英语家园

 找回密码
 注册

QQ登录

只需一步,快速开始

搜索

我的女儿,马拉拉

发布者: 五毒 | 发布时间: 2022-9-29 21:30| 查看数: 54| 评论数: 0|



There is one more norm of the patriarchal societies that is called obedience.

在重男轻女的社会里有一项常态,那就是服从。

A good girl is supposed to be very quiet, very humble and very submissive.

一个好女孩应该非常安静,非常谦虚,非常顺从。

It is the criteria.

这是准则。

The role model good girl should be very quiet.

好女孩的榜样应该是非常安静的。

She is supposed to be silent and she is supposed to accept the decisions of her father and mother and the decisions of elders,

她必须处于沉默的状态,无条件接受一切来自父母的,长者的决定。

even if she does not like (them).

即使她不喜欢那些决定。

If she is married to a man she doesn't like or if she is married to an old man, she has to accept,

如果她要嫁给一个自己不喜欢的男人,或者她要嫁给一个比自己年龄大很多的男人,她必须无条件接受。

because she does not want to be dubbed as disobedient.

因为她不想被带上"不顺服"的名声。

If she is married very early, she has to accept.

如果她过早地结婚,她也必须服从。

Otherwise, she will be called disobedient.

要不然,她就会被众人称作是“不顺服”。

And what happens at the end?

这样的结局会是什么?

In the words of a poetess, she is wedded, bedded, and then she gives birth to more sons and daughters.

用诗人的话说,结婚并同床,然后她生下更多的儿子和女儿。

And it is the irony of the situation that this mother,

这种情况的讽刺之处在于,

she teaches the same lesson of obedience to her daughter and the same lesson of honor to her sons.

这名母亲又将服从的概念灌输给自己的女儿,将荣耀的概念灌输给自己的儿子。

And this vicious cycle goes on, goes on.

这种恶性循环一直持续。

Ladies and gentlemen, this plight of millions of women could be changed if we think differently,

女士们先生们,我认为,数以百万计女性的苦境,是可以被改变的,如果我们从不同的角度思考,

if women and men think differently, if men and women in the tribal and patriarchal societies in the developing countries,

如果女性和男性换位思考,如果在发展中国家,那些生于重男轻女和部落制社会中的男性和女性,

if they can break a few norms of family and society,

如果他们愿意打破家庭和社会中的一些陈规,

if they can abolish the discriminatory laws of the systems in their states, which go against the basic human rights of the women.

如果他们能废除在国家体系中存在的带有歧视性的法律,这些法律违反女性最基本的人权。

Dear brothers and sisters, when Malala was born, and for the first time, believe me, I don't like newborn children, to be honest,

亲爱的兄弟姐妹们,当马拉拉出生时,在那一次,相信我,坦白说,我不喜欢新生儿,

but when I went and I looked into her eyes, believe me, I got extremely honored.

但当我看到她的眼睛时,相信我,我觉得分外荣幸。

And long before she was born, I thought about her name, and I was fascinated with a heroic legendary freedom fighter in Afghanistan.

在她出生很久之前,我就开始想给她取什么名字,我当时对在阿富汗战争中一位为自由而战的传奇女性着迷,

Her name was Malalai of Maiwand, and I named my daughter after her.

她的名字是迈旺得的马拉拉,所以我给自己的女儿也取名马拉拉。

A few days after Malala was born, my daughter was born,

在马拉拉生日后的几天,我的女儿出生了,

my cousin came -- and it was a coincidence -- he came to my home and he brought a family tree,

我的堂兄过来了——这完全是意料之外的——他来我家,并带来了族谱,

a family tree of the Yousafzai family, and when I looked at the family tree, it traced back to 300 years of our ancestors.

那是属于优素福家族的族谱,我翻阅着它,它记录了三百年前我们的祖先。

But when I looked, all were men, and I picked my pen, drew a line from my name, and wrote, "Malala."

但当我细看的时候,名单里全是男性,随后我拿起了笔,在我名字的下方划了一条线,然后写上,"马拉拉”。

And when she grow old, when she was four and a half years old, I admitted her in my school.

