So I put everything in my pickup truck and I moved from my childhood home of Kansas City to Seattle, the mecca of grunge music in the '90s.
我把所有东西放在我的皮卡上,从我儿时的家,堪萨斯城搬去了西雅图,那里是90年代垃圾摇滚的圣地。
And I was going to start a new band.
我想组个新乐队。
And unfortunately, none of the talent of Nirvana or Soundgarden rubbed off on me.
不幸的是,涅槃乐队和声音花园乐队的才能并未吸引到我。
It would have been a quite different life had it did.
换种情况,我的生活会截然不同。
But the splendor of the Pacific Northwest forests really did.
但是太平洋西北沿海森林的瑰丽使我流连忘返。
And it was the trees and all the life aboveground that drew me there, but it was the fungi and the microbes belowground that kept me coming back.
是地上的树木和生机吸引我去了那里,但是地表下的真菌和微生物使我不舍离去。
I just got even more and more interested about the way that they lived, all these bizarre forms, the fact that fungi are literally everywhere.
我对它们的生存方式、各种各样的形态、和普遍程度越来越感兴趣。
Right now, they're on your skin, in your gut.
此时此刻,它们在你的皮肤上,在你的肠胃里。
With every breath you take, you inhale dozens of fungal spores.
你每呼吸一次,就吸入了许多真菌孢子。
Every move you make, you trample mushrooms and molds beneath your feet, in the soil.
你每动一下,你脚底踩碎着土壤中的蘑菇和霉菌。
And their ubiquity ...
它们无处不在……
is a big reason why we know so little about fungi.
这就是我们对真菌知之甚少的一大原因。
Despite all the tools we have at our disposal, scientific tools, we know perhaps five percent of all the fungi,
虽然我们可以使用各种工具、各种科学手段,但我们现在只了解所有真菌的5%,
some three million species that are thought to exist in the world today.
我们认为当今世界总共存在大约300万种真菌。
Now that's a massive amount of biodiversity that we know virtually nothing about, how it lives and what it does.
我们对这大量的生物多样性几乎一无所知,我们不知道它们如何运转,有什么作用。
And that's what really inspired me to continue to study about fungi and ask deeper questions.
这也激励着我继续研究真菌,提出更深层次的问题。
Could some of this biodiversity help in creating a more resilient future?
这种生物多样性是否有助于创造一个更具韧性的未来?
What could we actually learn from fungi?
我们究竟能从真菌身上学到一些什么?
Were there metaphors that we might apply to how we live, to create a more resilient future together?
有没有我们可以借鉴应用于我们生活方式的地方,让我们一起创造一个更加稳定的未来?
I'd like to share with you some of those metaphors.
我想与大家分享几个可借鉴之处。
The first is that fungi are biointelligent.
第一点:真菌具有“生物智慧”。
Being on the planet for so long, fungi have created a really great ability to be good at resource efficiency and resilience, and, as it turns out, spatial planning.
真菌在地球上栖息亿年,已经具备高效率、灵活运用资源的能力,以及空间规划能力。
So researchers in Japan did this super cool experiment where they wanted to see if fungi could help engineers to create more efficient transport networks.
日本的研究者做了一个很酷炫的实验,他们想验证真菌能否帮助工程师创建更高效的交通网络。
So they laid out oatmeal on a petri dish, corresponding to the cities of the Tokyo metropolitan area.
于是,他们在培养皿中铺上燕麦,排列方式依据东京都地区城市的分布。
And they introduced a slime mold, a type of fungus whose favoritest food ever is oatmeal,
然后他们加入了一些黏菌,这种真菌最爱的食物就是燕麦,
and the fungus rapidly went through a process of self-optimization to find the most efficient links between its favoritest-ever food source,
黏菌迅速进行了自我优化,找出了其最爱食物之间最高效的路线,
represented by a map of the Tokyo metropolitan area.
形似东京市的地图。
And in a matter of hours, it would recreate, largely, the existing railway map of the Tokyo metropolitan area --
也就在几个小时后,它就几乎重现了东京都地区现有的铁路线路图——
a process it took engineers decades to actually produce.
而工程师们花了几十年完成这个过程。
Now the fungus, it has no brain, it has no plan, it was given no instructions or guidance.
真菌没有大脑,没有计划,没人给它指示或引导。
But still, it created a highly optimized network.
