英语家园

 找回密码
 注册

QQ登录

只需一步,快速开始

搜索

关注老师们的心理健康

发布者: 五毒 | 发布时间: 2022-9-28 21:30| 查看数: 52| 评论数: 0|



Like many teachers, every year on the first day of school, I lead a sort of icebreaker activity with my students.

像很多老师一样,每年在开学的第一天,我都会和我们的学生做些"破冰"活动。

I teach at Lincoln High School in Lincoln, Nebraska, and we are one of the oldest and most diverse high schools in our state.

我在内布拉斯加州林肯市的林肯高中教书,我们是整个州里最古老,最多元的学校。

Also, to our knowledge, we're the only high school in the world whose mascot is the Links.

而且,据我们所知,我们是世界上唯一一所把链环当作吉祥物的学校。

Like, a chain.

就像是,锁链。

And with that being our mascot, we have a statue out front of our building of four links connected like a chain.

正因为锁链是我们的吉祥物,在我们的教学楼前有一座雕塑,由四条似链环的东西链接而成。

And each link means something.

每一个链环都有所寓意。

Our links stand for tradition, excellence, unity and diversity.

我们的链环代表了传统、卓越,团结和多样性。

So on the first day of school, I teach my new ninth-graders about the meaning behind those links,

所以在开学的第一天,我会教九年级的新生关于这些锁链背后的含义,

and I give them each a slip of paper.

然后,我给了他们每人一张纸。

On that paper, I ask them to write something about themselves.

在纸上,我让他们写下一些关于他们自己的事情,

It can be something that they love, something that they hope for -- anything that describes their identity.

可以是他们所爱的事情,他们所期望的事——任何能代表他们自己的事。

And then I go around the room with a stapler, and I staple each of those slips together to make a chain.

然后我拿着订书机在教室四处走动,我把他们的纸片订在一起做成了一条链子。

And we hang that chain up in our classroom as a decoration, sure, but also as a reminder that we are all connected.

然后我们把它们都串起来挂在教室里做装饰,同时,也提醒着我们彼此间的联系。

We are all links.

我们都是链环。

So what happens when one of those links feels weak?

那么当我们的其中一环变得脆弱时会怎么样呢?

And what happens when that weakness is in the person holding the stapler?

而且若变脆弱的人正是手里拿着订书机的那位又会怎样?

The person who's supposed to make those connections.

那位本该去建立那些联系的人。

The teacher.

我们的老师。

As teachers, we work every day to provide support socially,

作为老师,我们每日工作,在社交上、

emotionally and academically to our students who come to us with diverse and tough circumstances.

心理上和学习上为那些来自各种各样的艰苦背景,并寻求我们帮助的学生们提供支持。

Like most teachers, I have students who go home every day,

跟大多数老师一样,我的学生中也有那些每天回家,

and they sit around the kitchen table while one or both parents makes a healthy, well-rounded meal for them.

都能坐在餐桌上享用父母其中一位,或双方一起准备的健康、丰盛的食物。

They spend suppertime summarizing the story they read in ninth-grade English that day, or explaining how Newton's laws of motion work.

他们用晚餐时间总结在当天九年级英文课里读到的故事,或者解释牛顿的万有引力定律。

But I also have students who go to the homeless shelter or to the group home.

但是,我也有很多学生下课后要回到流浪者之家,或者回到教养院。

They go to the car that their family is sleeping in right now.

他们会回到一家人所住的车里。

They come to school with trauma, and when I go home every day, that goes home with me.

他们带着创伤来到学校,当我每天回家时,也带着他们的创伤。

And see, that's the hard part about teaching.

看,这就是教学中最难的部分。

It's not the grading, the lesson-planning, the meetings,

这无关打分,备课,或者会议。

though sure, those things do occupy a great deal of teachers' time and energy.

当然,这些事情占据了老师大量的时间和精力。

The tough part about teaching is all the things you can't control for your kids,

教书的艰难之处,是那些你无能为力的事。

all the things you can't change for them once they walk out your door.

是孩子们走出了你的这扇门,所有那些你无法为他们改变的事。

And so I wonder if it's always been this way.

所以,我在想是否一直以来都是如此。

I think back to my undergraduate training at the University of Georgia,

回想我在佐治亚大学接受本科教学方法的培训时,

where we were taught in our methods classes that the concept of good teaching has changed.

关于何为好的教育的概念已经改变。

We're not developing learners who are going to go out into a workforce where they'll stand on a line in a factory.

我们不是在培养为了能要跻身工人行列,在工厂的流水线上工作的学习者。

Rather, we're sending our kids out into a workforce where they need to be able to communicate, collaborate and problem-solve.