她渐渐长大,当她四岁半的时候,我送她去我的学校。

You will be asking, then, why should I mention about the admission of a girl in a school?

你或许会问,为什么我要提到送女儿去学校?

Yes, I must mention it.

是的,我必须说说这件事。

It may be taken for granted in Canada, in America, in many developed countries, but in poor countries, in patriarchal societies, in tribal societies,

在加拿大,美国等发达国家,这可能是理所当然的,但是在贫困国家,在重男轻女或部落制的社会中,

it's a big event for the life of girl.

这对女孩来说无比重要。

Enrollment in a school means recognition of her identity and her name.

将她送进学校意味着对她个体和名字的认可。

Admission in a school means that she has entered the world of dreams and aspirations where she can explore her potentials for her future life.

被学校录取意味着她进入了一个充满梦想和抱负的世界,在那里她可以为未来的生活探索自己的潜力。

I have five sisters, and none of them could go to school, and you will be astonished, two weeks before,

我有五个姐妹,她们之中没有一个人上过学校,接下来的故事也许会让你震惊,两周前,

when I was filling out the Canadian visa form,

当我在填加拿大签证表格的时候,

and I was filling out the family part of the form, I could not recall the surnames of some of my sisters.

我发现自己需要填写家庭成员信息,我那时居然想不起我一些姐妹的姓氏。

And the reason was that I have never, never seen the names of my sisters written on any document.

原因就是,我从来没有见过自己的姐妹在任何文件中写过自己的名字。

That was the reason that I valued my daughter.

这就是为什么我珍重女儿的原因。

What my father could not give to my sisters and to his daughters, I thought I must change it.

我父亲不能给予自己女儿的东西,我想我一定要改变这个现象。

I used to appreciate the intelligence and the brilliance of my daughter.

我经常表扬我女儿,赞扬她聪明,机智。

I encouraged her to sit with me when my friends used to come.

当有朋友来的时候,我鼓励她和我坐在一起。

I encouraged her to go with me to different meetings.

我鼓励她和我一起参加不同的会议。

And all these good values, I tried to inculcate in her personality.

所有这些好的价值我都试图灌输到她的性格中。

And this was not only she, only Malala,

但不仅仅是她,不仅仅是马拉拉,

I imparted all these good values to my school, girl students and boy students as well.

我把这些好的价值带去学校,带给男同学也带给女同学。

I used education for emancipation.

我通过教育带来解放。

I taught my girls, I taught my girl students, to unlearn the lesson of obedience.

我教育自己的女儿,教育自己的女学生,要学会对“服从”说不。

I taught my boy students to unlearn the lesson of so-called pseudo-honor.

我教育我的男学生,要忘记所谓的“荣耀”。

Dear brothers and sisters, we were striving for more rights for women,

亲爱的兄弟姐妹们,我们正在为妇女争取更多的权利。

and we were struggling to have more, more and more space for the women in society.

我们也在努力在社会中为女性争取更多的空间和地位,

But we came across a new phenomenon.

但我们遇到了一个新现象。

It was lethal to human rights and particularly to women's rights.

这对人权,尤其是对妇女权利是致命的。

It was called Talibanization.

这个现象叫做塔利班化。

It means a complete negation of women's participation in all political, economical and social activities.

这种现象剥夺了女性的参与权,无论是在政治活动,经济活动,还是社会活动之中。

Hundreds of schools were lost.

上百所学校被关闭。

Girls were prohibited from going to school.

女孩被禁止上学。

Women were forced to wear veils and they were stopped from going to the markets.

妇女被迫带上面纱,而且她们被禁止去集市。

Musicians were silenced, girls were flogged and singers were killed.

音乐家被静止弹奏音乐,女孩被鞭打,歌手被刺杀。

Millions were suffering,

数百万人受苦受难。

but few spoke, and it was the most scary thing when you have all around such people who kill and who flog, and you speak for your rights.