但它依旧创建出了一个高度优化的网络。
And this convinced me and other scientists that maybe fungi could have practical applications to help solve some of our human challenges in ways
这使得我和其他科学家相信也许真菌可以有一些实际应用,
that are quick and efficient and perhaps even more imaginative than we could do with all of our brains put together.
有助于快速、高效地解决人类面临的一些问题,并且比我们所有人的脑子加起来更有创意。
Now, another way that fungi can produce a metaphor is being collaborative.
我们可以借鉴真菌的另一处就是互相合作。
Now, there is most evidence in their relationship with plants.
最显著的例子就是真菌与植物的关系。
Now remember how algae evolved into plants through the help of fungi as their root system?
记得我刚说的藻类是如何借助真菌成为根系,进化成植物的吗?
Well, that love affair never ended.
这段爱恋还没结束。
Still today, 90 percent of all land plants need to have a mycorrhizal association.
时至今日,90%的陆生植物依旧需要菌根共生,
This is the plant-fungus-root association.
即植物和真菌的根系缔合。
So depicted here, in this highly realistic view of the underground of a forest ecosystem ...
如图所示,这是非常逼真的森林生态系统的地下景象,
you can see the fungus,
你可以看到真菌,
which exists in most of its life as thin filaments, and the network of thin filaments, we call it mycelium.
大多数时候都以细丝状存在,我们称细丝的整体为菌丝体(mycelium)。
And the mycelium of the fungus can tap into the root of plants and make a symbiosis.
真菌菌丝体进入植物根系,建立共生关系。
And thereby, they exchange nutrients that the other one isn't so good at making or capturing.
它们由此交换另一方不善于生产或捕获的养分。
So in case of the fungi, they're providing minerals to the plants, and the plants, through photosynthesis, are providing carbon.
以真菌为例,它们为植物提供矿物质,植物通过光合作用提供碳。
And so this exchange can go on between the organisms.
这样的交换可以在有机体间进行。
But it doesn't stop there, because the fungi can tap into other plants at the same time, and other plants can also have other fungal partners.
但是不止于此,因为真菌可以同时渗入其他植物,其他植物也可以有别的真菌伙伴。
So what you end up with is this massive underground network mediated by fungi.
所以最终得到的是由真菌操盘的巨型地下网络。
Now, it's not just nutrients that are flowing, but also communication,
不仅是养分在流动,它们还在交流,
because plants can talk to each other through the fungal network to create chemical signals to be able to warn of a pest attack, for example.
因为植物可以通过真菌网络互相交流,举个例子,发出化学信号预警虫害。
Now, fungi are also regenerative.
真菌还会再生。
Now, their ability to decompose is important for the planet, to say the least, because fungi eat death and give it back to life, as nutrients,
至少它们的分解能力对地球很重要,因为真菌会吃掉死掉的生物,以养分的形式让它重生,
to start the cycle anew.
开始新的循环。
In nature, there's no such thing as waste.
大自然里没有“废料”这种东西。
I mean, waste is a human concept.
废料是人类的概念。
Everything is used, everything is circular.
一切都有用处,一切都会循环。
Everything becomes something else.
一切都会变成别的东西。
And if you don't appreciate fungi, you will, for one reason, and it's that decompositional ability.
如果你无法欣赏真菌,你至少得对它的分解能力心服口服。
I mean, think about it.
我是说,想想看。
We would be buried under kilometers of undecayed plant matter and dead animals and poo without the decompositional ability of fungi.
如果没有真菌的分解能力,我们还被埋在几千米的地底,被未分解的植物物质、动物死尸和粪便环绕。
And that would be a pretty crappy existence, you've got to admit.
不得不承认这种存在也太不体面了。
So as a metaphor, fungi can provide us with ways of being biointelligent, collaborative and resilient.
所以真菌值得我们借鉴的地方有它们的生物智慧、互相合作和灵活韧性。
But I also believe that fungi have practical applications in how we produce materials.
我也相信,真菌会对我们的材料生产有实际的应用。
And this is actually my very cool day job,
这也就是我很酷的日常工作,
as researcher at a fermentation science company here in Oslo that's reimagining a new world of more sustainable materials of everyday products.
我作为奥斯陆一家发酵技术公司的研究人员,在重构一个将可持续材料用于日常用品的新世界。
So let me give you some examples.
让我给你们举几个例子。
One is biomaterials.
第一个例子是生物材料。
So taking a fungus, we can literally grow new materials, using agricultural residues,
利用真菌,我们真的可以“培育”出新材料,使用农业废料,
to replace unsustainable products like Styrofoam or Rockwool that often end up in landfills or in pollution.
