作。

And in the process, I uncovered the framework that I had been yearning for: climate optimism.

在这个过程中,我发觉了我一直以来渴望的观点:气候变化乐观主义。

Climate optimism is a framework based on the idea that despite the bleak projections and the high stakes, we can restore our planet back to health,

气候变化乐观主义相信,虽然前景严峻、风险高,我们仍然可以让地球恢复到健康的状态。

and in doing so, protect all that inhabit it.

与此同时,我们也可以保护所有栖息于地球上的生物。

Climate optimism is what gives us hope when things feel hopeless,

气候变化乐观主义在事情看似不乐观的情况下给我们希望,

is what sustains us in our pursuit of sustainability and is what fuels us in the uphill battle of transitioning away from fossil fuels.

支持我们追求可持续性,激励我们坚持代替化石燃料的艰苦斗争。

It's also what gives us the energy to continue fighting for our successes.

这也给了我们继续为成功而战的能量。

Virtually, the zero-emissions energy source that nobody talks about.

这种表面上没人在乎的零排放的能量。

So in this process, I realize also that climate optimism is not for everybody.

在这个过程中,我意识到气候乐观主义并不适用与所有人。

Climate optimism is not for politicians who have stalled on action or corporations who have incessantly pursued profits over people.

它不适用于停止行动的政客,或是只追求利润而不在乎人类的企业。

To them, my message is clear: listen to science and act now.

对他们,我要说的很清楚:听听科学是怎么说的,并从当下开始行动。

Stop failing the citizens and people that you have a duty to serve.

不要再辜负你们有责任服务的人民。

Rather, climate optimism is for those of us here today ...

相反,气候乐观是为我们今天在这里的人准备的。

that have dedicated our lives to fighting the greatest battle of our time.

他们将我们的一生奉献给了我们这个时代最伟大的战斗。

But also to the part-time activists: those who do what they can, when they can.

还有那些兼职的活动家:那些做了他们力所能及的事的人。

And perhaps most significantly, to the marginalized communities and people in the Global South,

也许最重要的是,对边缘化的群体和南半球的人民来说,

who frankly don't have time to get stuck in the cycles of doom and gloom.

坦率地说,他们没有时间陷入厄运和悲观的循环中。

The need for climate optimism has never been more urgent.

对气候乐观的需求从未像现在这样迫切。

If we limit our vision of the future to one filled with oil rigs, smokestacks and suffering,

如果我们把对未来的看法局限于一个只有石油钻机的世界,只有烟囱的世界,只有苦难的世界,

we limit our capacity and shirk our duty to change the course of humanity for the better.

我们也在局限我们的能力和我们改变世界让人类命运更好的责任。

By looking for good and working towards the good, we empower ourselves to be agents of good in the fight for the future that we deserve.

通过寻找善并努力走向善,我们使自己成为善的代理人,为我们应得的未来而战。

The alternative -- giving up hope -- only relinquishes power into the very entities that have gotten us into this mess.

为自己赋予真善美的力量另一条路——放弃希望——只会让将我们处于此境的东西夺走我们的力量。

Luckily, I'm not alone in championing this movement.

幸运的是,我并不是唯一支持这一运动的人。

My friends at EcoTok provide a great example of a diverse set of backgrounds,

我在EcoTok的朋友们提供了一个很好的例子,展示了不同的背景,

experiences and voices coming together to encourage this generation and the next.

声音汇聚在一起鼓舞这一代和下一代人的例子。

Here's a look at some of our work.

让我们来看看其中一些我们的作品。

(Video) Doria Brown: Canada is banning six types of plastics.

(视频)多莉亚·布朗:加拿大将禁止六类塑料制品。

The plastics include grocery bags, stir sticks, six-pack rings, reusable food containers, straws and utensils.

这些塑料制品包括食品袋,搅拌棒、塑料提扣、可重复利用食物容器,吸管和餐具。

Now hopefully they put some systems in place for some people who need those things for accessibility purposes,

现在,他们有希望制定一些规定,给那些出于无障碍目的需要这些东西的人,

but this is a step in the right direction, and I'm excited.

但这总归是迈向正确方向的一步,所以我还是激动的。

Gabrielle Langhorn: From desertification to bountiful vegetation, a community in Cearà,

加布里埃尔·兰霍恩:从荒漠化到茂盛的植被,一巴西塞阿拉的社区,

Brazil has been able to rehabilitate their landscape using amazing collective action and funding from FUNCEME.

已通过出色的集体行动和FUNCEME的资金恢复其地形。

Water is flowing, crops are growing and you can truly see a difference.

水在流动,农作物在生长,你能真切看到改变。

Henry Ferland: Welcome back, it is me, Trash Boy.

亨利·费兰德:欢迎回来,是我,垃圾男孩。

Every time I step outside I see trash and litter on the ground, and I hate it!

每次我走出门我都能看到地上有垃圾,我讨厌这样!

So let's clean some up!

所以,让我们清理一些吧!

I got my trash bag and gloves, let's go.

我带上了我的垃圾袋和手套,咱们走吧。

One, two, three, four, five.

一,二,三,四,五。

And all this trash in this grate, too.

还有所有这个下水道上的垃圾。

Much better.

好多了。

Storm grates like that is exactly how trash enters the ocean, and we don't want that.

这样的下水道是垃圾进入海洋的罪魁祸首,我们不想要这样。

There are already over 5.25 trillion pieces of trash in our oceans.

我们的海洋里已经有超过5.25兆的垃圾了。

Let's not let in any more.

我们不要再让垃圾进入海洋了。

ZB: We're not naive.

查拉·比亚巴尼:我们并不天真。

We know the details and the data that speak to the devastation of the climate crisis like the back of our hands because it's our future to inherit.

我们知道支撑环境危机恶化的细节和数据,完全知道,因为这是我们会继承的未来。

But we also know that the future we deserve cannot be built on the unstable foundations of fear and anxiety.

但我们同时知道我们应得的未来不该建立在恐惧和焦虑组成的摇摇欲坠的基础上。

It must be built with one of the few infinite resources that we have on this finite planet: hope.

必须由这个有限的世界少数几个无限的资源建成:希望。

So we choose climate optimism.

所以,我们选择气候乐观主义。

We choose to fight for the future that we deserve.

我们选择去为了我们应得的未来而奋斗。

And I hope you will, too.

我希望你也会这样做。

Thank you.

谢谢。


最新评论

快速回复 返回顶部 返回列表