但只有极少数人敢站出来发声,最恐怖的事情是,你的周围遍布经常进行杀戮和鞭打的人,但你仍要为自己的权利发出呐喊。

It's really the most scary thing.

这真的是最可怕的事。

At the age of 10, Malala stood, and she stood for the right of education.

在马拉拉十岁的时候,她挺身而出,为自己的教育权利呐喊。

She wrote a diary for the BBC blog, she volunteered herself for the New York Times documentaries,

她把自己的一篇日记作为BBC的博客,她志愿参加《纽约时代》一些纪录片的制作。

and she spoke from every platform she could.

她尽量利用每一个平台去发出自己的声音。

And her voice was the most powerful voice.

她的声音是世界上最强有力的声音。

It spread like a crescendo all around the world.

她的声音逐渐传播到世界的每一个角落。

And that was the reason the Taliban could not tolerate her campaign, and on October 9 2012, she was shot in the head at point blank range.

这就是为什么塔利班不能容忍她的宣传活动,在2012年10月9日,她的头部遭到近距离射击。

It was a doomsday for my family and for me.

那天对我们全家人尤其对我自己来说,简直是世界末日。

The world turned into a big black hole.

整个世界变成了一个大黑洞。

While my daughter was on the verge of life and death, I whispered into the ears of my wife,

我的女儿处于生命垂危状态,我低声对妻子说,

"Should I be blamed for what happened to my daughter and your daughter?"

“对于发生在我们女儿身上的事情,我是不是有责任?”

And she abruptly told me, "Please don't blame yourself.

她立刻打断我:“请别责备自己。

You stood for the right cause.

你之前所做的没有错。

You put your life at stake for the cause of truth, for the cause of peace,

你将自己的生命至于危险之中,是为了真理,为了和平,

and for the cause of education, and your daughter in inspired from you and she joined you.

也为了教育,你的女儿受到了启发,并愿意和你并肩作战。

You both were on the right path and God will protect her."

你们两个人都在正确的道路上,真主会保佑她。”

These few words meant a lot to me, and I didn't ask this question again.

这一番话对我意义非常大,此后我也没有再问过这样的问题。

When Malala was in the hospital, and she was going through the severe pains and she had had severe headaches because her facial nerve was cut down,

当马拉拉在医院的时候,她忍受着巨大的痛苦,她头痛极为严重,因为她的面部神经被切断了,

I used to see a dark shadow spreading on the face of my wife.

我妻子的脸成天被阴云笼罩着。

But my daughter never complained.

但我女儿从未抱怨过。

She used to tell us, "I'm fine with my crooked smile and with my numbness in my face.

她会告诉我们,“虽然我笑容奇怪,面部僵硬,这些都没有关系。

I'll be okay.

我会没事的。

Please don't worry."

不要担心。”

She was a solace for us, and she consoled us.

她是我们的安慰,给我们带来慰藉。

Dear brothers and sisters, we learned from her how to be resilient in the most difficult times,

亲爱的兄弟姐妹们,从她身上,我学到了在困境中如何变得坚强,

and I'm glad to share with you that despite being an icon for the rights of children and women,

我也很乐意和你们分享,尽管她如今是儿童和妇女权益领域的重要人物,

she is like any 16-year old girl.

她和其他16岁的女孩没有什么不同。

She cries when her homework is incomplete.

当作业没有写完时,她会哭。

She quarrels with her brothers, and I am very happy for that.

她也会和兄弟争吵,我觉得这些其实都很正常。

People ask me, what special is in my mentorship which has made Malala so bold and so courageous and so vocal and poised?

人们问我,为什么我的启蒙能让马拉拉如此大胆,如此勇敢,有感召力并且镇定自若?

I tell them, don't ask me what I did.

我告诉他们,不要问我做了什么。

Ask me what I did not do.

问我没有做什么。

I did not clip her wings, and that's all.

我所做的,只是没折断她的翅膀。

Thank you very much.

非常感谢。

Thank you. Thank you very much.

谢谢。非常感谢。

Thank you.

谢谢。


最新评论

快速回复 返回顶部 返回列表