代替聚苯乙烯泡沫塑料或岩棉这样不可持续的材料,避免它们最终被填埋或污染环境。
So we can grow things like soundproofing panels or insulation for buildings.
我们可以培育隔音板或者建筑保温层。
Or we can make mushroom Frisbees.
我们可以做出蘑菇飞盘。
The possibilities are nearly endless.
存在无限可能。
We can also make textiles from fungi.
我们还可以利用真菌制造纺织品。
So, for example, animal-free leathers.
比如,无动物成分的皮革。
So usually, you have a cow, and it takes about three years to make leather, and all the resources and animal death that is involved.
通常情况是你养了一头牛,养了三年可以产牛皮,耗费了许多资源还杀了一头动物。
Not a great way to make leather.
这么产牛皮可不太好。
If you can make it another way, like with fungi, it takes days to make it.
如果可以采取其他方式,比如利用真菌,只需要几天就可以完成。
A much better way that's both efficient and ethical, and how we can make leathers in the future.
更好的方式,更高效,更符合伦理,可以是我们未来制造皮革的方式。
And then, there's food, a subject I'm particularly passionate about.
还有个例子就是食物——我非常感兴趣的话题。
Now, with fungi, we can make a whole range of sustainable and delicious foods.
有了真菌,我们可以制作各种各样可持续又美味的食物。
Things like meat replacements for seafood or dairy, for example.
比如海鲜或奶制品的肉类替代品。
Or even a new class of food that doesn't look like any of that stuff.
也可以是与任何食物都不一样的新品种食物,
The possibilities are unlimited.
真菌可以带来无尽可能。
And we can do it in a way that has a fraction of the environmental footprint.
我们还可以采取一种减少环境足迹的方式。
Now fungi are self-replicating organisms, so we can make it in really huge quantities,
真菌是一种会自我复制的有机体,所以我们可以大量生产真菌,
and help address the challenge of how we're going to make more food and lower our impact on the planet.
有助于我们解决如何生产更多的食物,同时减少我们对地球的影响这一问题。
It's a big challenge.
问题不简单。
We can do it with fungi.
我们可以用真菌来做到这一点。
And last but not least, fish feed.
最后一个重要的例子:鱼饲料。
I mean, here we are in Norway, right?
我们在挪威,对吧?
The world's largest producer of salmon.
世界上最大的三文鱼生产国。
And what do we feed that salmon, as proteins?
我们用什么蛋白质喂三文鱼呢?
Two things, primarily -- soy and fish meal, neither of which are sustainable sources of protein for the future,
主要是两样东西:大豆和鱼粉,这两样都不算是未来可持续的蛋白质来源,
because they contribute to overfishing in the oceans and land-use patterns that degrade, for some of the lands.
因为它们会引发海洋的过度捕捞和会破坏某些土地的用地模式。
So we need to come up with more sustainable sources in how we feed our fish.
所以我们需要想出鱼类喂养更可持续的来源。
And what if we could do it using fungi to create the proteins to feed those fish?
如果我们可以利用真菌制作喂养三文鱼的蛋白质会怎样?
And we could do it in a way that we're using byproducts of food industries as food for our fungus when we grew it?
我们也许可以这么做,在培养真菌的时候使用食品工业的副产品作为真菌的食物来源。
It would be an amazingly sustainable system and, dare I say it, it would help in our self-sufficiency.
这是个相当可持续的系统,我甚至可以说,这有助于我们的自给自足。
Now, one of the coolest things about being a fungal researcher is, with all that diversity out there, probably the coolest thing that fungi can do,
作为一名真菌研究者,最酷的一点是虽然真菌品种丰富多彩,
we haven't even uncovered yet.
但也许真菌最酷的功能还在静待我们的发掘。
The most amazing fungal discoveries are still waiting to be made.
最惊艳的真菌发现还在路上。
We're only scratching the surface of what we might be able to achieve with the help of fungi.
我们对真菌能帮助我们实现的成果还只有浅薄的认识。
So I have a hope, and my hope is that we transfer our fungal problems into fungal solutions,
所以,我有这么一个希望,我希望我们可以将真菌产生问题变为用真菌解决问题,
that we look to the fungal world for new mindsets and new metaphors and even new materials,
我们可以通过真菌世界寻找新思路、新联系,甚至是新材料,
as we think more collaboratively, regeneratively and with more biointelligence, as we approach the future, just like fungi.