英语家园

 找回密码
 注册

QQ登录

只需一步,快速开始

搜索

灵感来自自然的智能浮动机器

发布者: 五毒 | 发布时间: 2022-9-30 21:30| 查看数: 37| 评论数: 0|



It's wonderful to be in a room with so many humans after all this time.

非常高兴在过了这么久以后看到大家欢聚一堂。

In the last few years, I've been keeping company with a new species that happens to live in the air.

过去几年里,一个新物种一直陪伴着我,它生活在空中。

And I'd like you all to meet my aerobe friend.

我想把这位aerobe朋友介绍给大家。

I get emotional every time I see it fly.

每次看到它飞起来我都很激动。

In my work as an artist, I ask a lot of questions about the world around me.

作为一个艺术家,我会问许多关于周围世界的问题。

While the problems of the world don't have easy solutions, I think it's as important to ask the right questions.

虽然关于世界的问题,往往没有简单的答案,但我认为提出正确的问题很关键。

Why do our technologies instill so much fear in us?

为什么我们的科技会让我们如此恐惧?

Why do our lives today feel so alienating, when our technologies are supposed to improve our lives?

科技本该让我们的生活更美好,但为何我们如今的生活如此疏远?

And why do we feel so disconnected, when our inventions are meant to connect each and every one of us?

我们的发明本该将每个人联结在一起,但为什么我们之间的联结却如此微弱?

My artwork deals with evolution, biology and the senses.

我的艺术作品与进化、生物和感官有关。

I'm interested in how organisms are composed of different life-forms, such as bacteria, fungi and viruses...

我的兴趣在于探索有机体是由什么样的生命形态组成,比如细菌、真菌、病毒等等……

But also how different chemical and molecular interactions can happen whenever we simply take a breath.

也非常好奇在我们呼吸之间会发生怎样不同的化学和分子反应。

So I've always found modern technology to be quite limiting because of how cold and flat it is.

我总是觉得现代科技很有局限,它们冰冷且直白。

But what if our machines could be more holistic?

但如果我们的机器可以更完整呢?

And what if our machines could relate to us in a more holistic way?

如果我们的机器可以以一种更多样的方式与我们产生联结呢?

And what if our machines could be more than just our tools, and instead, a new type of companion species?

如果我们的机器不仅仅是我们的工具,更是一种新伙伴呢?

I believe we need to embrace who we are as symbiotic living beings, and design machines to reflect this.

作为一种共生生物,我认为我们需要接受我们的本质,并设计机器反映这个特质。

What if the world was populated by machines that were more like animals and plants, instead of something you'd find in a factory?

如果这个世界充满了类似动植物的机器,而非工厂里千篇一律的机械,会怎么样呢?

This exploration could teach us so much more about life, in all its vast complexities.

这种探索让我们深入了解生命,高深莫测的生命。

These ideas might sound like mere science fiction.

这些想法听起来只会存在于科幻小说中。

But my mission as an artist is to create possibilities of other worlds, and other ways of living and being, even if just for a moment.

但是我作为艺术家的使命就是创造其他世界的可能性,创造其他生存、生活的方式,就算可能转瞬即逝。

So when I was invited to imagine a large-scale installation at the Tate Modern in London, I decided to make this world I'm describing a reality.

当我被邀请为伦敦泰特现代美术馆设计一个大型装置时,我决定将我所描述的这个世界变成现实。

The museum space is incredibly vast.

博物馆的空间很大。

And I knew right away that I wanted to transform it into an aquarium of machines.

我立马想到要把它变成一个机器的“水族馆”。

I asked myself: What would it feel like to live in the world with machines that could live in the wild and evolve on their own?

我问我自己:“生活在一个机器可以在野外自主生存进化的世界里会是什么感觉?”

To explore this question, I created two new machine species that I call aerobes.

为了探索这个问题,我创造了两个全新的机器物种,名叫“aerobe”(需氧菌)。

I released 12 aerobes into the museum space.

我在展厅放了12个aerobes。

So, they could form their own small ecosystem.

这样它们可以形成自己的小型生态系统。

In order to minimize our human-centric biases, and to steer clear of simply mimicking the human form,

为了尽量减少我们以人类为中心的偏见,避免简单地模仿人类形态,

I worked with my team to look at the natural world.

我和我的团队观察了自然世界。

And we were inspired by creatures like the comb jellyfish and the lion's mane mushroom.