相反,我们要把我们的孩子送进一个工作环境,在那里他们能够彼此交流、互相合作,并解决问题。

And that has caused teacher-student relationships to morph into something stronger than the giver of content and the receiver of knowledge.

这也使得师生关系变得比内容的给予者和知识的接受者更稳固。

Lectures and sitting in silent rows just doesn't cut it anymore.

仅仅只有讲师在授课,学生在安静聆听是远远不够的。

We have to be able to build relationships with and among our students to help them feel connected in a world that depends on it.

我们需要与学生建立某种关系,帮助他们在这个依赖、彼此联系的世界里感受到这种联系。

I think back to my second year teaching.

回想我开始教学的第二年。

I had a student who I'll call "David."

我遇到了一位叫“大卫”的学生。

And I remember feeling like I'd done a pretty good job at teaching that year:

我记得在那一年里,我觉得我的教学进展非常顺利:

"Hey, I ain't no first-year teacher.

“嘿,我不再是个新人老师。

I know what I'm doing."

我知道我在做什么。”

And it was on the last day of school, I told David to have a great summer.

那是学期的最后一天,我祝大卫有一个愉快的暑假。

And I watched him walk down the hall, and I thought to myself, I don't even know what his voice sounds like.

我看着他走出大厅,我心里想,我甚至都没听过他的声音。

And that's when I realized I wasn't doing it right.

那一刻我忽然觉得有什么事我做错了。

So I changed almost everything about my teaching.

所以我开始大刀阔斧地改变我的教学方法。

I built in plenty of opportunities for my students to talk to me and to talk to each other, to share their writing and to verbalize their learning.

我为学生创造了很多与我交谈的机会,同时他们也与彼此交谈,分享作品,用语言表达他们的学习过程。

And it was through those conversations I began not only to know their voice but to know their pain.

这样的对话不仅使我听到了他们的声音,也了解到了他们的创伤。

I had David in class again that next year, and I learned that his father was undocumented and had been deported.

接下来的一年,大卫又出现在了班上,我得知他的父亲因为没有合法文件,已经被驱逐出境。

He started acting out in school because all he wanted was for his family to be together again.

他在学校发泄他的不满,但这不过是形式,因为他想要的是家人能再次团圆。

In so many ways, I felt his pain.

在很多方面,我都感受到了他的痛苦。

And I needed someone to listen, somebody to provide support for me so that I could support him in this thing that I could not even comprehend.

我也渴望有人来倾听,有人能给予我一些支持,这样我就可以在这件我都无法完全理解的事上去支持他。

And we recognize that need for police officers who've witnessed a gruesome crime scene and nurses who have lost a patient.

在那些目睹犯罪惨案现场的警察身上,那些眼睁睁看着病人离世的护士身上,我们看到了同样的需求。

But when it comes to teaching professionals, that urgency is lagging.

但是到了教师岗位,其紧迫性还远远不够。

I believe it's paramount that students and teachers, administrators,

我相信,让学生和老师,行政管理人员、

paraprofessionals and all other support staff have convenient and affordable access to mental wellness supports.

辅助性专业人员,以及所有其他从事支持性工作的人得到便捷的、可负担的心理健康支持尤其必要。

When we are constantly serving others, often between 25 and 125 students each day, our emotional piggy banks are constantly being drawn upon.

当我们在不断地为他人服务,每天大概要管理25到125名学生时,我们自己的情感储蓄也在不断地消耗。

After a while, it can become so depleted, that we just can't bear it anymore.

过一段时间,它终会耗尽,我们或许再也受不了了。

They call it "secondary trauma" and "compassion fatigue," the concept that we absorb the traumas our students share with us each day.

人们把它称之为“二次创伤”和“同情疲劳”,即每天在分担学生的痛苦时,自己也受到了情感影响。

And after a while, our souls become weighed down by the heaviness of it all.

再过一些日子,我们的灵魂将不能承受生命之沉重。

The Buffett Institute at the University of Nebraska recently found that most teachers --

内布拉斯加州大学巴菲特研究所在最新的研究中发现,大多数老师——

86 percent across early childhood settings -- experienced some depressive symptoms during the prior week.

孩童早期教育行业中86%的老师——在早期都表现出不同程度的抑郁症状。

They found that approximately one in 10 reported clinically significant depressive symptoms.

他们发现大约十位里面就有一位报告称有临床抑郁症状。

My interactions with colleagues and my own experiences make me feel like this is a universal struggle across all grade levels.

我和同事们的交流以及我自身的经历让我觉得这是一个跨越所有年级的普遍斗争。

So what are we missing?