我们也受到了一些生物的启发,比如栉水母和猴头菇。

We also looked deeply into the field of soft robotics,

我们也深入研究了柔性机器人这一领域,

and ultimately brought the aerobes to life by designing them with fluid movement and lighter-than-air construction.

终于令aerobes问世,它动作流畅,构造比空气还要轻。

When you look at these aerobes, it gives you a feeling almost opposite to the uncanny valley.

看着这些aerobes,你会产生与恐怖谷截然相反的感受。

You know that they're mechanical, yet they feel palpably alive.

你知道它们只是机械,但是你可以感受到它们的存在。

You feel like you might be next to some majestic and remote life-form.

你可能会感觉你身边是一个壮观的远古生物。

Like swimming next to a humpback whale.

就像在一条座头鲸边上游泳。

Their size is imposing.

它们的尺寸令人望而生畏。

Yet they inspire an emotion closer to awe than to fear.

但是它们带来的是敬畏而不是畏惧。

You sense that they're almost living.

你会感受到它们几乎就是活的,

And it makes you want to embrace and coexist with them, to see them truly succeed.

让你想接受它们、与它们共存、见证它们真正地蓬勃生长。

I wanted the aerobes to have a sense of freedom and unpredictability.

我希望aerobes传达着自由和不可预见的感觉。

So, I worked with my team to create what is called an artificial life simulation.

所以我和我的团队制作了人工生命仿真软件。

This software allows each aerobe to develop unique behaviors and to respond autonomously to its environment.

这个软件让每一个aerobe都能产生独特的行为,自主地应对环境。

The aerobes evolve their personalities as they interact and learn from each other.

这些aerobe通过互动和互相学习发展出自己的个性。

The more we flew them, the more we got to know their distinct personalities and their gentle nature.

我们放飞它们的次数越多,就能更了解它们独特的个性和温和的本质。

It was very important for me that the aerobes had their own sensory world.

这些aerobes能有自己的感官世界,对我来说非常重要。

Most AI functions like a mind without a body.

大多数的人工智能程序更像一个没有身体的大脑。

But all living creatures, from the humble tick to the stealthy panther, learn about the world through their bodies and their senses.

但是所有的生物,从微不足道的虱子到难见踪影的豹子,都会通过它们的身体和感官了解着世界。

These aerobes perceive each other through high-frequency radio waves.

这些aerobes通过高频无线电波感知对方,

And they use thermal sensing to detect other living creatures in their environment.

利用热感应检测它们环境中的其他生物。

An aerobe might be curious about your heat signature, and fly over to greet and flirt with you,

一只aerobe可能会因为对你的热量特征很感兴趣,飞过来和你打招呼,撩一撩你,

while other aerobes are more shy and might go out of their way to avoid a crowd.

其他aerobes就比较害羞,可能会转身离场,远离“人”群。

How will these machines and humans be together in the world?

这些机器和人类如何在世界上共存呢?

What will this world look like?

这个世界会是什么样的呢?

This world may see machines and humans generating new intimacies and alternate perspectives.

在这样的世界上,机器和人类会建立新的亲密关系,带来全新视角。

My hope is that these aerobes will help us appreciate a more diverse way of living and being.

我的愿望是这些aerobes能让我们更接纳一种多元的生存方式。

Their purpose is not to compete with us or to dominate us, but to ask what a more compatible future could look like.

它们的目的不是与我们竞争,或是统治我们,而是展望一个更兼容的未来。

We all have a stake in this conversation about technologies.

我们每个人都需要参与关于科技的讨论。

Can we actively align machines to better reflect our biological reality?

我们可以主动让机器更好地展现我们的生物特质吗?

I sincerely hope that you'll consider that machines can be so much more than what we've known, and how they might embody a wisdom drawn from biology.

我衷心地希望你能认为机器能做到比我们所知的多得多,它们能体现来自生物学的智慧。

This project is a project for everybody, to imagine different worlds and different futures.

这个项目是为了普罗大众,让大家畅想不同的世界和不同的未来。

It's not too late to change machine evolution and to consider new goals, where machines and humans can coexist in a more compassionate way.

改变机器进化为时不晚,我们仍旧可以设定新的目标,让机器和人类以一种互相更加理解的方式共存。

I believe this is where we can start the conversation.

我认为这可以是我们旅程的起点。

Thank you.

谢谢。


最新评论

快速回复 返回顶部 返回列表