那我们缺少了什么?

What are we allowing to break the chain and how do we repair it?

我们该如何打破这样的锁链,又该如何修复它?

In my career, I've experienced the death by suicide of two students and one amazing teacher who loved his kids.

在我的职业生涯,我经历过两位学生的自杀,以及一位了不起的老师的自杀,他很爱他的孩子们。

Countless students experiencing homelessness, and kids entering and exiting the justice system.

无数的学生经受着无家可归的折磨,还有那些进出司法部门的孩子们。

When these events happen, protocol is to say, "If you need someone to talk to, then ..."

当这些事情发生时,我们总是礼貌性的说,“如果你需要和某人谈谈,那么……”

And I say that's not enough.

我认为这远远不够。

I am so lucky.

我太幸运了。

I work in an amazing school with great leadership.

我在一所有着出色领导力的优秀学校中工作。

I serve a large district with so many healthy partnerships with community agencies.

我服务于一个很大的辖区,与社区机构有很多健康的合作关系。

They have provided steadily increasing numbers of school counselors and therapists and support staff to help our students.

他们为学生们提供了越来越多的学校辅导员、治疗师和辅助人员。

They even provide staff members with access to free counseling as part of our employment plan.

他们甚至为教职工提供了免费咨询服务,作为我们就业合约的一部分。

But many small districts and even some large ones simply cannot foot the bill without aid.

但是还有很多小的地区,甚至是一些较大的地区,如果没有得到援助,就根本无法负担这些服务。

Not only does every school need social and emotional support staff, trained professionals who can navigate the needs of the building --

不仅是每一个学校需要社会和心理支持职工,训练有素的专业人员,能够满足教学的需要——

not just the students, not just the teachers, but both --

不仅是学生或者老师需要,而是两者都需要——

we also need these trained professionals to intentionally seek out those closest to the trauma and check in with them.

我们需要这些训练有素的专业人员去发现那些最接近创伤的人们,并与他们会诊。

Many schools are doing what they can to fill in the gaps, starting with acknowledging that the work that we do is downright hard.

很多学校正尽其所能来填补空缺,首先,要承认我们所做的工作是非常艰苦的。

Another school in Lincoln, Schoo Middle School, has what they call "Wellness Wednesdays."

林肯的另一所学校,斯克中学,有一项他们称之为“健康星期三”的活动。

They invite in community yoga teachers,

他们邀请社区瑜伽老师,

they sponsor walks around the neighborhood during lunch and organize social events that are all meant to bring people together.

他们也邀请大家在午餐时去周围散心,和组织社交活动,为了把所有人连结在一起。

Zachary Elementary School in Zachary, Louisiana, has something they call a "Midweek Meetup,"

路易斯安那州扎卡里的扎卡里小学,则有“周中会议”活动,

where they invite teachers to share lunch and to talk about the things that are going well and the things that are weighing heavy on their hearts.

他们邀请老师共进午餐,谈论所有进展顺利的事情,以及让他们倍感压力的事情。

These schools are making space for conversations that matter.

这些学校为有价值的交流提供了空间。

Finally, my friend and colleague Jen Highstreet takes five minutes out of each day to write an encouraging note to a colleague,

最后,我的朋友和同事珍·海尔斯崔特,每天都会花五分钟给同事们留下鼓舞人心的便条,

letting them know that she sees their hard work and the heart that they share with others.

告诉我们她看到了他们的付出,以及他们与人分享的真心。

She knows that those five minutes can have an invaluable and powerful ripple effect across our school.

她明白这五分钟可以在整个学校产生无价的、强大的涟漪效应。

The chain that hangs in my classroom is more than just a decoration.

挂在我们教室里的链条远远不只是装饰品。

Those links hang over our heads for the entire four years that our students walk our halls.

在学生们走过的整个四年里,这些链条一直悬挂在上空。

And every year, I have seniors come back to my classroom, room 340, and they can still point out where their link hangs.

而每年,都会有高年级学生回到我所在的340班,指着挂着他们自己链条的地方。

They remember what they wrote on it.

他们记得自己在上面写下的内容。

They feel connected and supported.

他们感受到了彼此的联系和支持。

And they have hope.

他们有希望。

Isn't that what we all need?

这不就是我们所需要的吗?

Somebody to reach out and make sure that we're OK.

有人能来问问我们是否都好。

To check in with us and remind us that we are a link.

来关心我们,并提醒我们都是链条中的一环。

Every now and then, we all just need a little help holding the stapler.

时不时,我们都需要一点点帮助来握住那个订书机。

Thank you.

谢谢。


最新评论

快速回复 返回顶部 返回列表